Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Howard and Bullough - Attleboro Mill (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/howard-and-bullough-attleboro-mill-69322.html)

Morecambe Ex Pat 12-08-2017 15:21

Howard and Bullough - Attleboro Mill

As part of our genealogy research we are looking for information about the Howard and Bullough factory - Attleboro Mill in Massachusetts.

We know that some of our descendants went out there to set up that factory but we were wondering if anyone had any information about how they might have been recruited. The ones who went were blacksmiths so had the right trade to be of use but wondered if anyone had read any accounts of reps of the company travelling the area.

We have some information about the USA side of things from contacts in Fall River MA but wondered if anyone had any information from the UK side. There is some info at Accrington library which still needs looking through but we cannot get there just at the moment.

Bob Dobson 12-08-2017 20:28

Re: Howard and Bullough - Attleboro Mill

In 1978 I visited Lowell, near to Fall River and went to a former cotton weaving shed now a museum. It was fitted with what I knew were Lancashire looms, on the end of which was cast iron plates bearing the maker's name, which I think was Entwistle of Mass. I feel sure they would be made by Bullough's and cast with his name put on.
Many years ago, I came across a cutting from the Observer - it was a letter dated late 1800s written by an Accringtonian who had emigrated out to Mass and told of a gathering of Accy folk in New England - about 400 of them. Atarah Hindle may know where this cutting can be found - if not, then try John Simpson in the library - [email protected]

Retlaw 12-08-2017 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1199445)
In 1978 I visited Lowell, near to Fall River and went to a former cotton weaving shed now a museum. It was fitted with what I knew were Lancashire looms, on the end of which was cast iron plates bearing the maker's name, which I think was Entwistle of Mass. I feel sure they would be made by Bullough's and cast with his name put on.
Many years ago, I came across a cutting from the Observer - it was a letter dated late 1800s written by an Accringtonian who had emigrated out to Mass and told of a gathering of Accy folk in New England - about 400 of them. Atarah Hindle may know where this cutting can be found - if not, then try John Simpson in the library - [email protected]

Aye Dobbo, you'd be surprised how many men in my files went to, or came from Fall River, a lot were weavers, but there were quite a few of Bullers Outfitters, and even more of them when Bullers opened shop in Septic Land. After the war those who had come back to blighty to serve in the forces, could have assisted pasage back home. Several of Bullers Outfitters were stuck in Russia when WW1 broke out, make you wonder how or who paid the wages of those Outfitters, there were even some working in Argentina, & Brazil.

Morecambe Ex Pat 13-08-2017 06:28

Thanks for that, we have a number of reasons to visit Accrington library again but we have found such visits to be full day jobs and I wish I had done this research while I lived in Accrington.

There were a few emigrants in the family but our most direct descendant is William Hodgkinson.1840 who emigrated 15th May 1883 to Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts on the S S Missouri.

I have also seen a reference to 'A Brief History of the Globe Works', in a link from wiki to the HBC website but the link is a dead end. I have contacted HBC to see if that article is still available.