Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-11-2013, 03:54   #61

Re: A question for Clayton 'bottom enders'

I remember a reporter in the Observer named Joinson, in the 60s. I think they might have had something to do with the building trade as well, in Clayton.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-11-2013, 07:17   #62

That was Rowland Joynson. He spelt his surname with a y rather than an i although I think they may have been the same family. I think he published some books on the local area as well.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 12:00   #63
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Cornwall View Post
That was Rowland Joynson. He spelt his surname with a y rather than an i although I think they may have been the same family. I think he published some books on the local area as well.
Yes, I have one of his books, can't locate it just now, but think it was a collection of his Observer pieces.

The grocer in Accy where Mum used to get her supplies on the 60s was also called Joinson, Herbert I think. May have lived in Clayton. He had an old fashioned shop on Whalley Road, I think in the same block as the Crown and Anchor. Chairs for customers at the counter, butter and sugar etc weighed, things stacked on shelves behind the counter. Mum used to write her order in a notebook, and then drop it at the shop. The groceries were delivered next day.
Old 24-11-2013, 15:48   #64
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
just to put this in perspective the skip company access their site via Whalley Road and don't travel down lower Barnes street. The road between Lower Barnes Street and the Hyndburn pub is blocked off a few hundred yards in from Lower Barnes Street.

Lower Barnes Street is not the place that has been represented here.
If I can remember correctly wasn't Riley's chemical and colouring company just Down this narrow roadway. 2 brothers , Allan and Alec used to run it. They were making Alum for paper manufacturers.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 21:33   #65

Cant remember the Crown & anchor, on Whalley road
Old 26-11-2013, 01:00   #66
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
I too have had nites like those, bud Come to think of it ... I can't remember it either; but, I've destroyed so many of my brain cells ....
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 01:54   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Alan, my husband reckons it was called the Hope And Anchor. It was across the road from the Broadway pub. It was the headquarters of the Accrington rabbit club, and when he was young he used to show his rabbits there. The the shows were held in a upstairs room. He thinks it was a Lion house in those days but stands to be corrected on that.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 04:14   #68

OK, read it wrong, thought Susie was talking about Clayton.
Old 26-11-2013, 08:39   #69
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
Alan, my husband reckons it was called the Hope And Anchor. It was across the road from the Broadway pub. It was the headquarters of the Accrington rabbit club, and when he was young he used to show his rabbits there. The the shows were held in a upstairs room. He thinks it was a Lion house in those days but stands to be corrected on that.
It is the Hope and Anchor, my uncle Reg Blinco was the landlord there for a while
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 14:05   #70
I am Banned

Quote:
It's closed and semi derelict now Irene. Was a bikers pub for a long time and heavy metal bands featured there as Restless will attest to I am sure.
It can be viewed in it's former glory on Google maps street level.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 14:23   #71
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
It was a Lion House in early 60s, used to have a slurp in yon wi the late Pat Snead, a top geezer,
Old 01-12-2013, 15:47   #72

rileys chemicals were down there .they sold the works and land for building.some dodgy stuff made there during ww2.most folks in clayton either had a family member or knew someone who worked there,always had vacancies due to nasty type of work.
jack preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 15:59   #73
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack preston View Post
rileys chemicals were down there .they sold the works and land for building.some dodgy stuff made there during ww2.most folks in clayton either had a family member or knew someone who worked there,always had vacancies due to nasty type of work.
So there was a chemical works as well as a laundry.
I don't have a garden to grow veg so I don't forsee chemicals in the land would be a problem for me - however, if anyone here can supply more info about precise location of that factory and the type of chemicals produced, I would appreciate it.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 16:16   #74
God Member

I have now found this -
http://www3.lancashire.gov.uk/counci...=A&FILEID=3763

which indicates that the chemical works was where the skip hire place is now - no problem

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..