Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Details about major street Accrington (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/details-about-major-street-accrington-69024.html)

Abigail n ciaran 16-03-2017 14:17

Details about major street Accrington

Just wondering wot the area is like as thinking of buying a property on tht street

Margaret Pilkington 16-03-2017 14:39

Re: Details about major street Accrington

It used to be a lovely street, but it has become a little 'down at heel' recently.
(I grew up in that area...a long time ago)

You need to visit the area and perhaps speak to some of the people who live there(that is, if they speak English...I suspect many of them don't).
I don't want to put you off...so go and have a look at the place.

MargaretR 16-03-2017 16:15

You can view the area using google maps street view

Margaret Pilkington 16-03-2017 16:30

Yes, that is an option Margaret, but to really get to know the place you need to visit in person and perhaps speak to residents of the street(neighbours at either side of the house you might buy).
Buying a house is a big investment and something you really need to do justice to by the measures I have suggested.
I would not like to live there now.

Less 16-03-2017 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abigail n ciaran (Post 1190093)
Just wondering wot the area is like as thinking of buying a property on tht street

Full of people that can't spell very well, needs to be avoided.

maxthecollie 17-03-2017 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1190094)
It used to be a lovely street, but it has become a little 'down at heel' recently.
(I grew up in that area...a long time ago)

You need to visit the area and perhaps speak to some of the people who live there(that is, if they speak English...I suspect many of them don't).
I don't want to put you off...so go and have a look at the place.

I use to live on Hope Street in the end house (corner of Major Street) The area now is nowhere as nice as it was then in the 1960's. I too would not like to live in that area again.

Margaret Pilkington 17-03-2017 12:42

All those areas were really pleasant places to live. Hope St, Major St, Higher Antley St, Garbett St, Richmond Hill St.
Now a lot of them have become very run down. Don't know if it is because of neglectful residents or whether it is poor landlords...but it not very nice.
The people who lived there back in the days we are familiar with were very proud of their homes. Steps cleaned regularly and donkey stoned, fronts swept, gardens maintained.
I don't buy the excuse that people are busier these days...there were far fewer labour saving devices back then... Fewer automatic washers, dryers.
People shopped daily and cooked good meals from scratch...often they had allotments, chickens,vegetable patches.
I think it all boils down to poor stewardship of homes.