Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-04-2004, 11:30   #1

About places in Accrington

I have an ancestor who was 'Baths superintendent' at hot air baths in Portland Street 1912-1942 is the place still standing ?
Old 21-04-2004, 21:57   #2
Senior Member+

turkish baths

This was along Blackburn Road, I wonder ......
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2004, 22:01   #3
Senior Member+

Baths

Grief Roy, I wish you would put that edit button on !!!!!!!!
These baths were along Blackburn Road, I think near to Oxford Street, but .. they certainly were in the right area for your relative.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baths.jpg (45.2 KB, 71 views)
Old 22-04-2004, 06:21   #4
Caz
God Member

Re: About places in Accrington

Am I correct in thinking the Baths were at no 5?

If so, modern maps seem to show this as the corner of College St/Portland St, which would make it the Accy Ross College building, I think, which is still there.
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2004, 06:24   #5

Thanks Atarah for your replies.

I love old photos they have a certain charm, especially the two blokes looking into a hole, which I suspect is the river Hyndburn before it started smelling.

The entry in Barretts trade directory was 5 Portland Street.
My dates were slightly wrong. Barretts has him at Hot baths from 1912-1915 at Portland Street and then Baths Superintendent Borough Council 1922, then Superintendent Public Baths St James Street 1925.

I guess the hot air baths is the large building in the background and not a converted terraced house.

Perhaps the main baths for Accrington are at St James Street where the Accrington Pals trained on occasions.
Old 22-04-2004, 11:45   #6
Caz
God Member

Went down Portland St on my way to town this morning.
Made some enquiries with one of the older residents, and according to her, apparently the baths were in what was later the College building, and is now a community centre.

What is odd is that although the Baths is on record as being No 5, and recent maps (Mapquest at least) show no 5 to be College St/Portland St Junction, and seemingly the correct spot, there is a terraced house on the block above with that number.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg port1.jpg (48.3 KB, 60 views)
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2004, 12:55   #7
God Member

This is a fasinating conindrum regarding the specific location of the baths, but I must admit I'm puzzled as to exactly what "Hot Air" Baths are. Is this another name for Turkish or Russian Baths, or possibly an English variation...?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2004, 13:19   #8

My assumption is the same as Tealeaf.

So if I understand this correctly...
Atarrah's photo is along Blackburn Road, near to Oxford Street, and,
Cazzer's photo is of the Community Centre, but No 5 is now a terraced house.
Possible street was re-numbered.

This is a great forum for someone trying to understand the context where people lived.

I am truly grateful for your replies, and photos from Cazzer and Atarah
Old 22-04-2004, 13:32   #9
God Member

It's just a shame that the "1890's Map" (see Accy Photos) has the bit around College Street/Blackburn Rd/Portland Street missing...
Old 22-04-2004, 14:22   #10
Senior Member+

Baths

Looking more closely at the "baths" photo, do you not think the large building is the old Co-op which is now the bingo place? (corner of Blackburn Road and Oxford Street?)
Old 22-04-2004, 14:26   #11
God Member

I'm lost on the first piccy....It looks like it's 1930's...am I right in saying we're looking East alomg Blackburn Road?
Old 02-05-2004, 16:03   #12
God Member

Hi all, I'm a newbie here but I'll just barge in if I may.
The black and white photo is of Myrtle House. It has been a doctor's surgery for as long as I can remember and was run by a Dr. Devlin when I was a nipper in the mid-fifties. The building to the left used to be an opticians and, of course, the large building at the rear of the photo is what was the old Co-Op. I don't understand why there are barriers in front of the house though.

The old college building on Portland Street does ring a bell, I am almost certain that my Grandmother said something abiout it being a baths once but that was a long time ago and I forget.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..