Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 12:22   #1

Advice on a house!!! Honesty plz!! Belfield Rd Area!!

What is the Belfield Rd area like please??
I am married with a teenage daughter, a 2 year old and a baby on the way.
Just wondering what the area is like, as I am not well up on Accrington, Im from Bury originally.
Has it got a good/bad reputation??
Just honest views please would be much appreciated
kellsbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-02-2010, 12:40   #2
I am Banned

Re: Advice on a house!!! Honesty plz!! Belfield Rd Area!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellsbells View Post
Just wondering what the area is like, as I am not well up on Accrington, Im from Bury originally.
Like any other street of terraced houses in Accrington it has it fair share of good and bad points, and good and bad neighbours, personally I wouldn't live in the street rent free.
The smaller the street the less bad neighbours.
Ask if there's an Accy webber who live in that area.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 14:36   #3
Resting in Peace

I'm with Retlaw on that one, sooner have a tent on the coppice
Old 06-02-2010, 15:04   #4

Wouldn't recommend it, especially with young children..........Like anywhere else there is good and bad, but the bad ones who live there are nasty, take my advice and steer clear.........
Old 06-02-2010, 16:26   #5

Hi kellsbells.

Unfortunately, Belfield road is in the 'worst areas in Accrington' as quoted to us not one week ago by an experienced estate agent. My mum lives near by, and i lived there for years, i also work in the area.

There are some lovely people who live there. In fact some of my best friends live there! But... for the size of the area it has an extremely high number of drug dealers who are very open about what they do.

Practically, Belfield road is a typical terraced road with a number of shops nearby, including chip shop/chinese, take-away x2, sandwich shop, corner shops x3 and a news agents.
It did used to include, a launderette, a butchers, a greengrocer and a hairdresser.
Belfield road is also not too far from the town centre.

The area has been granted funding to regenerate the area but its not known when that will begin.

There are alot of empty properties in the area and there has been rumours that the council will possibly knock these down. They have forced the owners to sell. The area is said to improve, but when?

The area has an eclectic mix of races and a number of travellers living there.

The residents association are very pro-active and are very helpful.

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...9_WOODNOOK.pdf

Good luck
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 16:54   #6
God Member

I think maybe he is contemplating whether to make a b-with-us bid for a Belfield Rd house on offer.
The (ex)council estate part of Belfield Rd is uphill and away from the terraced housing and maybe has differing disadvantages.

The b-with-us scheme now advertises social housing rental vacancies in a wide area of East Lancs

PS when I was a social security visiting officer about 20 years ago, that estate did house problem families, and the adjacent Rothwell Ave was nicknamed Brothel Ave - but things may have changed.

Last edited by MargaretR; 06-02-2010 at 17:03.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 17:36   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR
The b-with-us scheme now advertises social housing
This has probably been asked before, but what's the difference between social and anti-social housing?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 18:06   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
This has probably been asked before, but what's the difference between social and anti-social housing?
Social housing is owned by housing associations who are regulated not to make profits

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 19:42   #9
Senior Member+

This was such a nice family friendly area when i was growing up. I was brought up and lived for many years on Royds Street...the next street to Belfield Road...and every now and then i have a drive past. But it saddens me so much to see how rundown, scruffy, and decidedly edgey this area has become. I actually got chance to have a look in my old house a few months back...purely because it was abandoned with the front door kicked in, all the floorboards, ceilings and doors had been ripped out, and it was a complete wreck. I found it very upsetting to see it like that, as i had so many happy memories there!. I wouldn't like to live in that area now!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 20:31   #10
God Member

avoid like the plague full of drug dealers and the local paedophiles who have left lydia house
Old 06-02-2010, 20:48   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR
Social housing is owned by housing associations
Ah, you mean rented accommodation. Why didn't you say so? When did it change its name to social housing?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 21:31   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellsbells View Post
lets just say a safer and more secure option would be to live in a carboard box on the railway tracks the top of belfield road is bad and the bottom of belfield road is bloody awfull

heres a short list of what your neighbours are likely to be

polish
burgulars
drug dealers
asian
squatters

or simply empty and either boarded up or have steel sheets over the doors and windows

theres also an abundance of boy racers more than eager to run down your child that have no regard for the direction in which the traffic is supposed to be going down a 1 way street

if you have a problem with any of the above stay away lol

take a drive over and have a drive around the amazing one way system and see for your self.

lived there myself and although where i was wasnt too bad at teh time there was still trouble from the surrounding area.

dont believe any rejuvination crap all that will happen is they will tart up a few houses if anything because sod all has improved in teh last 12 years despite many prommises to clean teh area up, teh only peopel who have made a difference up there is saint vincents houseing who bought some of teh houses and fixed them up where as hyndburn homes did jack all to improve the properties they got

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 06-02-2010 at 21:39.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:20   #13

I lived there for 20+ years, only moved last year but that's another story, have lots of friends who live in the area and do go down quite regularly to see them, but wouldn't move back for a gold clock..........
Old 07-02-2010, 09:45   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX1 View Post
I lived there for 20+ years, only moved last year but that's another story, have lots of friends who live in the area and do go down quite regularly to see them, but wouldn't move back for a gold clock..........

what on earth woud you do with a

sory my bad you said CLOCK

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 18:48   #15
Senior Member+

that whole area of 'woodnook' Sucks

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..