Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Is Accrington going to become a haven for the homeless? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/is-accrington-going-to-become-a-haven-for-the-homeless-67002.html)

Accyexplorer 28-01-2015 14:36

Is Accrington going to become a haven for the homeless?

I assume most towns have homeless folk in them.....You may of seen the poor guy who sleeps outside the old blockbuster video store or perhaps that "Johno" chap that sleeps outside the old tax office,I doubt you've seen the chap who lives in a container on the farm near mother redcap or the young lad who wanders from Bburn along the canal and sleep in a abandoned factory.

Now,I must emphasize, 'in no way am I having a go at these charities' but with places like hyndburn help I think that's it's name,the shop across from the town hall,maundy grange and St James church etc helping out these poor souls that are down on their luck,is Accrington going to become a haven for the homeless?

maxthecollie 28-01-2015 15:21

Re: Is Accrington going to become a haven for the homeless?

There were two blokes dossed down in the doorway of the old video shop rental place across from the Town Hall yesterday lunchtime.

cashman 28-01-2015 16:01

It became a haven fer junkies n dossers years ago thanks to HBC.:rolleyes:

maxthecollie 28-01-2015 17:03

And a little help from Maundy

Accyexplorer 28-01-2015 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1131306)
It became a haven fer junkies n dossers years ago thanks to HBC.:rolleyes:

But we're not talking about "junkies" or "dosser's",unless your saying that all those who are unfortunate enough to find themselves homeless fall into one of said categories?

Don't worry though C,Accrington police will have water cannons soon and that will clear them off the streets :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1131309)

Maundy grange may well of attracted a few "p1 double s takers' over the years but I think the government has a big part to play, if we're playing the blame game, after all they are ones that pursue policies that makes the uphill battle of the homeless and poor even worse.

The homeless tend to have very little in the way of representation apart from a few overworked, under funded charities like 'maundy'.
I knew Dorothy well,such a lovely lady with time for 'anyone'.

MargaretR 28-01-2015 18:02

There have always been homeless in Accy.
I recall that in thr 60's they dossed overnight in the brickworks for warmth from the kilns.
They weren't as visible there.

They attended 'the Nash' (National Assistance Board) for a small daily handout to pay for food.

cashman 28-01-2015 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1131309)

Thats me point they flourished through HBC. And accyx dorothy was a lovely lass no doubt at all, But you never had a business that was intimidated by some of the real clowns that inhabited Maundy, that used to stand outside the chemist on Peel St. Dorothys trouble was should never distinguish the difference. Really you should be on the football forum, yeh would get on well wi Davo.:rolleyes:

Accyexplorer 28-01-2015 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1131321)
There have always been homeless in Accy.
I recall that in thr 60's they dossed overnight in the brickworks for warmth from the kilns.
They weren't as visible there.

Yes I seem to recall a couple of them round that area back in the day, And a little later (80s) there was a chap (I think he was known locally as dancing billy) who I use to see all the time round were animal magic and the fish market use to be.

With all these rotting buildings in Accrington it's a shame nobody has turned one into a shelter,I believe there was talks of one down church but I haven't heard anything more about it.

DtheP47 28-01-2015 18:21

Haven: a place of refuge or rest: a sanctuary and place of safety.

Accyexplorer 28-01-2015 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1131323)
Thats me point they flourished through HBC. And accyx dorothy was a lovely lass no doubt at all, But you never had a business that was intimidated by some of the real clowns that inhabited Maundy, that used to stand outside the chemist on Peel St. Dorothys trouble was should never distinguish the difference. Really you should be on the football forum, yeh would get on well wi Davo.:rolleyes:

I've never really been one for being intimidated/irritatited by folk that are different from myself,though obviously I can see how some folk could see these folk as anti social characters.

As for the football threads.....Hmmm, think I'll give that one a miss ;)

Accyexplorer 28-01-2015 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1131326)
Haven: a place of refuge or rest: a sanctuary and place of safety.

Eh up,the padant police is here :p

DaveinGermany 28-01-2015 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1131330)

Would padant be something along the lines of pedant? Hmmmm! :s_aim1: ;)

Gordon Booth 28-01-2015 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1131335)
Would padant be something along the lines of pedant? Hmmmm! :s_aim1: ;)

Now, DinG, you're being padantic!

DtheP47 28-01-2015 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1131330)

Well better a pedant than a bell end with bluntly telegraphed messages and ambiguous posts.

Less 28-01-2015 20:07

Worse than all that, after all we can just about understand a homeless person staying close perhaps to his roots, is the mindless person that attempts to bring such topics to our attention without thinking the problem through.