Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2006, 22:41   #1
Junior Member+

Talking Any Dialect Speakers Up To The Challenge?

Hi,

I came on here a few months back about my 3rd year dissertation which was a radio documentary about Lancashire. After numerous replans ive come up with a final format for it. It will be a past, present and future look at dialect using interviews, recordings etc....

PAST: Books of Benita Moore, history of dialect etc..
PRESENT: Current state of dialect, continuing traditions, whats being done to preserve it
FUTURE: will next generation know anything about it, influence of american and non regional programmes on our language.

Anyway for one of the parts of the documentary we (myself and my tutor) thought it would be a good idea for myself to be taught to speak in dialect Ive been born and lived in the Accrington area all my life (apart from these 3 uni years!) but I cant particularly say much in dialect - I doubt many people my age can.

So the CHALLENGE...

....does anyone who can confortably speak dialect mind taking part in my documentary (dont worry if you have a face for radio as thats where its going !) to teach me to speak the odd phrases / short poem in dialect?

There must be some one out there!

If you fancy it eith PM me, reply here or email me on [email protected].

I promise you i'll be nice...and its a great chance to get involved in something like this. Its about our history, something which you're all proud of, and even though im in sunderland, im still proudly flying the flag for all us Lankys :engsmil: ...they're now not accepting applications from anyone in Lancashire hehe (j/k)

Thankyou and I look forward to hearing from you
Katie xxx
Katester is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-02-2006, 15:41   #2

Re: Any Dialect Speakers Up To The Challenge?

Hi Kaytester. I would love to help you out. My Accy dialect hasn't changed for more than 40 years due to a complete change through necessity when I got to australia. It is as pure as it was 42 years ago unchanged by media or the gradual change over the years that appears to have happened to the present day accy folk. I could tape some of course and then post it. Let me know. ppm me
ps. esti geet a leet awm boawt
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 23:05   #3
God Member

why do you say 'is it not?' and will it not?' all the time, thats answering with a question, when I've made a statement. I've already said it's not or won't, so why ask.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 00:18   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
why do you say 'is it not?' and will it not?' all the time, thats answering with a question, when I've made a statement. I've already said it's not or won't, so why ask.
say what ?

am i missing sumatt ere

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 15:44   #5
God Member

Any Dialect Speakers Up... 14-02-2006 11:14 thats just a bad attitude, even though it looks like you posted in the wrong section, wherever it was posted it isnt nice

Who is the the idiot without a sense of humour thats left me this? no guts to leave your name?. It's a tongue in cheak comment about one of the things you say up there, something my ex used to say all the time and it made me smile, still does. you answer people who say it isn't with 'is it not'. The only bad attitude is yours.
Old 14-02-2006, 15:52   #6
God Member

AND who ever posted can't have any idea what a local dialect is, and the fact that others either cant understand or find that dialect funny is one of the things that make it and the area famous. I'm not a brummie, but i love my slight twang, and the fact that i say ospital instead of hospital and ouse instead of house, and goo instead of go. example of atherstone dialect, haws it goooin yoof, hav ya bin round yum yet. also yan gotta keep loffin ain't ya. which translates as hows are you doing, have you been round to home yet and you've got to keep laughing haven't you.

perhaps you'd like to list some local sayings and translate them.
Old 14-02-2006, 16:13   #7
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Go for it katester, ignore the show off, there are plenty on here that will point you to the people you need!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 16:27   #8
God Member

yes go for it katester, ignore the show off, if i knew of any people I'd point them your way but my ex only speaks normal mild dialect, not the strong dialect your after.
It's funny that we're so close to the black country, probably closer than to wolverhampton, but all we have is a mild wolverhapton accent, and a few words of dialect from each. to hear someone talking in full black country dialect is amazing but so funny esp when done by comedians such a lizzy wiggins.
Old 14-02-2006, 16:30   #9
Junior Member+

Im sorry if I seem to have offended somebody. Although I dont particularly know what it is im supposed to have done.

Im very confused but thankyou to people for their replies.

Apologies again if I have offended?!?
Katester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 16:52   #10
God Member

No katester you haven't offended anybody, I've offended someone in my first post, because they haven't got a sense of humour, but the person hasn't said who they are, they've just left me bad karma. You are doing an excellent job, carry on, thats why you get good karma from me.
Old 14-02-2006, 16:55   #11
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katester
Im sorry if I seem to have offended somebody. Although I dont particularly know what it is im supposed to have done.

Im very confused but thankyou to people for their replies.

Apologies again if I have offended?!?
Don't be put off, you've done nothing wrong, keep watching and someone will be willing to help you.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 19:27   #12
Senior Member+

well i can assure the hatter that it wasnt me who gave bad karma and roy will confirm that if you so wish ....i would have the balls to leave my sig.....BR.....ask less n rindy .............it just didnt make sense to me as if never heard of that ......

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
Old 14-02-2006, 19:33   #13

I can do cockney!
Phylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 19:33   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylum
I can do cockney!
cant all women

Old 14-02-2006, 20:33   #15
God Member

i know it wasn't but thanks for saying br. I don't think i can post here anymore, i find it hard to understand why things i post, if they get taken the wrong way, not only lead to loss of karma but lead to limits on what boards i can go on or ultimately a site ban. I no longer know what just giving an opinion will lead to so how can i post.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..