Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2007, 00:05   #31
God Member

Re: Any other Graduates out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I confess----I'm a miserable git
well if thats the case margaret we'll have you married off to mr miserable git, Less in no time

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-06-2007, 00:24   #32
Yank in King Art's Court!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Bloody hell, can't someone share a bit of their happy news on the forum anymore?

If Margaret and the Tin Man, (he without the heart in the Wizard of Oz), had been here a little bit longer, they would have seen people sharing all kinds of sorrows and joys on this forum. From births and deaths, to more serious personal traumas such as abusive relationships, as well as the fun, nice things that happen in our lives from time to time. We've shared them all, laughed and cried.

Jesus, someone will soon be complaining about threads wishing people happy birthday, because it's seen as being just too happy, and congratulatory

Rant over.

Carry on..
Rindy and Harwood Red, thanks for the well written comments. In the past I have spoken of this same daughter as having had a stroke at the age of 10 (oh no, there I go again whinging about family matters). She has overcome many different obstacles.

Mostly, my thread (as titled) was requesting anyone or everyone to share about their kids. Forgive me for not realizing that in England, all the kids move on from 13 years of schooling and go directly into 4 years of college. I didn't realize that.

I fear that the negative comments made about "bragging" may greatly change Accyweb from a family oriented forum into a bunch of whinging, whining, and complaining about all things of life.

I for one wish to always be available to encourage, uplift, and send cheers to those who need it. I wish to be able to laugh with those who laugh and cry with those who cry. And yes, I know, Englishmen don't cry!

IMO, I feel it more appropriate to ignore a thread then to go out of ones way to bring someone down a peg or two. We already have the rest of the world to do that to us all!

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:47   #33
mez
God Member

congratulations to annie victoria & also great news for all the family ......how proud you must be ....as parents we are always proud of the achievements our children overcome in this sad, god forsaken world, THANK YOU for sharing your happiness with your extended accyweb family brian.

p.s. snail mail on way to you all brian ...mez x x
Old 12-06-2007, 09:12   #34
Senior Member+

If you look closely you'll find that I replied politely to the original post and pointed out the differences between the UK and US education system. At no time did I demean LYY or his family's achievements.

The only issue for me was his over-reaction to Margaret's tongue-in-cheek comment and I still stand by that. To start ranting about American involvement in world affairs is a massive over-reation to a simple, no offence intended, comment. Perhaps LYY had his sense of humoUr removed when they implanted that enormous chip (or french fry) on his shoulder?

As for the negative karma, well of course I sent it, because I signed it. At least I own up to criticisms I level on here.

As for some of the other comments on this thread, perhaps I need another level of education, but this time in how to be the perfect sycophant?
Old 12-06-2007, 10:25   #35
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
If you look closely you'll find that I replied politely to the original post and pointed out the differences between the UK and US education system. At no time did I demean LYY or his family's achievements.

The only issue for me was his over-reaction to Margaret's tongue-in-cheek comment and I still stand by that. To start ranting about American involvement in world affairs is a massive over-reation to a simple, no offence intended, comment. Perhaps LYY had his sense of humoUr removed when they implanted that enormous chip (or french fry) on his shoulder?

As for the negative karma, well of course I sent it, because I signed it. At least I own up to criticisms I level on here.

As for some of the other comments on this thread, perhaps I need another level of education, but this time in how to be the perfect sycophant?
sycophant \SIK-uh-fuhnt\, noun:
A person who seeks favor by flattering people of wealth or influence; a parasite; a toady.

I don't think you need any more lessons. Your toadying to Margaret's attack was first class.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:54   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
[B][SIZE=4] Your toadying to Margaret's attack was first class.
Attack??? Oh dear

Good of you to look it up, though.
Old 12-06-2007, 14:29   #37
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Attack??? Oh dear

Good of you to look it up, though.

I'm always willing to help the less fortunate.

Old 12-06-2007, 17:28   #38
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If every member posted about their offspring passing A levels there would be little else to read.
Call me a miserable git if you wish (I dont mind that from you, darling )

If the members didn't post their own personal news items such as exam successes this could turn into a very boring forum indeed. It's these little personal touches which keep it alive and friendly.

I have probably posted about my daughters' successes and failures in their dance competitions. I was particularly proud of Emz when she injured her foot but still went on to win a medal in another dance. I was proud of her achievement.

Where are you suggesting we draw the line? Do we no longer ask for help or advice as Lindsay did with her horsefly bites? Do we no longer tell of our funny experiences?

I sincerely hope you and your miserable opinions remain in the minority or this board will die a slow and agonising death as many others have done.

BTW Brian, not everyone here goes on from High School to further education. Some leave at 16 (but this is due to change as the government puts the school leaving age up to 18) and simply get a job. Some get an apprenticeship. Some continue their education at 'night school' or by correspondence courses. Some go on the 6th Form College and then leave from there and yet others go on from 6th Form College to University.

6th Form College is a bit of an anachronisitic name stemming from the days when High School began with Year One all over again up to Year Five for those leaving after 'O' levels (the equivalent of today's GCSEs) and Year Six for those going on to do 'A' levels. Nowadays the year numbering continues from Primary School which ends with Year Six so they start High School with Year Seven.

Maybe we don't do 'graduating' as it's such a hotchpotch when it comes to leaving. The year 11 pupils just sort of fizzle away from school when they have finished their particular exams or courses and do not all leave at the same time - even if they do all meet up again for the Prom.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 17:40   #39
Yank in King Art's Court!

Thanks Willow for both the explanation of how vastly different the schools systems are as well as what it really means to be an Accywebber in good standing. I know my favorite part of Accyweb is getting to know most by what is going on in their lives as well as their family's lives. I guess some would also demand that ButtomsMum cease and desist with the "family" picture as well as the age marker of their delightful child.

Okay back to thread, for those who may be curious, most U.S. students graduate from High School (their 13th year of schooling) at the age of 18. ~25% go directly into the workforce, ~10% into the military, and the rest move on to 4 year Universities or Colleges or to 2 years of Community College.

I believe we celebrate it as the point of entering true Adulthood. And Rindy, as I'm not well versed in the movie Grease I asked your dance question of Cindy and Joshua. They just kinda laugh and said we do not have that kind of thing.

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 17:47   #40
Beacon of light

I left school at 15 and went straight into employment........so like I say my university was the university of life......I MUST have graduated at some point because I'm retired now....but I have no fine certificate to hang on my wall.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 18:32   #41
Resident Waffler

Just to link with the ages Brian, my daughter who has just done her GCSEs and will be going to 6th form college next year turns 16 next month. Friends in the same year at school are 15/16.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 16:49   #42
God Member

If I had it to do all over again, I would be a carpenter.

My son, who has a Ph.D. in electrical engineering, told me that if he could do it over again, he would be a librarian. My daughter is my lawyer and she seems to be growing a large dorsal fin.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 17:50   #43

All The Best To You For What You Have Done And I Would Like To Say,well Done
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 17:56   #44
God Member

But there is value in education: The great FDR once said "a man who has never gone to school may steal a freight car, but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 18:47   #45
Give, give, give member

I agree with others, having a degree doesn't confer intelligence, but it does offer choices. If you wish, you can still drive a dust cart.

Day to day my degree didn't count one jot, but it did open some doors.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..