Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Rutland Street (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/rutland-street-69887.html)

Morecambe Ex Pat 09-03-2018 18:26

Rutland Street

I am pretty sure that Rutland Street was off Blackburn Road but can you please help in locating it exactly.

Margaret Pilkington 09-03-2018 19:35

Re: Rutland Street

Rutland Street Garage Opening Hours 2018 | The Time Now

There is a map on this page So you can see for yourself

Morecambe Ex Pat 10-03-2018 06:13

Thanks Margaret, I used to deliver building materials around the Accrington, back in the last century and have delivered to most streets in the town. I still remember where most of them are but that one had me stumped.

landhusweg 10-03-2018 07:48

Good work Margaret.
I was going to suggest going into Google Earth to find the street, but after doing this myself, the only thing that showed up was Rutland Close in Clayton-le-Moors.
It would seem that Google Earth is not by any means the "Bible" for maps.

Cheers
Philip

Margaret Pilkington 10-03-2018 08:53

You are welcome...glad to be able to help.

Morecambe Ex Pat 10-03-2018 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by landhusweg (Post 1209923)
Good work Margaret.
I was going to suggest going into Google Earth to find the street, but after doing this myself, the only thing that showed up was Rutland Close in Clayton-le-Moors.
It would seem that Google Earth is not by any means the "Bible" for maps.

Cheers
Philip

I did the same thing Phillip and now wish I had kept my well thumbed copy of Shurmer's Guide. I am plotting the co-ordinates of all of our census records onto a Google map and need all the help I can get. I have plotted a number of missing streets in both Blackburn and Accrington but Rutland Street had me baffled. As always, the good folks of Accy Web came to the rescue.

Retlaw 10-03-2018 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1209898)
I am pretty sure that Rutland Street was off Blackburn Road but can you please help in locating it exactly.

Ay eck Morecambe, looks like none of the others are any elp, having been in Fire Brigade we had to know where streets were with out any head scratchin, jump int machine headlight and flashers on an roar of down road left at traffic light the on towards Church an on your left betwen Leyland St, and Lonsdale St, was Rutland St, most of the streets on that side of the road are only little short streets because of the railway line from Ossy, like Barlow, Porter, Percival, Holland & Poland
Not forgetting Lang, Grant, and Wheat, just after Wilows Lane.

Retlaw 10-03-2018 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1209940)
I did the same thing Phillip and now wish I had kept my well thumbed copy of Shurmer's Guide. I am plotting the co-ordinates of all of our census records onto a Google map and need all the help I can get. I have plotted a number of missing streets in both Blackburn and Accrington but Rutland Street had me baffled. As always, the good folks of Accy Web came to the rescue.

Sumat else I forgot in the other post, I knew Adrian Shurmer very well, he operated out of the Police Garage in Grange Lane, Adrian use to consult our records when he was creatin his guide, we had rcords mot just on streets, but back alleys ginnals, premises. and water supplies, Adrian also made several deliberate mistakes in his books and street plans, I challenged him on several points, and he just laughed, and said thee an me know there wrong, thats to catch the plagarists, which he did.

Good un Adrian me owd fettler R.I.P .

Morecambe Ex Pat 10-03-2018 15:13

I knew all the roads 30 years or more back and still remember most of them.

I too knew Adrian well as I did a lot of work for him but not on the street guide. He was a great bloke and I will always remember him saying he was too honest to be a politician.

cashman 10-03-2018 18:06

Was there a little Joiners Shop on Rutland St?:confused:

Ryewolf90 10-03-2018 20:28

A while back I was trying to remember the name of the street between Lonsdale St and Leyland St as friends from school (Peter and Juliet Inksman - actually it might have been spelled Hinksman) lived on the corner of Blackburn Rd and Rutland St. This was back in the early 60's to mid 70's, I often wonder what happened to all these people I knew from around this area. We lived at number 10 Lonsdale St (between 1962-77)

Morecambe Ex Pat 10-03-2018 21:12

There must have been hundreds of houses knocked down around there but where did all the people go?

