Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 07:36   #1

Thumbs up Accrington on National TV

Some really good news for St Christopher's after the recent adverse publicity it has received: -

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/ne...in_tv_show.php

How do you think young people behave when using public transport, are they so badly behaved that they need schemes like this?

Suz x.
suzster is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-05-2007, 07:51   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Accrington on National TV

The last time i caught a bus full of school kids it was chaos.Swearing,mobile tones going off,shouting,jumping around.A prison van would have been better suited.This lot seemed to be 2nd/3rd year pupils,and judging by some of their mobile phones seemed to have a bit of cash to throw around.Kids need to be taught respect not just have money thrown at them,they'll never realise the value of anything...even public transport.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:55   #3
Resident Waffler

I hope the program is a positive one and doesn't give the impression that all schoolchildren in the town are like wild animals. Having been on buses when they are full of schoolkids it often seems like that.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:13   #4

I believe the program also involved the Police and council who use underover officers to regularly travel on buses to catch those who are upsetting others. They had Police vans on Burnley bus station and I'm reliably told that there were over 30 kids taken from buses for all the reasons that maxwell mentions!

Suz x.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:16   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

School children on buses are like wild animals. It was the same when I was at school. It happens anytime you get a large group of children together.
If you look a little deeper you will see they are usually only laughing and joking and trying to be heard over the other kids.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:18   #6
Senior Member+

I know it was a long time ago & kids seemed to behave better,but i think the phasing out of the bus conductor did'nt help.I'm sure he was a bit of a detterent to unruly behaviour.Ticket inspectors as well.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:24   #7
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

my fella worked on buses and used to take school kids home!
he wouldnt set off untill the little ****s behaved, making them late home, but he didnt care, he was not prepare to drive with those apes in the back going wild!!
Old 12-05-2007, 08:40   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

It would of course help if there was no such thing as standing room on a bus and everyone was sat down.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:05   #9
God Member

I think its a good idea and hope it works, must be better for the drivers, less distractions etc.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:48   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

More and more buses have CCTV installed on them now for both driver and passenger protection. A company in Blackburn, 21st Century Security are advertising in this weeks Telegraph for a service/installation engineer for Bus CCTV systems. Several cameras are on each bus, the video is recorded onto a hard drive based system which can be downloaded back at the depot.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:45   #11

Ive been on the bus from ossy to accy and iam in my weel chair they have got up from there seat,s to let me get in with my chair but some of them was loud.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:42   #12
Senior Member+

I work in Clayton and if I do the dinner time shift, which I finish at 2.45pm, i'll wait an hour before I leave work so I dont get the bus that school pupils are going to get on!!
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:46   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
I work in Clayton and if I do the dinner time shift, which I finish at 2.45pm, i'll wait an hour before I leave work so I dont get the bus that school pupils are going to get on!!
....it is so wrong that you have to do that

There is a hotline available to report incidents: 0845 053 0040 (taken from www.safertravelunit.co.uk)

Suz x.

Last edited by suzster; 12-05-2007 at 11:48.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:05   #14
Senior Member+

I dont have to. I choose to, because I hate being all squashed up on a bus with a load of kids. I also hate it when your trying to get off the bus and they are all trying to get on and they dont let you get off because they want to get on first, its even more hellish if i've got the pram. But in those instances i just plough into them with it. He he!!

Its not all that bad waiting at work an hour, I work in a pub!!!
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..