Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Robinson's Fever Cure (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/robinsons-fever-cure-70394.html)

TubbyLes 28-01-2019 18:40

Re: Robinson's Fever Cure

FENNINGS little healers still going Fennings Little Healers 20mg tablets | LloydsPharmacy Info on Fennings fever mixture Bottle of Fennings' Fever Mixture, England, 1950-1960

Margaret Pilkington 28-01-2019 19:00

It says you need a prescription for this....heck we used to buy them at Greenhalgh's grocers....I think they were 4d.
And it does not say what is in them!

Margaret Pilkington 28-01-2019 19:10

Now I know...it's ipecacuhana...i use that as a homeopathic remedy for coughs....and it works.

Margaret Pilkington 28-01-2019 19:16

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ngs-57170.html
See...we are still chewing on the same subjects.

Steerforth 01-02-2019 02:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1223529)
Now I know...it's ipecacuhana...i use that as a homeopathic remedy for coughs....and it works.

Spirit of Ipecac makes you throw up (calls for 'Ralph').

Well, we never did find anything definitive about Robinson's, but thanks to you all for your ideas and comments.

Margaret Pilkington 01-02-2019 10:08

Yes, it was commonly used to treat those in A&E who had taken overdoses(in the cases where it was safe to induce vomiting)....but in small doses it is effective in clearing the chest of mucus.
I use the homeopathic version of this and it is effective(my daughter is a trained homeopath).
We might not have got to the bottom of things, but it has produced some interesting nostalgic posts(that can't be bad).

Luckyboy 19-08-2019 19:38

Fennings Fever Cure was a clear liquid with a very sour taste

Steerforth 04-10-2020 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steerforth (Post 1223433)
"Robinson's Fever Cure"

Circa 1950, my mother used to give me and my sister a dark syrupy liquid from a bottle when we were ill with a cold. I think this was the name, but I am not positive.

It tasted like Jaegermeister liquor.

I can find nothing whatsoever via Google, so I am wondering if it was only a local product sold in the Accy area.

Any help?

Thanks!

Still wondering about this, and I stumbled across the name "Roberts Lobeline" (tastes good!"). But the name doesn't Google. Have you heard of it?

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discus...m-childhood/p6

Margaret Pilkington 04-10-2020 17:56

Nope, that does not ring any bells for me.
If we had a cough Ma would trot along to Thornbers chemists and get the chemist to make up a cough bottle....brown liquid or sticky sweet cherry.
The brown tasted horrible and the cherry...well it never saw cherries...the closesti t came to cherry was the colour.
Venos was available, but the bottles were to small(and too eear) for the industrial use that our large family needed.

Steerforth 04-10-2020 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1245387)
Nope, that does not ring any bells for me.
If we had a cough Ma would trot along to Thornbers chemists and get the chemist to make up a cough bottle....brown liquid or sticky sweet cherry.
The brown tasted horrible and the cherry...well it never saw cherries...the closesti t came to cherry was the colour.
Venos was available, but the bottles were to small(and too eear) for the industrial use that our large family needed.

Also, Owbridges Cough Mixture, but the name is unfamiliar to me.

Owbridge's Lung Tonic, 1939 - The Skittish Library

Margaret Pilkington 04-10-2020 18:40

Yes, I remember that one too, but I can't say we ever had it....or not that I remember.

joaner3 04-10-2020 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1223473)
Well, I know that Robitussin has a few flavours, but back in the 50's which is when you are talking about....cough mixture was invariably brown and gloopy....or a terrible red artificial cherry flavour.
You were meant to hold your nose and swallow it....if you complained you were told that it had to taste bad to do you good:confused::confused::confused:.
Never really got that concept....well, yes perhaps I did.
I actually liked Chlorodyne....and was once found under the stairs at my grandmas having slurped a goodly amount.
I only did it once.....I was given salt water to drink to make me sick it up

here in Canada we have Buckley's cough mixture, and it tastes horrible.

joaner3 04-10-2020 20:28

Margaret, we must have lived near each other, we used to go to Thornbers Chemist, we lived on Arncliffe Ave.

Margaret Pilkington 04-10-2020 20:33

We lived on Riley's hill and my mum stayed there until she died in feb 2018.
(near Priestly clough and Highams weaving shed)
The Thornbers we went to was on Ormerod St.
Thornbers had chemists all over the locality...and when I married and moved to Clayton, there was one on the corner of the street.
It was a good job too.....when I was pregnant I got what they called a 40 week cough....drank bottles and bottles of their own made cough mixture

Lost in Cornwall 05-10-2020 09:07

I remember talking to a woman a few years ago who'd worked as a receptionist for a village doctor where they dispensed their own medicines. She told me they had 2 big vats of cough mixture that were different colours but essentially the same stuff. Wonder if that was the same with Thornbers. I'm sure I had both colours at some point along with some really bright yellow stuff that they used to give me for hay fever.