Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-05-2013, 12:03   #16

Re: Accrington secondary tech/Rhyddings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Accrington Secondary Technical School and Rhyddings were two separate schools prior to 1962, as Cashy said. The "Tech" was boys only and Rhyddings both boys and girls. Rhyddings was the "secondary school for Oswaldtwistle while the Tech was for boys who "did well" in the 11+ exams and had students from as far away as Clitheroe. I went to the Tech and my wife went to Rhyddings 1955-60, and we're still amalgamated?
I believe my husband can shed a little light on this thread.

In 1946, Accrington Junior Technical School as it was called then, was on the corner of Portland and College Streets Accrington. It was a Trades school for boys.The boys came from a wide area of Accrington including Clitheroe(as stated above) Gt Harwood and the Rossendale Valley There were four forms, two building, and two engineering. 1B and 2B and 1E and 2E. One and two standing for first and second year. There were 24 boys in each form, 96 in the school. At the end of the second year the school found you a apprenticeship in whichever trade you preferred. The principle was Ernie Overend who had degrees in engineering. Lawrence (lol) Marsden was maths and science master for the engineers and JP Barr was maths and science for the builders. Hilda (mammy) Archer was english teacher for everyone. Plus Trades teachers. In 1947 the school moved into a empty school building across the road from the Palladium cinema in Oswaldtwistle. Ernie Overend left, and Lol Marsden was appointed Principle. Messrs Cunliffe,Shaw, Abbott and Howland joined the staff that year. My husband does not remember any photos of either staff,or students, being taken in those years, but has seen a photo on the net of the staff taken in 1950. It was still Accrington Junior Technical School when he left in 1948.
cashman likes this.

Last edited by Neil; 17-05-2013 at 09:15. Reason: fix quote
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-05-2013, 12:13   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post

In 1946, Accrington Junior Technical School as it was called then, was on the corner of Portland and College Streets Accrington. It was a Trades school for boys.The boys came from a wide area of Accrington including Clitheroe(as stated above) Gt Harwood and the Rossendale Valley There were four forms, two building, and two engineering. 1B and 2B and 1E and 2E. One and two standing for first and second year. There were 24 boys in each form, 96 in the school. At the end of the second year the school found you a apprenticeship in whichever trade you preferred. The principle was Ernie Overend who had degrees in engineering. Lawrence (lol) Marsden was maths and science master for the engineers and JP Barr was maths and science for the builders. Hilda (mammy) Archer was english teacher for everyone. Plus Trades teachers. In 1947 the school moved into a empty school building across the road from the Palladium cinema in Oswaldtwistle. Ernie Overend left, and Lol Marsden was appointed Principle. Messrs Cunliffe,Shaw, Abbott and Howland joined the staff that year. My husband does not remember any photos of either staff,or students, being taken in those years, but has seen a photo on the net of the staff taken in 1950. It was still Accrington Junior Technical School when he left in 1948.
I forgot to say that the boys had to pass a scolarship to go to the school. There was no 11+ in those days

Last edited by Neil; 17-05-2013 at 09:16. Reason: fix quote
Old 18-05-2013, 10:47   #18
Full Member+

Rhyddings school is holding a 'street party' next Friday (24th May) to commemorate its 80th anniversary. I think ex students are invited.
Old 19-05-2013, 07:41   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
Rhyddings school is holding a 'street party' next Friday (24th May) to commemorate its 80th anniversary. I think ex students are invited.
How many years was Rhyddings at the top end of Ossy before they moved to present building.
Old 19-05-2013, 08:28   #20
I am Banned

Quote:

I too like Cashman went to the Tech on Union Road late 50's early 60's. Lol Marsden was the head then. (his son Philip was also at Peel Park with me he went on from the Grammar School to be a dentist I think). Mammy Archer taught us Geography. Frank Howland- Woodwork, Frank Eland - Metalwork. Mrs Westell (Westwell?) Art. Fred Abbot - Physics (stunk of the fags he smoked in the back room) and yes Bob Cunliffe knocked some of us us into some semblance of athletes in PE
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 08:32   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Another teacher i recall is "Flash" Gordon who taught english, That was the git i bumped into coming out of the odean one sat morning in heavy rain, when i should have been running fer the cross country team at Witton Park. needless to say he shopped me n the rest is history.
Old 19-05-2013, 08:56   #22
Resting in Peace

Am I right in thinking David Lloyd the cricketer went to the tech in the sixties, seem to remember seeing him at the school, I knew him through playing junior LL cricket
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 09:11   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Am I right in thinking David Lloyd the cricketer went to the tech in the sixties, seem to remember seeing him at the school, I knew him through playing junior LL cricket
Yeh Selwyn was in same class as DtheP, which was a year above me.
Old 19-05-2013, 09:35   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh Selwyn was in same class as DtheP, which was a year above me.
Selwyn Thought he was think he went to Peel Park prior to that
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 09:39   #25
I am Banned

Quote:
Selwyn Thought he was think he went to Peel Park prior to that
Yes David went to Peel Park with me before we went to t'Tech. We were in the same forms/classes throughout school years.
Old 19-05-2013, 10:00   #26

Quote:
I seem to think that Jack Simmons Enfield/ Lancashire cricketer and chairman also went there. Can anyone verify this?.
Old 19-05-2013, 10:10   #27
I am Banned

Quote:
I seem to think that Jack Simmons Enfield/ Lancashire cricketer and chairman also went there. Can anyone verify this?.
Yes Jack was head boy when I was there Irene
Old 19-05-2013, 11:29   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Yes Jack was head boy when I was there Irene
How many students were in the school in those days and why did it change from a boys trades school to a mixed school ?.
Old 19-05-2013, 11:41   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
How many students were in the school in those days and why did it change from a boys trades school to a mixed school ?.
It changed from boys only irene wi the amalgamation wi Rhyddings, they sent the brightest pupils from yon down to the Tech n some were obviously girls, which was quite pleasing to us, as my class got a couple of crackers.
Old 19-05-2013, 11:57   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
It changed from boys only irene wi the amalgamation wi Rhyddings, they sent the brightest pupils from yon down to the Tech n some were obviously girls, which was quite pleasing to us, as my class got a couple of crackers.
My husband says he was born to soon. I think he is jealous of you cashman

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..