Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By susie123

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 10:01   #1

Accys biggest bonfires 66 to 69

Anyone remember the big massive bonfires on Nutall St opposite the cop shop
around 66 to 69 ? there were loads of kids which used to collect wood to make it accys biggest. would love to hear from some of the contributers,great memories. Shaz61
Shaz61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-12-2013, 11:49   #2
I am Banned

Re: Accys biggest bonfires 66 to 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz61 View Post
Anyone remember the big massive bonfires on Nutall St opposite the cop shop
around 66 to 69 ? there were loads of kids which used to collect wood to make it accys biggest. would love to hear from some of the contributers,great memories. Shaz61
Not knocking you quest, but to be accurate the Cop shop is not in Nuttall St, they are in Spring Gardens, and opposite to them was the Wesley Church which they started to demolish in 1966, I was in the Fire Brigade during that period & I don't recall any massive bonfires around that area.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 15:14   #3

As I can remember if you crossed Wellington st and nutall st there was a plot of land on the right hand side,it was a plot from demolished houses.I hope you know were i mean now Retlaw.
Old 01-12-2013, 15:39   #4
I am Banned

Remember the spare land there Shaz after the houses were knocked down but no recollection of a bonfire. Do remember the one on the spare land next to Woodnook, corners of Royds, Lemonius and Hudson Streets.

Last edited by DtheP47; 01-12-2013 at 15:41.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 16:38   #5

I remember that one too,it was next to the Woodnook school playing yard,the one I am refering to was much bigger DtheP47.It was when demolishing was going on around there,the pub on Nutall st was also demolished cant remember its name right now the bonfire was on the other side.
Old 01-12-2013, 16:45   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Pub was the Star, Thwaites house wi a good juke box.
Old 01-12-2013, 22:29   #7

Thats it the Star thanks cashman,a real pity it had to go down.do you remember the year? because that was the year we had the massive bonfire on the plot across from it.Must have been 66 to 68.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:44   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Sorry the 60s were a drunken haze mostly, Pub Names i still mainly recall, dates not a hope in hell.
Old 02-12-2013, 14:55   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz61 View Post
Thats it the Star thanks cashman,a real pity it had to go down.do you remember the year? because that was the year we had the massive bonfire on the plot across from it.Must have been 66 to 68.
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...reet-5433.html

Tells it on here Shaz
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 20:00   #10

Cheers DtheP47 havent been on the Nutall st thread befor,but have seen the Wellington st one.A lot of my childhood days were spent around there thanks again.
Old 02-12-2013, 21:22   #11
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Sorry the 60s were a drunken haze mostly, Pub Names i still mainly recall, dates not a hope in hell.
When you go, your brain should be pickled for its knowledge, if it isn't already.
cashman likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..