Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2003, 16:23   #1
Junior Member+

Post Accrington Bricks

Accy is famed for its quality bricks, does anyone know where abouts in Accy they used to get these from? Can you still see the quarry where it is?
Old 15-04-2003, 22:17   #2

Post Re: Accrington Bricks

Accrington bricks, the Nori bricks, were made at the site on Whinney Hill, not a million miles from Stanley's ground.

Most of the site is now covered in houses.   :'(
Old 16-04-2003, 18:12   #3

you know, i'll never understand that - buy a new house right next to the rubbish tip?  (obviously reffering to the actual tip and not the crown ground)!
ukbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 19:18   #4
Junior Member+

i think they also used to quarry next to the coppice and i remember the raw materials being carried over Burnley rd via a conveyor belt of some description, which used to drop the odd piece!!

another bit of useless trivia is that Nori is Iron spelt backwards because the brick moulds were made wrong.......oops
quiksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2003, 02:45   #5

monkey, if you wouldn't move back, where ar eyou living now?
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2003, 20:09   #6

[quote author=quiksilver link=board=qanda;num=1049901788;start=0#3 date=05/05/03 at 20:18:42]i think they also used to quarry next to the coppice and i remember the raw materials being carried over Burnley rd via a conveyor belt of some description, which used to drop the odd piece!!

another bit of useless trivia is that Nori is Iron spelt backwards because the brick moulds were made wrong.......oops[/quote]

I remember the conveyor well.  It was an overhead bucket system, where it crossed Burnley Rd there was a net to catch the bits.  My Godmother, Mildred Grimes (dcd) lived near the crossing and I used to spend hours watching the buckets!  Life was simple then - about 50 years ago!

I was told NORI got its name because the steeplejacks put the letters up in the wrong order on the chimney, but I guess the moulds explanation is more likely.
Old 28-06-2003, 22:38   #7

I live way out here in canada just outside Toronto and I do believe i read somewhere that Nori bricks were used in the CN tower
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 21:43   #8
vin

Hi Folks

The main quarry was also next to the brick yard and a tunnel went under Whinney Hill road joining the quarry to the brick works.

The disused quarry is now the site of the landfill site.

vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2003, 15:59   #9
emma1

The site next to the coppice was actually used for slate
Old 22-07-2003, 16:39   #10
Resting In Peace

On the subject of Accrington Bricks, I understand they played a substantial part in the building of the Empire State Building.  http://www.accy.net/accyfact.htm
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2003, 13:48   #11
Junior Member+

[quote author=quiksilver link=board=qanda;num=1049901788;start=0#3 date=05/05/03 at 20:18:42]i think they also used to quarry next to the coppice and i remember the raw materials being carried over Burnley rd via a conveyor belt of some description, which used to drop the odd piece!![/quote]
It was a cable car system that went over Burnler Rd.  It was used to supply the old Redac brick works in Huncoat.
Chris7464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2003, 22:23   #12
Senior Member+

They are quite right, the buckets used to go across Burnley Road and if you look at my website and keep looking ;D, I may put a picture of them on there for you.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2003, 15:21   #13

The Web Site mentioned above is superb and is a must for anyone interested in Old Accy.
By the way -- Iron is very appropriate as anyone will know who has tried to drill into a Nori brick.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2003, 09:44   #14
Jo

My dad and his naughty brothers used to sit in the buckets and slide down across Burnley Rd. There's one to add to the theme "we shouldn't have survived" on the other page!!
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2003, 20:15   #15

My dad used to work at the Redac site, used to go & watch the buckets coming in with shale...

Also put my name on a few bricks when they were in the clay stage waiting to be baked ;D ;D

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..