Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2013, 09:24   #1
God Member

A question for Clayton 'bottom enders'

At the right hand side end of Lower Barnes St there is a new housing development which covers the area down to the river.

I am contemplating moving there.

What is your opinion of the area eg. crime and asbo type info would help me decide.

Thanks

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-06-2013, 12:33   #2

Re: A question for Clayton 'bottom enders'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
At the right hand side end of Lower Barnes St there is a new housing development which covers the area down to the river.

What is your opinion of the area eg. crime and asbo type info would help me decide.

Thanks
I think there was some opposition down there to waste company wanting to expand and it was thought that there was going to be an increase in vermin smell and flies etc
Old 10-06-2013, 12:40   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAZ1975 View Post
I think there was some opposition down there to waste company wanting to expand and it was thought that there was going to be an increase in vermin smell and flies etc
Thanks for that response - which waste company is that? (so I can look on Google streetview), and is their application still pending?

Old 10-06-2013, 12:46   #4

Cant remember the full details , the waste company is based right down the bottom near the river i think by turning left just before the Hyndburn Bridge pub on Whalley rd , the single lane track goes right to the bottom of lower Barnes Street
MargaretR likes this.
Old 10-06-2013, 13:01   #5
God Member

Thanks - I think I have found them

Skip Hire UK, Nationwide Skip Hire, Mini Skips, Midi Skips, Builders Skips, Roll on roll off, Grab loaders and Asbestos removal from Skiphire UK

A potential problem that I am grateful to learn of.

Old 10-06-2013, 14:40   #6
God Member

I thought the price seemed to good to be true without some hitch or other

Protest against asbestos plans for Clayton-le-Moors site (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Skip hire firm investigation following Hyndburn bonfire (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Green belt homes plan gets refusal (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Hyndburn planners receive one complaint a day (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Action is threatened against skip firm - Accrington Observer

I will be viewing it anyway and specifically ask about whether the firm is now 'behaving'

Old 10-06-2013, 15:51   #7
Senior Member+

just to put this in perspective the skip company access their site via Whalley Road and don't travel down lower Barnes street. The road between Lower Barnes Street and the Hyndburn pub is blocked off a few hundred yards in from Lower Barnes Street.

Lower Barnes Street is not the place that has been represented here.
MargaretR likes this.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 16:20   #8
I am Banned

Quote:

Thanks
I have a couple of pals live in the flats top end nothing to say really detrimental, i.e. they like the area, there's the usual sprinkling of drongos wherever you go. Hobby Caravan stolen off Atlas Street compound last week.
Plus ..You are far enough from the Royal on Sparth down there Margaret too
Call in the Forts and ask around.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 17:18   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
just to put this in perspective the skip company access their site via Whalley Road and don't travel down lower Barnes street. The road between Lower Barnes Street and the Hyndburn pub is blocked off a few hundred yards in from Lower Barnes Street.

Lower Barnes Street is not the place that has been represented here.
Heartening info - seems like the complaints about black smoke (mentioned in the press links) would be made from the older estate which is east of the skip site, and so the prevailing wind will have got it to them.

Old 10-06-2013, 17:47   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
What is your opinion of the area eg. crime and asbo type info
They'll get used to you, just as long as you stick to your curfew hours.
Old 10-06-2013, 21:25   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Heartening info - seems like the complaints about black smoke (mentioned in the press links) would be made from the older estate which is east of the skip site, and so the prevailing wind will have got it to them.
I walk around lower Barnes Street on a casual, but regular basis, most of the time I am down there on my own, never seen black smoke, I have even posted pictures of the area in the "today in pictures" thread. If possible why not have a drive around to get a flavour of the place.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 22:53   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I walk around lower Barnes Street on a casual, but regular basis, most of the time I am down there on my own, never seen black smoke, I have even posted pictures of the area in the "today in pictures" thread. If possible why not have a drive around to get a flavour of the place.
I gave my car to my granddaughter a year ago and haven't been out since- I am a recluse.

My son will take me to view this flat. If I get it, (since it is ground floor), I might buy a mobility scooter

Old 11-06-2013, 07:20   #13
God Member

My family have lived on Lower Barnes Street, on the little block next to Forts Arms, for around 50 years - in fact I was born in that house - & have always been happy there. I know this is a little higher up the street than you are looking at Margaret but on the whole I wouldn't have anything negative to say about that area, apart from maybe that the buses are a little infrequent these days especially at the weekends
MargaretR likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:52   #14

Am I right in thinking the area you are talking about used to be refered to as the Hounds, my grandad used to say Im goowin fer a walk round thounds.
smobile likes this.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:56   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
They'll get used to you, just as long as you stick to your curfew hours.
What curfew hours? - I am under self imposed 'house arrest' - it is a stress free way to live if you like yourself.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..