Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Anyone know about bottles? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/anyone-know-about-bottles-67160.html)

Gordon Booth 03-04-2015 11:30

Re: Anyone know about bottles?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1137732)

Here is a collection of old dutton brewery beer bottles I decided to keep before giving the bulk away.

So,I'm going to keep them for when I decide to retire ;)

Attachment 48007

Sat there in your rocking chair staring at some empty beer bottles? Sounds fun.

Although I must admit I collect bottles- full ones! I lose interest when they're empty.

Accyexplorer 03-04-2015 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1137739)
Sat there in your rocking chair staring at some empty beer bottles? Sounds fun.

Although I must admit I collect bottles- full ones! I lose interest when they're empty.

The way things are going between Mrs E and I,the bottles are the only thing I'll have left to stare at...apparently I spend "too much time" on the PC :D

I lost interest when I found them,till I thought I could make a 'drink' on them ;)

Time for a little music

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8PlwyFmWVp8

Accyexplorer 29-04-2015 14:06

1 Attachment(s)
Another bottle I saved from the brink of death :)
Sorry it's sidewards:-

Attachment 48517

Gremlin 29-04-2015 15:12

Oh be joyful, I've emptied a few of those in my younger faraway days.
The owner of Duttons brewery had a car with the registration OBJ 1.

Gordon Booth 29-04-2015 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1139860)
Another bottle I saved from the brink of death :)
Sorry it's sidewards:-

Attachment 48517

It's also empty!
When are you going to start a proper collection?;)

Accyexplorer 29-04-2015 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1139862)
Oh be joyful, I've emptied a few of those in my younger faraway days.
The owner of Duttons brewery had a car with the registration OBJ 1.

I bet that Reg would of been a pretty penny.
You must of been loaded G :D....this size of bottle (approx half a pint) would of sold for around 1s 5d (about 8p) a whole tuppence more than a pint of decent bitter.i believe it was expensive because of the (high) alcohol content.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1139864)
It's also empty!

When I can put a stop my online shopping habit ;)

Gremlin 29-04-2015 20:57

In those days private number plates hadn't become fashionable.
You either got what was offered out of a group of the upto date registrations or asked for one to be reserved when it was due.
I remember being offered any from group of fifty but non meant anything, they were just what was due for issue.
A friend was the same, she took LHG 602 on anew Ford Prefect in 1962. It meant nothing but 600 and 601 had gone so she just took the next.
I wanted. RU55ELL but it went for £60 grand when it went on DVLA auction.
I seem to remember John C Bamford reserving a block of JCB 1 to 20 and some of the JCB fleet of vehicles still have them. My mate drove one of the delivery lorries with JCB 9 in late 60,s.

Accyexplorer 01-05-2015 10:03

Well my washer has arrived,it's a beast, far better pressure than sticking my thumb over the end of the hosepipe :)...

....I can't help thinking those who will pay 60k for a reg are trying to boost their ego,that's just daft imo.I'd pay £50 max for JAS0N1 ;)

Gordon Booth 01-05-2015 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1139930)
I'd pay £50 max for JAS0N1 ;)

You'd struggle. As I recall it's £80 admin fee to start with!

Gremlin 01-05-2015 20:07

ive had the same plate on three cars (one after each other) and it was £80 a time to change between cars.
I'm not sure but I think it's £100 now but as I say "I'm not sure".
You can search DVLA web site for unused numbers starting at £140, the cost of mine.
Specials go to auction and can make thousands.

DaveinGermany 01-05-2015 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1139864)

Just added to mine, was on-line ordering from the Whisky store, some presentation packs for our boy who's grafting away decorating & renovating our new residence & a couple of limited editions for our "Pension fund". ;)

Accyexplorer 02-05-2015 05:23

No chance of a private Reg for me then :(
I read that the highest selling number plate ever sold was 1 D which sold for around £350,000...

....i can only guess what the D stands for ;)

Gremlin 02-05-2015 07:07

Dave, You've got the right idea but don't forget to get some you can empty nice and slowly sat in front of a roaring fire on a cold frosty night.
Or any night that takes your Fancy.

Accyexplorer.
Fact.The numberplate "F1" is up for sale for an astonishing £10 million – six years after it was bought for a mere £440,000. The owner of the plate is Yorkshire-based car-tuning tycoon Afzal Kahn, who has it registered on to his Bugatti Veyron hypercar, worth around £1 million on its own.13 Jun 2014.

You may have seen the word "KHAN" on the back of a few Range Rovers, some being driven around Accrington. It replaces the Range Rover badge.
The cars are modified and tarted up at a cost of at least £30k and are black with darkened windows, similar to the driver.

DaveinGermany 02-05-2015 07:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1139996)
Dave, You've got the right idea but don't forget to get some you can empty nice and slowly sat in front of a roaring fire on a cold frosty night.
Or any night that takes your Fancy.

You may have seen the word "KHAN" on the back of a few Range Rovers, some being driven around Accrington.

Russ, I always do my friend, usually 3-4 bottles are ordered. 1 to open straight away to "taste" with the second when it's really good to ensure the "taste" wasn't some kind of fluke first time round & also to let some of the peasantry I know have a wee nip with the other 1/2 going away for posterity. :)

As to the Rangeys, I assume it's some kind of ethnic "Overfinch" variant, I vaguely recall seeing something on the telly about a Pakistani lad who'd gone self employed & started a business doing mods on cars, think it may well be him.

Gremlin 02-05-2015 07:58

I'm assuming then Dave that you're not the sort of man to drown your grog in Canada Dry or some other obnoxious liquid to take away the unique flavour of your favourite tipple.
Once in the Falls of Laura hotel just outside Oban I was in the bar when a touristy type came in and loudly ordered a scotch, "the best you have barman". Then proceeded to add a drop of Canada Dry ginger.
An old local sat nearby with his "wee dram" along side his "pint of heavy" almost lost his teeth chocking on the thought of destroying a product his ancestors had spent years perfecting.