Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Accrington Cemetery (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/accrington-cemetery-67785.html)

Morecambe Ex Pat 30-11-2015 17:06

Accrington Cemetery

Is the a list of graves at Accrington Library?

I have seen several partial lists online but not a complete list.

I have also checked on the HBC website and I am pleased to hear that Hyndburn is 'A Place to be an Excellent Council", I assume that the 'to be' reference refers to a plan for the future.

Retlaw 30-11-2015 19:18

Re: Accrington Cemetery

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1155755)
Is the a list of graves at Accrington Library?

I have seen several partial lists online but not a complete list.

I have also checked on the HBC website and I am pleased to hear that Hyndburn is 'A Place to be an Excellent Council", I assume that the 'to be' reference refers to a plan for the future.

As far as I am aware tere is no complete digital list for Accy Cem, when I've been withn queries about WW1 soldiers some have been on their computer others they have had to get the books out for, the records for all the cemeteries in Hyndburn (except churches) are kept at Accy Cem, It would be a monumental task to digitise all that is in their books.

Morecambe Ex Pat 01-12-2015 07:49

Thanks Retlaw, we are looking for the location of 2 graves in particular to see who else is buried in them.
We know the DOD of at least one person in each so that should narrow the search down.
We have sent emails to the cemeteries department and await their reply.

It is a pity that the records couldn't be entered by those individuals doing Community Service/ serving in Prison as there is no shortage of manpower there. The downside, of course, would be the need for accuracy and the scrotes don't care about anything else apart from themselves so accuracy would be a major issue.

Rowlf 01-12-2015 13:13

I wanted to find out where in Accrington cemetery my Great Grandparents were buried and I called in the office just inside the main gate. They were very helpful. I did know the month and year my G,Grandfather died and they found the grave very quickly. It was right next to my Grandparents which was a surprise.

RainbowSix 07-12-2015 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1155770)
It would be a monumental task to digitise all that is in their books.

A task that i'm sure that your capable of Retlaw, have you got a few weeks to spare to help them, I'm sure many would appreciate it. :)

(I am only kidding OM.)

In this day\age it's surprising to find anywhere that has not digitised all their old records.

ossy kid 09-12-2015 22:33

If you give me the names and d.o.d. of the people you are looking for I will check my cemetery records for you.

Morecambe Ex Pat 10-12-2015 19:18

Sorry for not replying sooner but power cuts have prevented us accessing the internet.

We contacted the crematorium office and they supplied us with all the relevant information we required. The people in that office need to be given a pat on the back for how efficiently they dealt with our enquiry.

We had a rushed visit to the crem this afternoon and located the grave but alas the headstone was absent. I assume it was one of those removed due to being unsafe over the past few years.

We will contact them again to find out what records they hold with regard to when and why headstones have been removed.

The names we are interested in are Hodgkinson and Clark.

Retlaw 10-12-2015 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowSix (Post 1156146)
A task that i'm sure that your capable of Retlaw, have you got a few weeks to spare to help them, I'm sure many would appreciate it. :)

(I am only kidding OM.)

In this day\age it's surprising to find anywhere that has not digitised all their old records.

You'd be surprised, there are 1000's of documents at Kew Record office that will never be digitised, on the several occasions I have been down there and wanted coppies of documents, they have refused to put them on a photo copier saying it damages the records, but they will photograph them onto film and make prints for you, you pay for all this, but they keep the negatives. The only way the WW1 Service records in the burnt and the unburnt sections, and the Medal records, is because Kew didn't have to pay for it.
There are also 1000s of records helld by the war office, the Red Cross, and numerous Regimental Museums that haven't digitised their records. It costs a bucket load of money just for the equipment, then labour costs and making the records searchable. Another thing at kew all bags are searched and only certain items are allowed to be taken in to the viewing rooms, your not allowed any writing instrument other than a pencil and woe betide you if you put your hands on the documents oter thanto turn the pages, paper slips are providedc to rest your hands on, and you will be shot if you produc a digi camera or phone.

ossy kid 11-12-2015 02:36

Glad you were able to get the info you were looking for, I checked my records and found graves with Hodgkinson in them and others with Clarks in them. It is sad that they have "stolen" lots of the character from many graves. We were there this year and one of "our" graves was only a fraction of what it was the last time we were there, the only reason they could give was that it was probably dangerous. It wasn't dangerous a couple of years ago and it had been around for over a hundred years. I must say though that it is one of the best kept cemeteries around.

Atarah 11-12-2015 07:22

Hi glad you got sorted. Had wanted to tell you the Lancashire Family History group have many of the headstones for Accrington cemetery listed on a CD

Morecambe Ex Pat 12-12-2015 08:39

The crematorium office supplied details of the occupants of the grave but we wanted a photograph of the headstone for our website. Are there photos on the CD or only documentation?