Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-09-2014, 07:30   #1
Senior Member+

An accident waiting to happen

Anyone seen an OAP that goes around town Saturday morning with one of those wheelie walking frames?

Props to the guy for wanting to get about himself but I'm afraid for this guy and that he's going to hurt himself or worse.

I had to help him off the bus and the wheels on that thing are all over the gaf. The gap between the bus and the kerb was too great and I placed the wheels on the road at first and he was pretty snappy. Patience for this fella I placed the wheelie on the pavement and had to hold him as he made the cross. First I didn't want to over step it not knowing the extent of his disability hold me hold me he snapped again ended up supporting him all the way and he hasn't all that gracious. Fair dos I patted him on the back and said good day sir.
Old 27-09-2014, 08:05   #2

Re: An accident waiting to happen

My mum has one. It gets her out and about with me, but whenever we cross a road and come to the kerb, I have to lift the front wheel for her as she can't make that manoeuvre herself. I also hold on to it when we are going downhill as I don't think she can handle the brakes.

Last edited by Michael1954; 27-09-2014 at 08:08.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 09:06   #3
God Member

Fear of falling is a real obstacle to mobility in the elderly.
I have had two falls in the last 18 months.
There is the initial problem of getting back up, which can be painful or impossible if you are very arthritic.
The latest fall caused concussion and recovery took weeks.

Ironically, the concussion fall was due to brake failure on a wheeled stroller I had bought when a bout of lumbago struck.

I now only move about with another stroller with brakes that work.

I am convinced that some prescribed medications cause loss of balance and contribute to fall risk.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 09:43   #4
Senior Member+

As an after thought prior to the incident i was wondering why the "spot on" bus was 10 minutes late...

the woman behind him stated "shouldnt be out by himself" and its a wonder that he is. Im just worried about the guy
Old 27-09-2014, 20:18   #5

Restless, all credit to the man for getting out and about - even though at risk to himself. Maybe the woman who made the comment should stop and think that possibly he doesn't have anybody that can help him or be with him. Good on you for giving him a helping hand and caring.

However, as for him not being all that gracious - no excuse.

It reminds me of when I saw an old man struggling with his walker as he was trying to cross a pebbled area of a road. He couldn't seem to get started and so I stopped and asked him if he needed any help. He said 'you can carry this (the walking frame) across' and when I said 'but what about you?' he replied 'then you can come back and carry me!'.

I will not tell you either my reaction or my reply, suffice to say that as far as I am concerned he could still be trying to cross that road!!!!!
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 20:19   #6
Senior Member+

My mum 88 in December has one of the 3 wheeled frames with wheels and a seat. She took it into the kitchen last year and decide to sit down onit for a while and applied the brakes. With her floor in the Hyndburn Homes bungalow being laminate it slid and she went flat on her back.She had to get the paramedics to get her back on her feet. These things are dangerous.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 21:02   #7
Beacon of light

It is important for the old folk to stay as active and as independent as possible......but you have to be aware of the hazards.
My Ma was 87 yesterday and I worry about her falling down the stairs when she gets up in the night to go to the loo.
I have suggested a child safety gate, but she won't have any of it.
She uses the furniture and a stick to get about in the house....but anywhere else and it is the chariot(with me as the horse power).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 22:48   #8
Senior Member+

Well I didn't want to overstep the mark and insult him but his snappy demands when i didnt fully grasp just how much help he needed whilst he in mid step I had hold of one of his arms and he snapped almost desperately and nastily sounding help me help me. I dunno Margaret you obviously know more about this. He never thanked me or anything but didn't really require it.
Old 27-09-2014, 23:03   #9

Some elderly/ disabled can be so very rude to people who are only trying to help. It certainly puts me off offering assistance.
Jb x

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 01:43   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post

I had to help him off the bus and the wheels on that thing are all over the gaf. The gap between the bus and the kerb
Don't you guys have kneeling buses?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 01:44   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It is important for the old folk to stay as active as possible
Why else would I have a 38 year old girl friend.
Old 28-09-2014, 05:13   #12
Senior Member+

Re: Re: An accident waiting to happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Dude this is Accrington, remember?,
US Angel likes this.
Old 28-09-2014, 06:32   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Most of the big buses are kneeling buses
but there are a lot of small red buses which dont
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 07:00   #14
Beacon of light

Some of the taxi drivers offer to help Ma get up,from a sitting position, but if they get hold of her arms it hurts her......so they now wait until she can get up herself.
I am sure some folk have looked askance at me at times......it looks like I am letting Ma struggle to get to her feet...but I know that getting hold of her will create pain for her.

Some old people can appear rude, but I would still,offer them a helping hand.
You never know how you are going to be yourself when you get old.......and some old folk are wary because they are suspicious of the motive for offering help.

Yes Eric, we do have the buses with ramps, but the drivers often don't think to activate the ramp unless someone is in a wheelchair......and even then some of them have to be asked.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 12:22   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Dude this is Accrington, remember?,
All I remember is that spitting on buses wasn't allowed, and that most buses stopped at pubs. ... get on at the Forts Arms; get off at the Black Dog.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..