Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012, 09:33   #1

Accrington Carnival - Community involvement

Last night we went to view the Preston Guild Torchlight Procession it contained over 3000 participants and nearly 70 floats and there were massive crowds watching the procession. What was very noticeable was that all sections of the community were involved

Having participated in the Accrington Carnival in the late 70's early 80's and in the last few it has become a pale shadow of its former self I would be interested to know why this is such poor participation

This in no way is a critiicism of the Accrington Lions who do a fantastic job in seeking participants and organising the event but where have have all the bands, majorette troups, floats from schools, local companies etc participating. Why dont the local sports clubs/ youth organisatons/ Churches/ Cultural Organisations not use the Carnival as a means of advertising their organisations to the local population and perhaps boost their membership

Hyndburn has many thriving voluntary groups that we should be proud of surely the Carnival is a direct way of showing off the groups that we have in the Borough

Do people outside of Accrington ie Ossy, Gt Harwood etc not consider it relevent to be in Accy Carnival?

Has the demise of large local companies made it difficult to get hold of vehicles?

Why do all sections of the community not feel that they can participate

Is non participation down to cost, apathy

Should consideration be given to it being a torchlight procession which coulod mean that more people are able to be involved

Last night on the back of the Jubilee and the Olympics you could feel amongst the crowd there was a real sense of Proud Preston - should we not be aiming the same way for our community

More questions than answers but would appreciate your views

Last edited by hedman2003; 09-09-2012 at 09:37.
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-09-2012, 09:46   #2
Resting In Peace

Re: Accrington Carnival - Community involvement

Perhaps the fact that Preston is only once every twenty years helps to make it more special.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:55   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Perhaps the fact that Preston is only once every twenty years helps to make it more special.

Thanks Susie

I dont doubt that infact I meant to include that in my thread its probably good to say you took part in the Guild - however we also did Clitheroe Torchlight the other week and again that had lots more participation although I'm not sure on what basis they hold it it's certainly not bi-annual like Accys
Old 09-09-2012, 10:00   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Probably a factor i would reckon, Also Preston is a city n has much more drawing power than little accy,in my view, very few local firms own there own transport these days, Even Wm Blythes done away wi a good transport fleet a few years ago, To me its sadly a sign of the times, Loss of Major industry's, Internet, Courier services, all factors i think in the decline.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:14   #5

I understand the issue of unavailability of large floats which clearly are a major part of a carnival but one year when we couldn't obtain a lorry we walked in the Procession. In the 1970/80's there would have been at least 5 or 6 bands, probably 10 majorette troups although many were not from the local are (perhaps Majorette Troupes are not as plentiful these days)
Old 09-09-2012, 10:27   #6
Senior Member+

I wanted to enter a float for the kids at the football club, a few years ago, it was a nightmare trying to find transport, plus the headache of " health & safety", as a small club we just couldn't justify the cost

Shame because I rember riding on a float as a lad, thought it was great
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:40   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
I wanted to enter a float for the kids at the football club, a few years ago, it was a nightmare trying to find transport, plus the headache of " health & safety", as a small club we just couldn't justify the cost

Shame because I rember riding on a float as a lad, thought it was great
Elf n safety another good factor why its now harder.
Old 09-09-2012, 15:56   #8
God Member

Is it true that the Kashmiri Islamic Liberation Front will be having a float in the next parade?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 16:35   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Is it true that the Kashmiri Islamic Liberation Front will be having a float in the next parade?
Yes. Followed by 'Save the Sealyham Terrier from Extinction Society'

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 17:01   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedman2003 View Post
(perhaps Majorette Troupes are not as plentiful these days)
That thought crossed my mind too, last week, as we watched a really good display by a majorette troupe on Broadway.

I think other towns in Hyndburn see Accrington's carnival as something to go to, rather than necessarily participate in, as they have their own carnivals, fetes, fairs, and shows to organise.

Not something I've been to for years, but when I've seen film clips it seemed quite good still. Has it got noticebably smaller in recent years?

I remember when I first joined, there was talk of having an Accy Web float in the next carnival.

Roy driving the truck, The Clique waving from the back, sat on thrones, and everyone else marching and singing, following behind the bunting strewn vehicle.

I do have some crepe paper to donate, if it ever comes off.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 17:35   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That thought crossed my mind too, last week, as we watched a really good display by a majorette troupe on Broadway.

I think other towns in Hyndburn see Accrington's carnival as something to go to, rather than necessarily participate in, as they have their own carnivals, fetes, fairs, and shows to organise.

Not something I've been to for years, but when I've seen film clips it seemed quite good still. Has it got noticebably smaller in recent years?

I remember when I first joined, there was talk of having an Accy Web float in the next carnival.

Roy driving the truck, The Clique waving from the back, sat on thrones, and everyone else marching and singing, following behind the bunting strewn vehicle.

I do have some crepe paper to donate, if it ever comes off.

It would have to be a flaming big float to fit the whole clique on it Rindi
Old 09-09-2012, 18:18   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
It would have to be a flaming big float to fit the whole clique on it Rindi
Yeh but our Matron could organise that.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:47   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh but our Matron could organise that.
Never gave that a thought
Old 10-09-2012, 15:24   #14
Junior Member+

We lost Leyland festival some years ago, it was one of the biggest in the local area, that was put down to a lack of interest by local business, the rising cost of putting the event on and the Police pulling out of road closures etc.

We do now have a vehicle based festival with some bits of fun thrown in, but it’s not quite the same, however it does pull people into the town who spend money in the local shops, pubs and guest houses.

My feeling is that some of the events get a bit stagnant and it’s always good to have some of the tradition but to bring something new to the event each year (mix it up a bit)

for me in this day and age of high priced fuel and green issues, why not decorate bikes, shopping trolleys, wheelbarrows etc and go for a more green parade (just a thought)

Maybe with the good vibe from Olympics and the great guild it might renew some pride back,
First Aid Plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 15:27   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Aid Plus View Post
We lost Leyland festival some years ago, it was one of the biggest in the local area, that was put down to a lack of interest by local business, the rising cost of putting the event on and the Police pulling out of road closures etc.

We do now have a vehicle based festival with some bits of fun thrown in, but it’s not quite the same, however it does pull people into the town who spend money in the local shops, pubs and guest houses.

My feeling is that some of the events get a bit stagnant and it’s always good to have some of the tradition but to bring something new to the event each year (mix it up a bit)

for me in this day and age of high priced fuel and green issues, why not decorate bikes, shopping trolleys, wheelbarrows etc and go for a more green parade (just a thought)

Maybe with the good vibe from Olympics and the great guild it might renew some pride back,
im up for that, or a good bed push
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..