Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-05-2013, 18:06   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Question Accrington secondary tech/Rhyddings

Hi everyone, not been on here for a long while, so dont think i'm being cheeky asking something, you guys are the only ones I could think of for asking.
My son is doing an assignment for school and need know more about his school....Rhyddings.
I'ts their 80th birthday coming up so he has to write about the history of it. he has spent hrs on his laptop trying to find any info and cant find anything
He does know it was called Accrington secondary tech.
Does anyone have any old pic's of rhyddings school (the building) and any more info on it and does anyone know when it was changed to rhyddings county high school?, as ya can see you can see what info he needs.
anything would be much appreciated.
If not a trip to the library he will have to go!
Thank you!!!
You will be helping a stressed mum and moody lad....lol
Old 13-05-2013, 18:18   #2
God Member

Re: Accrington secondary tech/Rhyddings

have a look at this No Title | Page 1 | Accrington and District Secondary Technical School | Friends Reunited

there's a few pics on there
Old 13-05-2013, 18:24   #3
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Ta flashy will do.
Does anyone also know what the headteachers were called too?
cheers!!
Old 13-05-2013, 18:35   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
Ta flashy will do.
Does anyone also know what the headteachers were called too?
cheers!!
Lol Marsden was head of Accy Tech, which was on union rd opposite Printers Arms, Amalgamated wi Rhyddings early 60s either 61 or 62 can't remember fer sure, before i left which was Easter 63. The brightest kids from Rhyddings were sent down to us in tech.
Old 14-05-2013, 01:40   #5

Mr. Marsden was the Head Master when I was going to Rhyddings, and Mr. Franklin was the Deputy Head. I left in 1967.
Mrs. Merrigold was the Music teacher, there was also Mr. Heffernan, Mr. Kerr, Mrs. Clark.
Jadicat and ianlaycock like this.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 01:42   #6

Try Friends Reunited there are some pics on there too.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 09:36   #7

Quote:
Hi everyone, not been on here for a long while, so dont think i'm being cheeky asking something, you guys are the only ones I could think of for asking.
My son is doing an assignment for school and need know more about his school....Rhyddings.
I'ts their 80th birthday coming up so he has to write about the history of it. he has spent hrs on his laptop trying to find any info and cant find anything
Does anyone have any old pic's of rhyddings school (the building) and any more info on it and does anyone know when it was changed to rhyddings county high school?, as ya can see you can see what info he needs.
Thank you!!!
Email
[email protected]
will be able to help
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 10:11   #8

Quote:
Thank you!!!
It was called Accrington Junior Technical school in 1967, with only 96 students, all boys, my husband was one of them.
Old 15-05-2013, 10:16   #9

Most of my junior school pals went to Rhyddings - all I know about it is that it was used as the exam centre for 11-plus exams in Ossie (in the fifties).
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 15:16   #10
Senior Member+

Accrington Secondary Technical School and Rhyddings were two separate schools prior to 1962, as Cashy said. The "Tech" was boys only and Rhyddings both boys and girls. Rhyddings was the "secondary school for Oswaldtwistle while the Tech was for boys who "did well" in the 11+ exams and had students from as far away as Clitheroe. I went to the Tech and my wife went to Rhyddings 1955-60, and we're still amalgamated?
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 19:05   #11

There are some photos of Rhyddings school on life and times of oswaldtwistle web site.
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 19:09   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Accrington Secondary Technical School and Rhyddings were two separate schools prior to 1962, as Cashy said. The "Tech" was boys only and Rhyddings both boys and girls. Rhyddings was the "secondary school for Oswaldtwistle while the Tech was for boys who "did well" in the 11+ exams and had students from as far away as Clitheroe. I went to the Tech and my wife went to Rhyddings 1955-60, and we're still amalgamated?
Yeh know i'd forgotten that, its just reminded me of this certain bird i'd completely forgot about Cheers.
Old 15-05-2013, 23:54   #13
Senior Member+

You need reminding about a bird Cashy? Must be loosin it mate.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 05:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
It was called Accrington Junior Technical school in 1967, with only 96 students, all boys, my husband was one of them.
oops!! 1946 not 1967
Old 16-05-2013, 06:53   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
You need reminding about a bird Cashy? Must be loosin it mate.
I,d forgot there was birds came down wi the amalgamation, I have so many to remember it aint easy.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..