Bob Dobson 11-03-2018 08:16

Several of the streets that Retlaw has mentioned have been demolished. At least one has been re-named. Steiner gave the streets their names, though why he chose Rutland I am unsure. However, it is one of several in the town named after English counties,

Bob Dobson 11-03-2018 10:45

I have fund my notes on Rutland St. They show that , before Steiner owned the land, it was owned by the Peels and Steiner didn't change the name allocated to it at the early planning stage. Some streets on Peel land were given county names, but not in clusters, just occasionally. However it is also possible that the Peels knew Charles Cecil John Manners, 6th Duke of Rutland who was a Conservative cabinet member with and under Lord Derby, a big mate of the Peels. He would be known to the Sir Robert Peel, who was PM in the 1830s & 40s. He was a very wealthy landowner and someone the Accrington Peels would associate with.

Barrie Yates 11-03-2018 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1210016)
Was there a little Joiners Shop on Rutland St?:confused:

Don't remember a Joiners but there was a Grocers, name of Snape I think, top section.

Barrie Yates 11-03-2018 15:43

Rutland St was on my paper round in the early '50s - from Keneallys (?) on Lonsdale St.

Morecambe Ex Pat 12-03-2018 09:59

For the latest mystery location, we move to Ossy and a road I have never heard of. Is anyone familiar with Vale Lane Stanhill?

Morecambe Ex Pat 12-03-2018 18:26

Back in Accrington and I am looking to confirm a bit of deduction.
We have an 1891 census for Rough Lee Road Accrington, the houses are listed in order and we get to the unadopted road at the top.

Rough Lee House ( former maternity home is listed)
Quarry Hill House, which I assume is the large house on the left
and then we get to a group of houses listed as Eaton Bank, where the people we are interested in live at number 7.

I am pretty sure that this has to be the large house we can see from Royds Street but I just want to confirm my information and possibly find out more about the history of what looks like what was originally a very large house.

Retlaw 12-03-2018 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1210134)
Back in Accrington and I am looking to confirm a bit of deduction.
We have an 1891 census for Rough Lee Road Accrington, the houses are listed in order and we get to the unadopted road at the top.

Rough Lee House ( former maternity home is listed)
Quarry Hill House, which I assume is the large house on the left
and then we get to a group of houses listed as Eaton Bank, where the people we are interested in live at number 7.

I am pretty sure that this has to be the large house we can see from Royds Street but I just want to confirm my information and possibly find out more about the history of what looks like what was originally a very large house.

Ey up More Cambe. Ive lived in Rough Lee Rd for over 50 years, I was born in the old maternity, an in all that time I've only been up to Eaton Bank Rough Lee Rd 1/2 dozen times, My electors list for 1914, shows a Charles Dawson at No 7 Eaton Bank, pity can't help you any further.

Morecambe Ex Pat 13-03-2018 06:53

Thanks Retlaw,

Our chap was William Chapman 1805 - 1904, Assistant manager in a print works, we think it was Broad Oak but the jury is still out.
In 1881, he and his family lived at 10 Hollins Lane, then in 1891, they are at Eaton Place and by 1901 they are round the corner at Holly Bank. Eaton Place and Holly bank are both houses I have never heard of and it is interesting to get some background on the houses themselves. Eaton Bank looks like a big house rather than separate ones.

I am plotting the co-ordinates of all the census records we have, onto a Google Map, only 50 more to do out of over 400, hence why I am at the 'W's.

Is the electors list available online? When we were in Accy library we got a lot of info from the books upstairs.

Bob Dobson 13-03-2018 08:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1210152)
Thanks Retlaw,

Our chap was William Chapman 1805 - 1904, Assistant manager in a print works, we think it was Broad Oak but the jury is still out.
In 1881, he and his family lived at 10 Hollins Lane, then in 1891, they are at Eaton Place and by 1901 they are round the corner at Holly Bank. Eaton Place and Holly bank are both houses I have never heard of and it is interesting to get some background on the houses themselves. Eaton Bank looks like a big house rather than separate ones.

I am plotting the co-ordinates of all the census records we have, onto a Google Map, only 50 more to do out of over 400, hence why I am at the 'W's.

Is the electors list available online? When we were in Accy library we got a lot of info from the books upstairs.

How will having the co-ordinates help or be beneficial? I've not heard of this before.

