Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2010, 05:46   #1
Junior Member+

Adrian Shurmer book

In my project to draw a new map of Accy town centre I've come across Adrian Shurmer who produced some street guides. Does anyone know where I can buy a copy of his book?
John Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-07-2010, 05:52   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Adrian Shurmer book

You could try the tourist information center at the town hall or the library
I used to have a copy but no idea where it is now if i find it you can have it.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:32   #3
Resting in Peace

I've still got one, but I still use mine for reference, why not give Adrian a bell I think his names in the TD, I'm sure he will help and even give you some hints
Old 07-07-2010, 11:10   #4

Wasn't he a councillor for a while?
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:16   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I've still got one, but I still use mine for reference, why not give Adrian a bell I think his names in the TD, I'm sure he will help and even give you some hints
Adrian made a lot of deliberate mistakes in his maps, which unless you know the area would'nt spot, he caught several people who used his maps without permission.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:31   #6
God Member

I can't see what use Shurmers book would be now.
Google maps is now more use.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 14:33   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Adrian made a lot of deliberate mistakes in his maps, which unless you know the area would'nt spot, he caught several people who used his maps without permission.

Retlaw.
Ya I know Walter, he once showed me a couple to illustrate, a little rascal was our Adrian
Old 07-07-2010, 14:55   #8
Junior Member+

Many thanks for the info on the book as I will be near the tourist office on Friday.

He deliberately made mistakes that only locals would know - that's interesting - perhaps there should be a little mistake in the new map I'm creating as a sort of homage to Adrian. Any other ideas like this that should be included in the map?
Old 07-07-2010, 19:54   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flanagan View Post
Many thanks for the info on the book as I will be near the tourist office on Friday.

He deliberately made mistakes that only locals would know - that's interesting - perhaps there should be a little mistake in the new map I'm creating as a sort of homage to Adrian. Any other ideas like this that should be included in the map?
If you are going to have an updated map of Accrington published, as well as deliberate mistakes, have it water marked in several places.
Its surprising how many will rip of parts of your map to promote their businesses on web sites and in advertisement, thats how Adrian caught them.
Retlaw.
Old 08-07-2010, 22:20   #10
Junior Member+

I was collecting some printing from Lancs Print and Steve asked me what I was doing over the weekend! I gave him one of the balloons. Remarkably he mentioned Shurmer and that many, many years ago they'd printed some maps and they might still be in the archives. How about that! I hope this project brings up more coincidences like that.

So, if you're in town on Saturday morning, come and have a talk with me about creating a new map for the town centre. I don't think you'll miss me or the others and please fill in our questionnaire.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:06   #11
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
If you are going to have an updated map of Accrington published, as well as deliberate mistakes, have it water marked in several places.
Its surprising how many will rip of parts of your map to promote their businesses on web sites and in advertisement, thats how Adrian caught them.
Retlaw.
I can understand the watermarks far more than 'deliberate mistakes', a map is supposed to be of help not to cause confusion for the user. If the map has anything other than accidental mistakes then I would think it isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
Still in these days of the Sat Nav, who needs a creased piece of fold-able paper to get confused?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:03   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I can understand the watermarks far more than 'deliberate mistakes', a map is supposed to be of help not to cause confusion for the user. If the map has anything other than accidental mistakes then I would think it isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
Still in these days of the Sat Nav, who needs a creased piece of fold-able paper to get confused?
Doubt if you need either to get to the Railway Less
Old 09-07-2010, 13:58   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I can't see what use Shurmers book would be now.
Google maps is now more use.
I still use it quite a lot Margaret, even though it is 1988 and some areas may need modification. I find it easy to use and quicker than google.. very simplistic and love the pretty colours.. Also, little tit bits of history in there and enjoy browsing through the adverts and the memories of the people that were associated with such groups as Girl Guides, swimming, camera clubs, etc.

Quote:

Retlaw.
Yes, I have found one or two errors Retlaw .... didn't realise they were deliberate ... more like omissions though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flanagan View Post
I was collecting some printing from Lancs Print and Steve asked me what I was doing over the weekend! I gave him one of the balloons. Remarkably he mentioned Shurmer and that many, many years ago they'd printed some maps and they might still be in the archives. How about that! I hope this project brings up more coincidences like that.

According to the information, Shurmer's Guide was printed by Daltons.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 19:12   #14
I am Banned

Yes, I have found one or two errors Retlaw .... didn't realise they were deliberate ... more like omissions though.

Those streets (which didn't exist) were added deliberately to catch plagarists, he caught quite a few, including HBC.
It was in the observer some years back.
Retlaw
Old 09-07-2010, 19:27   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Those streets (which didn't exist) were added deliberately to catch plagarists, he caught quite a few, including HBC.
It was in the observer some years back.
Retlaw
Weren't one of the streets he invented up Belthorn Walter

Tags
accrington, adrian, map, shurmer

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..