Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2013, 09:29   #16
Beacon of light

Re: A question for Clayton 'bottom enders'

My mother in law moved down to Lower Barnes Street from the top end of Clayton......she lived there until she died and she was very happy in her sheltered accommodation flat......she had a second floor flat and could see out over Clayton...she wasn't far from the park and she could go there for a gentle stroll on sunny days.
Margaret, go for it.
MargaretR likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-06-2013, 09:35   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
My mother in law moved down to Lower Barnes Street from the top end of Clayton......she lived there until she died and she was very happy in her sheltered accommodation flat......she had a second floor flat and could see out over Clayton...she wasn't far from the park and she could go there for a gentle stroll on sunny days.
Margaret, go for it.
Even before seeing it I have got a removal estimate.

Wherever you live there will be some 'negatives' - the 'trick' is finding a place that meets most of your needs and only has 'bad points' that you know you can cope with.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:59   #18

I grew up in the bottom end of Clayton , my family still live there , i would move back tomorrow but the one thing that bothers me is the traffic in a morning , from sparth to hare n hounds is like a car park at times
Old 11-06-2013, 11:04   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAZ1975 View Post
I grew up in the bottom end of Clayton , my family still live there , i would move back tomorrow but the one thing that bothers me is the traffic in a morning , from sparth to hare n hounds is like a car park at times
I found that when I lived in Church - Henry St was gridlocked in rush hours. It started after the motorway was built. If you are near any motorway exit you have to expect it (unfortunately)

Old 11-06-2013, 12:50   #20
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Even before seeing it I have got a removal estimate.

Wherever you live there will be some 'negatives' - the 'trick' is finding a place that meets most of your needs and only has 'bad points' that you know you can cope with.
After living at the bottom of Henry St in Clayton, my mother in law found it really peaceful and quiet.

I think you are spot on with your comments about where to live...there will always be some drawbacks, but as long as the good points out number the bad ones, then you are onto a winner.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:12   #21

My mother used to call it goin' round th'ounds as well. Don't know what the origin of that is.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 19:58   #22
Senior Member+

Wouldn't that be the Hare and Hounds pub?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 07:52   #23

No. Miles away from there. This is the track that runs along the side of the Hyndburn from Lower Barnes Street to Whalley Road, so the very bottom end of Clayton. The Hare and Hounds pub is at the corner of Blackburn Road and Whalley Road up top end.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 08:39   #24

My dad still calls the route from Clayton to Harwood via Lower Barnes Street "o'er switchback"
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 10:30   #25
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by smobile View Post
My dad still calls the route from Clayton to Harwood via Lower Barnes Street "o'er switchback"
smobile Ive always called it the same and walked it many times.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 12:08   #26

when i first stated work i used to pedal that way on my bike , i didn't realise you could still get through ,i thought they'd blocked it off at the Harwood end when they extended the industrial estate
Old 15-06-2013, 15:14   #27
God Member

I viewed it today and have applied for it. I will have to wait a week to see whether I get it. There were two young couples viewing at the same time, so I do have some competition - fingers crossed.

Old 15-06-2013, 15:19   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Good luck margaret hope yeh get it. surely yeh must have priority oer young uns?? or is that another thing of the past?
Old 15-06-2013, 15:48   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Good luck margaret hope yeh get it. surely yeh must have priority oer young uns?? or is that another thing of the past?
Age doesn't count with private landlords. They are more concerned with ability to pay and credit rating, and also whether you have kids and pets which could damage the place.

When I got back home I had an email alert from Rightmove that a house on the estate is on offer at £25 a month LESS - so I am hoping the competition will prefer that.

Old 15-06-2013, 15:55   #30
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

A question for Clayton 'bottom enders'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I viewed it today and have applied for it. I will have to wait a week to see whether I get it. There were two young couples viewing at the same time, so I do have some competition - fingers crossed.
If that doesn't work out below is the email of an agent, he may be able to assist:-

[email protected]
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..