Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-12-2008, 09:44   #1
Resting in Peace

Abbey National

Just had an E Mail from Abbey National, telling me there has been some strange activity on my account, and that using the link on the email log on and verify my details. Just one problem there, I don't have an Abbey National account. Would appear is is an attempt to get bank details by scammers, so if your account is with Abbey National be aware
Old 29-12-2008, 09:47   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Abbey National

Ive had a lot of these recently (at least 2 or 3 a week) I do report them but I also dont bank with them

Did receive one from halifax, who i do bank with a few weeks ago which was dodgy, checked it and was very convincing but I never logged on via it, the HTTP address was different to the actual log in page but you can see why some people do get confused with these and get conned if they dont really know what the're doing or what to look out for
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 09:50   #3
God Member

I deal with several banks online and banks make a point of advising you to NEVER respond to emails from 'banks'.
Banks have a secure way of sending you info on a webpage only accessible AFTER you have logged in

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 10:13   #4
God Member

banks NEVER EVER send emails
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 10:44   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
banks NEVER EVER send emails
Bankers do though flashy, but my problems as always been spelling
Old 29-12-2008, 10:46   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I deal with several banks online and banks make a point of advising you to NEVER respond to emails from 'banks'.
Banks have a secure way of sending you info on a webpage only accessible AFTER you have logged in
When I log on to my online banking, my first page is always about emails, in as much a they never send them
Old 29-12-2008, 16:33   #7
Resting in Peace

Well they are persistent if nothing else, I've got another one when I came on line again this afternoon
Old 29-12-2008, 17:43   #8
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

hey I had one of those today, peed myself laughin, because like Jaysay, I DONT HAVE ONE!!
daft gits!!
I also had one with Halifax too, yes i do have an account, but not with the email address they sent me...derrrr, some stuupid folk about!
Old 29-12-2008, 18:25   #9
God Member

Get em regular from "Abbey National" and I don't have an account.
I always have a look to see where the links take you, just hover the mouse pointer over it - DONT CLICK

This is the latest I got, link takes you to swimtube.net
Quote:
Dear Customer,
Your Internet banking Profile has been temporarily
suspended. We implore you to reactivate your profile
in order to continue with internet banking.

Thank You.

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 18:29   #10
God Member

You will get even more now Jaysay, most of these are automated, and if you open one, they will send you a hundred more, I never even see them because they go straight to my spam mail and are deleted daily.
Old 30-12-2008, 09:49   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
hey I had one of those today, peed myself laughin, because like Jaysay, I DONT HAVE ONE!!
daft gits!!
I also had one with Halifax too, yes i do have an account, but not with the email address they sent me...derrrr, some stuupid folk about!
Not to be outdone panther I also got one from the Halifax too when I looked at my E mails this morning, now if anybody followed that link they were stupid, talk about amateurish, obviously the credit crunch is affecting the scammers as well
Old 30-12-2008, 09:52   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
You will get even more now Jaysay, most of these are automated, and if you open one, they will send you a hundred more, I never even see them because they go straight to my spam mail and are deleted daily.
Might be a case of curiosity killed the cat derek, but have now marked them as spam and they will go just The same way as yours

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..