Retlaw 13-03-2018 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1210152)
Thanks Retlaw,

Hiyer Morcambee, Eaton Bank is actually a row of houses, can't remember how many but the have the same numbers as our block lower down, posty used used to do his nut at one time, till tey got a different post code up top, then when they made the Christ Church School into flats, same, we still get folk knockin on our doar looking for the tenants.
I know the owner of Holly Bank quite well, but I've never actually gone thro the gateway.
Sorry the Accy 1914 electors is not online, all the stuff in these computers is the result of 30 years or more of being a nosy ******, and why, where, & how, can't elp misen, took me months back in the 1990's at Fulwood, got fed up of searchin the medal rolls for Pals so I did the lot, over 35500 of them, just so I could sit on me backside here, an find them at mi leisure. Same with the local news papers for WW1, skenning at a micro viewer in library did my ead in, so they managed to get me those old news papers, and I photographed the lot, my backside an the cushions on my swivel chair are old friends an can't stand being parted.
By the way John Simpson works in the Accy Library Reference room on Mondays & Fridays, now John really knows his stuff, if any thing exists in Accy Libray John will know.
Just been thinking over what you are trying to achieve, eck thump, an theer were me thinking I was the only Barmpot trying to do the impossible, and you turn up, Crikey Moses.

Morecambe Ex Pat 14-03-2018 20:57

The section of the Hodgkinson Clark website containing the info is not yet visible as it is a work in progress. I have been down in Accy for the past couple of days due to a family emergency but will post a link to the info when I get time. The coordinates are so that the positions can be plotted on a Google map but it will make more sense when you see the relevant census pages. I have the US and Canadian censuses to do yet but I am getting the UK ones working first.

Morecambe Ex Pat 14-03-2018 21:01

It may have been John Simpson who dug out a plaque for us. It was a Roll of Honour from (I think) Avenue Parade Methodist Church. We had asked about it and he knew what we were referring to.

Retlaw 14-03-2018 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1210311)
It may have been John Simpson who dug out a plaque for us. It was a Roll of Honour from (I think) Avenue Parade Methodist Church. We had asked about it and he knew what we were referring to.

Yep it must have been John, those Rolls of Honour in the back room are what Bill Turner and I manage to rescue whilst we were reseachin Accy Pals. Unfortunately we didn't manage to rescue all of them, many had been skipped as buildings changed hands or were demolished, what was worst thou, the number of metal ones that had been stolen for scrap value.

Morecambe Ex Pat 15-03-2018 15:32

Thanks are due to yourself and Bill for this then. Unfortunately, it was the Roll of Honour we were searching for but having photographed the plaque, it seemed a waste not to include it in our archives.
The Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter and Lofthouse Archive

Retlaw 15-03-2018 22:50

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1210337)
Thanks are due to yourself and Bill for this then. Unfortunately, it was the Roll of Honour we were searching for but having photographed the plaque, it seemed a waste not to include it in our archives.

This one is the only one I've ever seen fo Ave Pde.
I have come across several referances that men, both those killed and suvivors who were associated with that church, but I've never seen a separate Roll of Honour, some church's did have two, one the Roll of Honour, and the other was refered to as a Roll of Glory, wich only listed those who did not return. Not many church's had two though, just one with asterisks to denote those killed.

Morecambe Ex Pat 16-03-2018 06:59

It was the Sunday School Roll of Honour which was mentioned in an article you supplied a few years ago.

Retlaw 16-03-2018 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1210360)
It was the Sunday School Roll of Honour which was mentioned in an article you supplied a few years ago.

Bloomin Eck don't remember that, teks m all m time to remember to tek me pills these days.

ferret man 16-03-2018 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1210051)
I have fund my notes on Rutland St. They show that , before Steiner owned the land, it was owned by the Peels and Steiner didn't change the name allocated to it at the early planning stage. Some streets on Peel land were given county names, but not in clusters, just occasionally. However it is also possible that the Peels knew Charles Cecil John Manners, 6th Duke of Rutland who was a Conservative cabinet member with and under Lord Derby, a big mate of the Peels. He would be known to the Sir Robert Peel, who was PM in the 1830s & 40s. He was a very wealthy landowner and someone the Accrington Peels would associate with.

There was a family called Peel used to live on dale St in the 50s

Morecambe Ex Pat 20-03-2018 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1210371)
Bloomin Eck don't remember that, teks m all m time to remember to tek me pills these days.

Don't suppose you remember that tenner you borrowed in 1972 either, do you :)

We were down in Accrington for the weekend and had a wander up Avenue Parade, to Peel park. The story I heard was that avenue parade was built as an avenue for the Peel's to get to St James Church but if that is the case, where would they be coming from?

