Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Compliment or harassment? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/compliment-or-harassment-67308.html)

Accyexplorer 03-05-2015 21:26

Compliment or harassment?

Years ago,I use to work as a labourer on a building site,one of the first things I learnt was how to "wolf whistle".
When up on the scaffolding, some of the lads had a eagle eye for spotting good looking women and when they was at a certain distance they would let out a (often very loud) wolf whistle.

Now,fact is, some ladies would see this as a compliment letting out a uncrontrable smile while others would ignore or give abuse as they walked on by (abuse was often met by "you need to worry when we don't whistle").

Nowadays, the MSM portray the wolf whistle is sexist but is it really?
Is it one rule for one as this ad from diet coke shows women leering over a chap built like a outdoor lavvy like a bunch of hungry tigeress's
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PwYCvTpYMCA

I fully comprehend that folk should be allowed to go about their business without being leered at and some ladies may see it as intimidating ,but in your eyes is it a compliment or harrasment?

Accyexplorer 03-05-2015 21:50

Re: Compliment or harassment?

Is it really a job for the local bobbies?
Woman goes to police over wolf whistles - BBC Newsbeat

dotti34 03-05-2015 22:09

AccyX, Sorry to all those who think it is offensive/sexist/harassment/or whatever but I would LOVE to still attract wolf whistles!!!!!! I can remember when....

By the way, my husband used to work on building sites and I would guarantee he did his share of wolf whistles in his time.

Margaret Pilkington 03-05-2015 22:41

I think the case in question was more than just the odd wolf whistle....according to some reports, the man had blocked this girls way and his wolf whistling had become something which she felt was intimidating.
I don't know if she had asked him to stop...but she didn't like it.

Accyexplorer 03-05-2015 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1140154)
AccyX, Sorry to all those who think it is offensive/sexist/harassment/or whatever but I would LOVE to still attract wolf whistles!!!!!! I can remember when....

By the way, my husband used to work on building sites and I would guarantee he did his share of wolf whistles in his time.

I bet your kids (if you have them) don't rely on the other half for their good looks D (wit woo) ;).....
...joking aside,I also bet when this young lass is a little longer in the tooth she'll look back and wish she was still whistled at.
Back in the day (50s-60s) it was seen as a polite compliment and the ladies.as you say,would love it.....times have sadly changed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1140158)
I think the case in question was more than just the odd wolf whistle....according to some reports, the man had blocked this girls way and his wolf whistling had become something which she felt was intimidating.
I don't know if she had asked him to stop...but she didn't like it.

If this was my daughter M, my advice would be appreciate the fact someone likes the way you look and don't bother ringing the police as they usually have enough 'crime' to deal with....

...however,if the whistling was coupled with the likes of blocking her way then my advice would be go for the family jewels :)

Rowlf 04-05-2015 10:53

I always took it as a compliment. Sadly I'm too old now to get any .

Bob Dobson 04-05-2015 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowlf (Post 1140176)
I always took it as a compliment. Sadly I'm too old now to get any .

There's many a good tune played on an old fiddle.

Rowlf 04-05-2015 21:42

Ha ha. Never thought of that.

DaveinGermany 05-05-2015 05:01

I think it's discrimination! No one ever wolf whistled me, all I ever got was "Oy Baldy!" :D ;)

Neil 05-05-2015 05:05

There no need for it

Studio25 05-05-2015 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1140148)
...Nowadays, the MSM portray the wolf whistle is sexist but is it really?

Yes

If you also wolf whistled at blokes you found handsome, then it's not sexist.

Accyexplorer 05-05-2015 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1140233)
I think it's discrimination! No one ever wolf whistled me, all I ever got was "Oy Baldy!" :D ;)

Perhaps, you should of rang the Liechtenstein D ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studio25 (Post 1140242)
Yes

Very true,in a bid to not come across as sexist, I'll wolf whistle the next bloke I find handsome.....Don't hold ya breath tho ;)

Gordon Booth 05-05-2015 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studio25 (Post 1140242)
Yes

Yes but what do I do if he comes across and says 'Hello, gorgeous'?

Studio25 05-05-2015 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1140250)
...in a bid to not come across as sexist, I'll wolf whistle the next bloke I find handsome.....Don't hold ya breath tho ;)

This prompts a whole discussion about whether something is ___ist just because it's not part of your psychological makeup. Is it ageist to prefer particularly old or young partners. Is it racist to prefer (say) Asian partners. Is it sexist to prefer a particular gender.

Of course it's not, because that would make the whole idea of finding someone attractive "ugly-ist", but there will always be someone to turn it into a politically correct stance. I'm not one of them, so don't go wolf whistling men on my account :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1140252)
Yes but what do I do if he comes across and says 'Hello, gorgeous'?

Is that likely? When was the last time you wolf-whistled a woman and she came across and said "Hello, gorgeous"? ;)

Gordon Booth 05-05-2015 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studio25 (Post 1140253)

Is that likely? When was the last time you wolf-whistled a woman and she came across and said "Hello, gorgeous"? ;)

It's hard to say, it happens so often.
Last Friday, about 15.03 I think:D