Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-02-2007, 19:04   #16
Yank in King Art's Court!

Re: Accywebbers Fav. King and/or Queen?

Elizabeth I had Mary Queen of Scots executed right? I find that most interesting as they were cousins but they had never met. Also, wasn't Mary "a prisoner" for 10 years or so before the execution?

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-02-2007, 19:13   #17
Resting in Peace

Rather like the Queen we have now actually.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2007, 19:27   #18
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
I hope we never have to have Queen Cammilla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no charlie getting too old now oh my gawd can you imagine her face on notes?? or would that be charlie's
Old 14-02-2007, 22:50   #19
Passed away 25-11-09

I'm not a fan of royalty at all but I'm quite partial to George III. Of all the more recent royals he was the most noted for being kind to his subjects and he had the most "common touch". They say that if he had ever visited America there would never have been a revolution. I feel sorry for the man, with his mental problems, but how could you dislike a monarch who could have earnest conversations with a tree? Oops, forgot about Prince Charles - sorry, I'll have to have a rethink.
Old 15-02-2007, 00:30   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
Elizabeth I had Mary Queen of Scots executed right? I find that most interesting as they were cousins but they had never met. Also, wasn't Mary "a prisoner" for 10 years or so before the execution?

Brian

Mary was related to the Tudors. Her grandmother was Margaret Tudor, Henry VIII's older sister. Margaret Tudor had married King James V of Scotland, and her son was Mary's father, James V. Henry VIII was thus her great Uncle, and she and Elizabeth were cousins.

http://www.elizabethi.org/us/queenofscots/

Elizabeth's father Henry VIII, was Mary Queen of Scot's great uncle, which makes Elizabeth and Mary second cousins...I think.

I like her because she granted a charter that founded my old school.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 01:14   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Queen Jane , (the nine day one) between Edward VI and Mary.

and who decided to rename Bodiceia with the ridiculous Boudicca
Boudicca is her real name, queen of the Iceni which was most of Norfolk and parts of the rest of East Anglia, her husband was murdered and daughters raped by Romans, no wonder she wanted to cause havoc eveywhere. Norfolk'n'good.

She sacked the Romans from Colchester, St Albans and the rip-off that is Larrndun.
YellaStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 13:14   #22
God Member

Old Queen Victoria. She was on the throne for some of the best and worst or civilisation at the time. Industrial expansion that put Great in Great Britain but also the carry on and little wars on the Indian subcontinant. Foolish bravery as in the charge of the Light Brigade.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 14:40   #23
God Member

Best value for money has to be Richard 1 (The Lionheart or Coeur de Lion). He was a King and a Queen (allegedly).

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 21:53   #24
God Member

My fav has to be Elizabeth I, especially Miranda Richardsons version
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 08:28   #25

Queen Elizabeth II Think she done a good job so far
Old 17-02-2007, 10:32   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
I hope we never have to have Queen Cammilla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your in luck Granny, we never will have a Queen Camilla. Doesn't quite sound right does it?? lol.

From BBC Website........

Charles had previously announced that Camilla would be known as Princess Consort, not Queen. She will also be called Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cornwall. Legally, she will be the Princess of Wales, but will not use the title.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 16:27   #27
God Member

Henry V for just for bashing the French at Agincourt....Edward 1st for making the Welsh and Jocks behave themselves!
The worst.. Charles 1st, 2nd and another Stuart..James 1st

Last edited by Mancie; 17-02-2007 at 16:32.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 19:15   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Henry V for just for bashing the French at Agincourt....Edward 1st for making the Welsh and Jocks behave themselves!
The worst.. Charles 1st, 2nd and another Stuart..James 1st
I had forgotten about this post!

Thanks for all the contributions. Mancie appreciate you going back into English History for both your favs and not so favs.!

I'm curious, with such a long history, do you guys believe many English students are taught an accurate history of the Royals or a slanted view from English Historians?

Brian

Old 26-02-2007, 19:17   #29

In Global Trivia, had a question of the most gruesome Royal execution. I believe it is said that it took 15 hacks to get Mary, Queen of Scots, head off. Can that truly be? Wouldn't that have to have been purposeful?

Old 26-02-2007, 20:20   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
In Global Trivia, had a question of the most gruesome Royal execution. I believe it is said that it took 15 hacks to get Mary, Queen of Scots, head off. Can that truly be? Wouldn't that have to have been purposeful?
The worst forms of execution were carried out on the general population... Royals were allowed to be killed a more dignified manner. There is the case of Edward 2nd... executed (or murdered) by having a red hot poker shoved up the jacksey!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

« addictions | Dr Who »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..