Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-09-2009, 07:52   #1
Junior Member+

accy nori

is it true that the famous accy nori brick is a mistake and that the print was backwards and should say iron??
what else is accy famous for???? im from halifax and i want to show off to my old hlifax friends good stuff re accy. suggestions pls??
JUICY RED APPLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-09-2009, 08:53   #2

Re: accy nori

The NORI thing was confirmed (to me) by one of the other cub scout leaders during a walk around Great Harwood. I got the impression from his talk that it was just the wrong way round after being mounted on a chimney...?

There's another theory in this thread regarding the mould for the bricks.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 09:31   #3

A bit more about Accrington history, if you notice on some of the Accrington signs you will see acorns, that is because Accrington was known as Acorn Town, but can't tell you anymore about that side of it's history
vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 09:37   #4
Resting in Peace

Lets not forget that Accrington is known world wide because Stanley, a friend of mine was on holiday in Kenya and was staying in a wild life park many miles away from any town. A young lad asked her whee she came from, and when she said Accrington, the lad said ah Accrington Stanley and that is a true story
Old 29-09-2009, 15:10   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
The NORI thing was confirmed (to me) by one of the other cub scout leaders during a walk around Great Harwood. I got the impression from his talk that it was just the wrong way round after being mounted on a chimney...?

There's another theory in this thread regarding the mould for the bricks.
NOT again

I served my time at Lang Bridges as a Pattern Maker and worked for 12 years in that trade, when the original patterns were made the name was spelt NORI. The patterns then went to the moulding shop for castings to be made from cast iron. These were then used to press the bricks, the name finished up on the bricks as the original drawings specified. NORI. 9" x 4 1/2" x 3"
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 29-09-2009 at 15:13.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 18:51   #6

I have just built a garden wall for my daughter from some old bricks given to me by a neighbour..a tear came to my eyes when I saw that they were nori, reminded me of home
claytonheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 17:12   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUICY RED APPLE View Post
is it true that the famous accy nori brick is a mistake and that the print was backwards and should say iron??
what else is accy famous for???? im from halifax and i want to show off to my old hlifax friends good stuff re accy. suggestions pls??
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 19:29   #8

yes. you will get many replie's to this was iron bricklayer's got it wrong ?? to late when chimney finished end of problem nori just grew ...
nortype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 21:15   #9
God Member

Funnily enough, about 6 weeks ago I was down on the Thames foreshore in front of the Tower, as part of the London archaeological weekend - the only weekend when public access is allowed. There was the usual collection of flotsam, rubber ducks, used condoms, bits of old pottery, animal bones, clay pipe and old bricks. The latter encompassed everything from medieval to Victorian, all well eroded by river action. One brick, stood well out - it was deep blood red, with hard, shiny sides. A strange feeling came over me as I approached and then turned it over.

Yep, you've guessed.....it was an Accy Nori. Some kid in front of me must of seen the excitement on my face, 'cause they came running up, shouting "..What've you found, Mister?"

"Nowt", I replied....."but here's a bit of clay pipe for you."

I replaced the brick in it's prior position, and walked away. About 5ft distance, I found a strange metal object, which I stuck in my pocket and which I intend to bring back to Accy tomorrow..should anyone wish to see it.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 30-09-2009 at 21:17.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..