Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Should the TV License be scrapped? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/should-the-tv-license-be-scrapped-67558.html)

kestrelx 15-08-2015 15:04

Should the TV License be scrapped?

I have come to the conclusion that TV license fee should be scrapped. Yes I pay for it and I find that it makes me want to watch more TV and if I got rid of the TV and told them so, they would still make me pay it because they wouldn't believe I had totally stopped watching it and still had access to it on computer or other devices.

These days you can watch TV in most library's on their computers - so why should we keep paying for it?

The alternative is that they scrap it and the BBC start having advertising. What they could do is keep BBC 1 as it is - with no ads and then have another channel like BBC 2 which has ad breaks or have all ad breaks and have private subscription channel kept as it is now with no ads.

I just think the license has had it's day - what does anyone here think?

cashman 15-08-2015 15:09

Re: Should the TV License be scrapped?

I think i may go to jail, then i can watch it all day n not pay for it.:D

Boeing Guy 15-08-2015 17:23

I do pay my TV License, but I do feel that it is outdated and should be axed.
There are lots of websites out there regarding this: Letters from BBC Television Licensing/intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lzS8yW8INA

Eric 15-08-2015 21:56

Haven't paid for a tv licence in almost 48 years ... which just happens to be the amount of time I've been in Canada.:D

gpick24 15-08-2015 22:34

We can decide whether we pay for other channels why not bbc?

Michael1954 15-08-2015 23:39

I think the BBC should pay us to watch it, especially as nearly every other programme seems to feature Clare Balding.

Barrie Yates 16-08-2015 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1147847)
We can decide whether we pay for other channels why not bbc?

The licence is to receive TV transmissions not just BBC. There are many free channels, you only pay for premium TV.

Studio25 16-08-2015 10:15

Does "live" programming include all the repeats?

DaveinGermany 16-08-2015 10:20

We've got the satellite dish set for the Astra 2d sat, so we get the UK telly channels without the extortionate licence fee. That said though we still pay the "GEZ", the German equivalent even though we don't use their services,

Accyexplorer 16-08-2015 16:27

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 50368

Barrie Yates 16-08-2015 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studio25 (Post 1147866)
Does "live" programming include all the repeats?

Anything that is being broadcast, whether a live show or a repeat is classed as a live transmission.

Barrie Yates 16-08-2015 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1147867)
We've got the satellite dish set for the Astra 2d sat, so we get the UK telly channels without the extortionate licence fee. That said though we still pay the "GEZ", the German equivalent even though we don't use their services,

We had the same in France, used Sky which was registered as being in UK, didn't use French TV but the "licence" is included in their version of Council Tax

DaveinGermany 16-08-2015 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1147896)
used Sky which was registered as being in UK,

I think most of the British military posted to Germany were using sky because BFBS/SSVC telly was crap. It's amazing how many troops didn't have a "house phone" & had to use a phone box on the corner to get the signal released while they could watch & wave to the Missus as she jiggled the dish to get a picture. ;)

Aussie Irene 17-08-2015 00:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1147804)
I have come to the conclusion that TV license fee should be scrapped. Yes I pay for it and I find that it makes me want to watch more TV and if I got rid of the TV and told them so, they would still make me pay it because they wouldn't believe I had totally stopped watching it and still had access to it on computer or other devices.

These days you can watch TV in most library's on their computers - so why should we keep paying for it?

The alternative is that they scrap it and the BBC start having advertising. What they could do is keep BBC 1 as it is - with no ads and then have another channel like BBC 2 which has ad breaks or have all ad breaks and have private subscription channel kept as it is now with no ads.

I just think the license has had it's day - what does anyone here think?

You do not have to pay for a TV license here in oz. We have been here over 40years and never had to pay for one.

Accyexplorer 17-08-2015 08:20

[QUOTE=Aussie Irene;1147941]
Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1147804)

I just think the license has had it's day - what does anyone here think?[/Q

You do not have to pay for a TV license here in oz. We have been here over 40years and never had to pay for one.

For the past 3yrs or so i've not watched TV and had no need for a license.Yet even after I've informed them of this they still send me letters (pictured above) which is a total waste of money as i don't even open them anymore (I'll spare you the rant about the oppressive presumption of guilt etc :D).they even pay capita to do the license processing now...another waste of money....

...like you say,it has had its day :)