Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009, 17:46   #1
God Member

Anyone else remember ....

Yesterday ... that would be June 2 for those who have trouble counting backwards ... I was listening to the radio (one of my many skills) and they were playing music from the Queen's coronation, which took place on June 2, 1953. Does anyone else remember watching it on TV? I remember that it was a Bush 12" black and white, with a cabinet bigger than my Caddy ... goddamit I'm getting old
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-06-2009, 17:58   #2
God Member

Re: Anyone else remember ....

I wasn't even a twinkle in my Dads eye in June 1953
Old 03-06-2009, 19:27   #3
God Member

Seem to remember we (primary/infants school kids) got a silver plate tea spoon and a "matchbox" size coach and horses , think I melted it down a few years layer when I got a bunsen burner in a chemistry set . not sure what the older kids got.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 19:39   #4

I was 2 on Coronation Day, i remember we, my grandparents and I, went to a friends house, my first time i had seen a t.v., watched it on a very small screen with a magnifying glass in front, there must have been about 20 people in that room that day.
vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 20:08   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera View Post
I was 2 on Coronation Day, i remember we, my grandparents and I, went to a friends house, my first time i had seen a t.v., watched it on a very small screen with a magnifying glass in front, there must have been about 20 people in that room that day.
Yup ... we had a roomfull too, but not as many as we had for the Cup Final ... my grandad bought a tv a couple of months before Holme Moss (?) started transmitting ... he bought it for my gran who was dying of cancer ... unfortunately she died before she got to see a show.

I also remember a sports day that was held to celebrate the coronation ... down off the end of Sparth Rd. ... can't remember the name of the place ... I remember winning the sack race ... think I won a mug with pics of the Queen and Phil the Greek on it ... wish I still had it; probably worth a few bucks now.

Buddy of mine tells me that in Kingston, all the kids in schools watched the show ... not live of course .... oh the days before satellites
Old 03-06-2009, 20:37   #6
Passed away 25-11-09

I was 10 years old and we had had a telly for just over a year but a lot of neighbours bought them for the Coronation. Every house, including ours, had bunting strung up and the Hare and Hounds had 2 huge crowns stuck on its wall.

My mother insisted I join a procession of children, all holding limp Union Flags (it was drizzling), that walked down the middle of Blackburn Rd from the Co-op Dairy to St Thomas' Church, almost opposite our house. I did not want to be part of it, it was pointless when you think about it, or to go to the subsequent bun fight in the church hall but my mother had contributed jelly and cakes so I was obliged to go. I got out as soon as I could.

At school we were all (across the country) given a Coronation mug with pictures of the queen and Philip on. Of course most of us used them, just like any other mug, and they got broken. Any that are still around are now worth a few quid.
Old 03-06-2009, 20:56   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I was 10 years old and we had had a telly for just over a year but a lot of neighbours bought them for the Coronation. Every house, including ours, had bunting strung up and the Hare and Hounds had 2 huge crowns stuck on its wall.

My mother insisted I join a procession of children, all holding limp Union Flags (it was drizzling), that walked down the middle of Blackburn Rd from the Co-op Dairy to St Thomas' Church, almost opposite our house. I did not want to be part of it, it was pointless when you think about it, or to go to the subsequent bun fight in the church hall but my mother had contributed jelly and cakes so I was obliged to go. I got out as soon as I could.

At school we were all (across the country) given a Coronation mug with pictures of the queen and Philip on. Of course most of us used them, just like any other mug, and they got broken. Any that are still around are now worth a few quid.
You mean I could have got the mug without jumping around in a bloody sack Sheeeeit.
Old 03-06-2009, 22:09   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Yesterday ... that would be June 2 for those who have trouble counting backwards ... I was listening to the radio (one of my many skills) and they were playing music from the Queen's coronation, which took place on June 2, 1953. Does anyone else remember watching it on TV? I remember that it was a Bush 12" black and white, with a cabinet bigger than my Caddy ... goddamit I'm getting old
Aye I remember that, we could'nt afford a tele, got some wiring diagrams thro wireless world, and went round all the Army and Navy stores, when they were proper stores selling ex goverment gear. finally got the cathode ray tube in Darwen St, Blackburn, it were near 2 ft long, managed to get it finished in time, one trouble was an aerial the right length for the frequency, finished up with it strapped to the chimney pot.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:53   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Aye I remember that, we could'nt afford a tele, got some wiring diagrams thro wireless world, and went round all the Army and Navy stores, when they were proper stores selling ex goverment gear. finally got the cathode ray tube in Darwen St, Blackburn, it were near 2 ft long, managed to get it finished in time, one trouble was an aerial the right length for the frequency, finished up with it strapped to the chimney pot.

Retlaw.
Hey, back in the day, that stuff was high tech, the cutting edge As an aside: did you stay up to watch the first satalite broadcast by Telstar (I think) ... ?
Old 04-06-2009, 07:22   #10
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

We Got a Coronation Mug from school, and I remember watching it on my aunty's television, seem to remember quite a lot of people crammed into her front room. I was just coming on 6 years old.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:32   #11

Was the sports ground the Woodlands Eric.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:22   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post

Retlaw.
I can take it it wasn't HD then Walter
Old 04-06-2009, 09:31   #13
Resting in Peace

I was only six at the time and we didn't have a telly, but on the coronation day we all went to Jimmy Goralls, who had a green grocers shop on Union Road (became the Steak Bar in the 80s) to watch it. After we went to a street party in Hodgson Street, until it started raining, the party then moved to FoxHill Grove Church Hall on Hartley Street. I lived in Monarch Street at the time and all the street was decked out in bunting, flags and big crowns. A few weeks later all the school kids went from school to the Palladium Cinema to watch the colour film they made of the day
Old 04-06-2009, 17:23   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Was the sports ground the Woodlands Eric.
Yeah ... that was it, the Woodlands ... thanks for jogging the memory

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..