I did a search on Google for this information but Google appears more interested in promoting its advertisers, these days, instead of providing the requested facts. For some reason, when requesting a street's history, Google thinks you want to buy a house there.

Retlaw 20-03-2018 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1210566)
Don't suppose you remember that tenner you borrowed in 1972 either, do you :)

We were down in Accrington for the weekend and had a wander up Avenue Parade, to Peel park. The story I heard was that avenue parade was built as an avenue for the Peel's to get to St James Church but if that is the case, where would they be coming from?

I did a search on Google for this information but Google appears more interested in promoting its advertisers, these days, instead of providing the requested facts. For some reason, when requesting a street's history, Google thinks you want to buy a house there.

You rotten liar, its thee as owes me a tenner.
Avenue Parade was originally Peels private road to St James Church, as was Peel St., and the area up top of Ave Pde is refered to as Peel Park, Peel House wasn't actually in Ave Pde, it was in the Essex St area, there were also gates at bottom of Ave Pde, and a lodge house for the gate keeper.
I seem to remember Atarah Hindle has photos of Peels House, and they have been on here before, or Hyndburn Chat in the past..
And now thats 20 quid you owe me.
Do they still have coach trips to Morecambe to watch the traffic light change, seem to remember a big toddoo when one ot bulbs blew & neded changing.

Mark2009 20-03-2018 15:59

There is a photo of Accrington House which was the home of the Peels in the Heritage and History section dated 26/9/2011, not sure of the way to link that post to this reply.
Mark

gpick24 20-03-2018 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark2009 (Post 1210571)
There is a photo of Accrington House which was the home of the Peels in the Heritage and History section dated 26/9/2011, not sure of the way to link that post to this reply.
Mark

Is it this thread?
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ion-59351.html

Mark2009 20-03-2018 16:27

That's the one , thanks

Bob Dobson 20-03-2018 20:56

By the time Rutland St was built, the Peels had sold most of the land along Blackburn Rd from the Grammar School to Church to Frederick Steiner, who had also bought their house in Church bottom of Dill Hall Lane.

Morecambe Ex Pat 21-03-2018 07:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1210570)
You rotten liar, its thee as owes me a tenner.
Avenue Parade was originally Peels private road to St James Church, as was Peel St., and the area up top of Ave Pde is refered to as Peel Park, Peel House wasn't actually in Ave Pde, it was in the Essex St area, there were also gates at bottom of Ave Pde, and a lodge house for the gate keeper.
I seem to remember Atarah Hindle has photos of Peels House, and they have been on here before, or Hyndburn Chat in the past..
And now thats 20 quid you owe me.
Do they still have coach trips to Morecambe to watch the traffic light change, seem to remember a big toddoo when one ot bulbs blew & neded changing.

You obviously haven't been to Morecambe for a while, the latest attraction is located at the Entrance to Happy Mount Park where a number of retired firemen can be seen trying to work out if they are going in or leaving.

Morecambe Ex Pat 21-03-2018 07:33

The shiny arch at the entrance to Peel Park looked very nice in the sunshine, were the carvings on the pillars to celebrate the millennium or something else?

We didn't do the climb up onto the Coppice as we were limited for time. Last time we were up there, much of the view was obscured by trees, have they left clearings or is it all masked by trees?

gpick24 21-03-2018 07:41

1 Attachment(s)
There are benches near the monument where you can see over the tops of the trees

Morecambe Ex Pat 21-03-2018 10:31

Great photo

Thanks, it is a few years since I have been up there but good to know that the climb is worth the effort. We are down there again, in a few days time, so may get the time to revisit the playground of my youth.

Retlaw 21-03-2018 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1210590)
You obviously haven't been to Morecambe for a while, the latest attraction is located at the Entrance to Happy Mount Park where a number of retired firemen can be seen trying to work out if they are going in or leaving.

No I haven't been to Mor E Cambe since 1957, I did 3 months there, for at that time it was the training center. As for the ex fire lads they are just carrying on the tradition, all firemen are great practical jokers, and they are just enjoying them selves winding you lot up, I used to be a on the executive committee of FFBPJA
Fellow of the Fire Brigade Practical Jokers Association.
You have to be crazy to do some of the jobs we did.
And stop trying to weasel out on that 20 quid you still owe me