Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-05-2013, 08:08   #46
I am Banned

Re: Accrington secondary tech/Rhyddings

Incidentally Irene, its new swanky title is Rhyddings Business and Enterprise School.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-05-2013, 08:11   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
If what you say is correct, in what year, and why, did the Junior Technical School move out of the building across from the Palladium, and go to Moorend. What was the reason for the amalgamation, when they were two different types of schools, when initially, one would have had to pass a exam to go from Rhyddings to the Tech. This he does know was the case. Was Rhyddings school in Rhyddings Street before amalgamation. These are the questions my husband would like answered.
Couldn't think where it could have been located on Rhydings Street Irene, was built in its present place didn't move there
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 08:16   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
In my time Irene the Tech had an annexe up at Moor End, a couple of 1st forms as the overspill to the Union Road Building. The amalgamation I think was due to the Education Board of the time phasing out Technical Schools, maybe this was the start of our shrinking skill base as seen in industry today?
Rhyddings School was always on Haworth Street in Ossy, never on Rhyddings Street and Cashman may confirm if Rhyddings did move up to Moor End was it maybe just those Tech 1st forms coming under Rhyddings admin' etc?
Thanks for that DtheP47. Things are starting to get more clear. Rhyddings in Rhyddings street was just a stab in the dark. My husband was beginning to think after reading some of the threads maybe he had never been to the tech after all. One boy from Rhyddings was in my husbands form.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 08:19   #49
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
Thanks for that DtheP47. Things are starting to get more clear. Rhyddings in Rhyddings street was just a stab in the dark. My husband was beginning to think after reading some of the threads maybe he had never been to the tech after all. One boy from Rhyddings was in my husbands form.
If you go to Street level on Google Earth and put in Haworth Street Oswaldtwistle your husband will see the old building with the add-ons on the left.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 08:26   #50
God Member

Quote:
If you go to Street level on Google Earth and put in Haworth Street Oswaldtwistle your husband will see the old building with the add-ons on the left.
Not everyone is that conversant with google maps and earth so -

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Haw...2,58.26,,0,6.2
Aussie Irene likes this.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 08:40   #51

Quote:
Thanks. Does that mean that the school is where it's always been. If so whats happened to Union Rd building?
Old 20-05-2013, 08:43   #52
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Union road building is still yon, what it is now someone else may know?
Old 20-05-2013, 08:46   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Not everyone is that conversant with google maps and earth so -

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Haw...2,58.26,,0,6.2
Thanks Margaret. Wiil have a look at that
Old 20-05-2013, 08:48   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thanks Cashman
Old 20-05-2013, 08:53   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Don't think they can knock it down cashy because I think its a listed building why I don't know
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 08:54   #56

Quote:
Incidentally Irene, its new swanky title is Rhyddings Business and Enterprise School.
The plot thickens
Old 20-05-2013, 08:57   #57
God Member

When I looked at the old Tech building on google maps, it had a new sign outside - 'Oswaldtwistle School'.

When googling that I found -
http://www.iris.ac/sites/default/fil...e%20School.pdf

..so it is now a special school for disruptive pupils.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 09:01   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Back in the day we had a form to fill in 1st and 2nd choice which school you wanted to go to if you passed your 11+. (At Peel Park anyway)

I at that time wanted to join the navy as an engineer and discussions with my parents, etc decided the Tech was the best route. Never joined the navy but absolutely no complaints about the foundations Accy Tech gave me for my career paths
Yep twas that i think everywhere? My problem was the stupid "Education Board" wanted to send me to a school down Blackburn, that i had NOT chosen. will explain next time we bump into each other D, if we remember.
Old 20-05-2013, 09:01   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Couldn't think where it could have been located on Rhydings Street Irene, was built in its present place didn't move there
He did'nt know. He just thought Rhyddings school, Rhyddings St
Old 20-05-2013, 09:07   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
When I looked at the old Tech building on google maps, it had a new sign outside - 'Oswaldtwistle School'.

When googling that I found -
http://www.iris.ac/sites/default/fil...e%20School.pdf

..so it is now a special school for disruptive pupils.
Maybe i should send my husband back.
MargaretR likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..