Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Live chat room? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/live-chat-room-67187.html)

Accyexplorer 21-03-2015 15:34

Live chat room?

I'm not too sure if I've mentioned this before.
Could Accyweb do with a live chat room?
Some place members can natter live to others members without filling up threads with general chit chat.
A place to chat about any old nonsense from what type of birds visit your garden to a place where you can vent your issues after a afternoon up Stanley or in the local :D

Would it work? Has it been tried and failed?

I think it would be a good addition and I'm keen to know what others think about this also.

Mick 21-03-2015 15:41

Re: Live chat room?

Already tried this did not work and not worth the extra cost in running the site

Accyexplorer 21-03-2015 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1136692)
Already tried this did not work and not worth the extra cost in running the site

Fair play, I can respect that,it doesn't stop me thinking it would be a good idea :D

Is there no free chat function that could be added? And moderated by a select few members?

Or am I just being stupid? :p

accyman 21-03-2015 16:13

there was one years ago and it was quite busy for a while but as members dropped off the site the less the chat room got used

if i recall its peak time was between 10pm - 3am lol

cashman 21-03-2015 16:24

Seem to recall it was expensive to run n easy to hack? shame i used to use it quite a bit, but thats life.

Restless 22-03-2015 22:45

I too remember that too it was a security risk to the site.

You could set up a chatroom off site and integrate it into a page here using html embedding or whatever... aint sure if you can do that with tinychat.com but with that site you can have a load of webcams in one room for the chat... if thats what you're into :D

Accyexplorer 23-03-2015 06:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1136822)
I too remember that too it was a security risk to the site.

You could set up a chatroom off site and integrate it into a page here using html embedding or whatever... aint sure if you can do that with tinychat.com but with that site you can have a load of webcams in one room for the chat... if thats what you're into :D

Fair play,if it puts the security of the site at risk,it's probably best we don't have one.
I wasn't after going in a private room and going on cam to see who got the biggest lens :D...I just thought it might be a good addition so folk could have a little chit chat in real time.

cashman 23-03-2015 08:06

It was a reasonable idea, but a non-starter cos of the history,which yeh obviously wasn't aware of.;)

Neil 23-03-2015 08:47

It doesn't really put the security of the site at risk anymore than other add ons to the site like the gallery etc. The problem was that a vulnerability was found in the chat room add on. It caused the site problems and I think an alternative paid for chat room was added for a while but removed when it needed to be paid for again. The bit about paying might not be accurate but the cost and lack of use caused it to be taken down in the end.