Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Kangaroo, Ostrich & Crocodile? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/kangaroo-ostrich-and-crocodile-66985.html)

Restless 22-01-2015 17:50

Kangaroo, Ostrich & Crocodile?

Was behind a dude in iceland that was buying a load of meat products. The lady serving was having a full-on conversation with the dude about how he would cook said meat.
Key word I heard was Crocodile. "is that meat" the lady asked....Yup its meat replied the dude.

I looked at his shopping and indeed there was Crocodile burgers.

So I looked on-line and saw that Iceland have been selling Kangaroo, Ostrich & Crocodile meat as a nod to the TV show "im currently a nobody get me publicity...get me out of here" (im a celebrity get me out of here).

So wondering. Have any of you had Kangaroo, Ostrich & Crocodile? and if so how is it?

Less 22-01-2015 18:00

Re: Kangaroo, Ostrich & Crocodile?

I don't know what meat I eat, I shop at Tesco, I seem to remember the horse burger's were tasty.

Restless 22-01-2015 18:05

I used to like Steak Canadians and god knows what combination of animal went into making those

Less 22-01-2015 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1130651)
I used to like Steak Canadians and god knows what combination of animal went into making those

I'm sure if you look up googlie you will get an eyedeer.

Restless 22-01-2015 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1130652)
I'm sure if you look up googlie you will get an eyedeer.

Rumours where that some that was tested did have horse...others had Zebra :eek:

DaveinGermany 22-01-2015 18:32

Ostrich & Roo, at the Chinkys eat till you burst buffet. Choose lumps of meat of choice, put on plate, hand to the mental chefs, add sauce/Jus to taste & a couple of minutes later, fresh prepped scoff!

And yes, they taste good. :)

cashman 22-01-2015 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1130660)
Ostrich & Roo, at the Chinkys eat till you burst buffet. Choose lumps of meat of choice, put on plate, hand to the mental chefs, add sauce/Jus to taste & a couple of minutes later, fresh prepped scoff!

And yes, they taste good. :)

Ex Sqaddies, never were that fussy.:D

DtheP47 22-01-2015 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1130647)
So wondering. Have any of you had Kangaroo, Ostrich & Crocodile? and if so how is it?

Tried alligator tails in New Orleans.... tasted like chicken.. probably because that's what they feed em on the gator farms.

Worst meal I ever had was carp in Czech' tasted like the bottom of a pond.

Margaret Pilkington 22-01-2015 20:14

I have had Crocodile, and Kangaroo...the crocodile was Ok...tasted of chicken(maybe because that is what the farmed Crocs were fed on)...the Kangaroo meat was horrible.
I do not mind medium rare steak, but this Kangaroo could have been re-started by a vet with an electric probe.......the bloody thing(and I am not swearing, just being factual) could have hopped off my plate...it had only been shown the bottom of a hot pan.
The taste was a little bit sweet...like Lamb(to which I am allergic).
I could not eat it.....and etiquette or not, I spat out(into a paper tissue) the bit that I tried to eat.
Haven't tried Ostrich.......nor do I think I will be giving it a go.

AccyMad 22-01-2015 20:23

Tried Ostrich once, quite tasty - bought it from the food fair a few years ago - tastes a bit like lamb & is healthy as it's very low in fat

Studio25 22-01-2015 22:20

You can get Kangaroo, ostrich, moose and wild boar from Lidl in Blackburn. Apart from kangaroo, which was tough, they were all reasonable enough. The only one which was worth its inflated price was ostrich, which was lovely.

I had crocodile before at a restaurant, it was basically a tough chicken.

dotti34 23-01-2015 03:46

Kangaroo-tail soup is delicious – not unlike Oxtail soup, but needs a fair bit of preparation, lots of sinews to pull out. Kangaroo steak tastes quite strong but it’s very nice when marinated for a while and thrown on the barbie. Has to be cut properly though, otherwise if it’s just sliced any old way it is very tough.

Just don’t think of Skippy when eating it. But then it's also best not to think of Mary's little pet when eating lamb.....

Kangaroo is a quite expensive meal in restaurants, by the way.

Also had Emu steaks. Bit too strong for my tastebuds – very gamey – but him indoors says he enjoyed it. Again is a meat that has to be cut properly to be tender.

DtheP47 23-01-2015 07:05

Mouse casserole in Foshan, Guandong Province China was delicious.

Heavily laden with MSG though, I was spaced out for a while after.
:D

MargaretR 23-01-2015 07:16

We were in a hotel Bad Tolz in Bavaria, and due to limited knowledge of the language '5 of something' was ordered.

It looked like slugs, served with sewer smelling water - it didn't get eaten.

Barrie Yates 23-01-2015 08:03

Ostrich was OK, a bit dry but with Monkey Brain sauce it was fine. Had snake and lizard, no idea what sort, but with a good splash of Tabasco they were OK but of course the Tabasco covers just about everything.
Chocolate ants are OK - quite an unusual taste, sweet chocolate and formic acid makes for quite an unusual combination - mind you the Tiger Beer may have dulled the senses somewhat.