Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2009, 13:33   #1

Anyone been to Croatia?

Hubby and I have just booked a last minute deal to Porec in Croatia. Has anyone been here, and if so what's it like?

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-08-2009, 14:15   #2
I am Banned

Re: Anyone been to Croatia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly baby View Post
Hubby and I have just booked a last minute deal to Porec in Croatia. Has anyone been here, and if so what's it like?
Well there are people, houses, shops, buses and such,
but they don't talk Lanky.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 17:21   #3
Resting in Peace

Sorry, only been to Dubrovnik Jelly Baby, which was gorgeous and over 400 miles from Porec.

Looking at their tourist site though, this place looks great too (sure you have looked yourself), and wouldn't mind sneaking in your luggage ...

I understand though you wanting someone who has actually been to give you a run down ... or is it a good idea ? Depending on what they like .. may have thought it a dump, and that will really put you off. So, just go out and enjoy what appears to be a great place ... and don't forget to let us know what you thought... LOL.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 19:13   #4
Beacon of light

I agree with what you say Kate.
You can check out all the internet sites for what others think, but in the end a holiday is more than just the place.....it is the people you meet, it is the places you visit, it is the holiday that YOU make for yourselves.

I have been to places that have had 'bad' reviews, and have found things to be very different from what other people have said.

Go and have a great time.....happy holiday to you both.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 23:08   #5
white rabbits

Ive never heard of Porec,,but Dubrovnik is absolutly beautiful,,
Old 01-08-2009, 23:28   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Slobodan Milosivitch has been.
Old 01-08-2009, 23:39   #7
Give, give, give member

It always looks lovely, but we love the beach.

A beach made of sand.

Which as far as I know Croatia doesn't have.

It's all pebbles.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 00:03   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It always looks lovely, but we love the beach.

A beach made of sand.

Which as far as I know Croatia doesn't have.

It's all pebbles.
Maybe ... but sandy beaches are not everyone's cup of tea, but at least Porec does have three winemakers ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:00   #9
God Member

The Waffen SS have been and were welcomed with open arms
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:42   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Maybe ... but sandy beaches are not everyone's cup of tea, but at least Porec does have three winemakers ...
True, I know people who never go to the beach, whatever it's made of, but not this beach lover, which is probably why I'm keener on St. Tropez than Nice...or do I mean being nice?

Like I say it does look lovely.

Perhaps I'll go there when I'm in a bath chair, and can be wheeled on the pebble beach.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:44   #11
Senior Member+

I went to Porec on holiday, but it was many years ago (about 30), when it was then Yugoslavia, so cant remember an awful lot about the place. I do recall most of the hotels being a little way out of the Town Centre and the beach that i was near was made up of small pebbles. The Old Town itself was very nice and atmospheric with lots of Ice Cream parlours. I recall having a day trip to Trieste in Italy, and i think trips to Venice were also on offer! All the staff in Hotels/Restaurants wore the same kind of uniforms, and the people were very polite, if a little reserved. But as i say that was back in the days when it was Yugoslavia. I cant really remember much more than that i'm afraid. I'm sure you'll have a nice time though!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:24   #12
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device

Been to Croatia twice but not to Porec. We love it there, the people are friendly and genuinely wanted tourists there as it was us going that was forcing the government to improve the infrastructure. You can even drink the water out the taps were we went.(Tucepi )

The beaches are pebbly unless you go to the islands, where there are some nice sandy ones. The food is typically med suff, pasta, pizza, meats etc and was very good value when we last went. ( steak about a fiver, pizza/pasta ~3 quid, beer about 1.50 a pint. )

The local hooch is nice and fiery

You need to remember that the Germans have been going since not long after the war ended whhere the brits only started going back about 5 years ago so expect german to be the primary language but english is widel;y spoken.

Its quite weird seing the aftermath of the war still. Hotels and buildings with bullet holes, derelict hotels waiting to be refurbd etc.having said that its not a dump and adds a bit more interest than another pub selling full engish breakfass.

Highly recommend from Julie and me.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 16:28   #13
Give, give, give member

It's a popular destination for naturists.

Old 03-08-2009, 18:11   #14

Thanks for all your replies, I'm sure we'll have a great time.

Jelly Baby
Old 18-08-2009, 19:29   #15

Well, we had a fab time in Porec, will deffo be going again. This has to be he most pictueresque place we have ever seen. Lots of Italian restaurants ( many Italians ferry across or drive over), as stated, loads of ice cream vendors, rocky beaches and nudists!! Most of the beaches have been made very family friendly with a sort of prom and places to put sunbeds, also they have made safe swimming areas all along the 'beaches' by corralling the sea into a sort of swimming pool. There is a lot of snorkelling too. It was great.

Jelly Baby

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..