Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-06-2015, 10:29   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Anyone for Gout?

A few years ago, I slipped on a petrol station forecourt- fell onto my knees.Two days later, I could hardly walk and thought I had broken a toe. Went to hospital - Xray showed no break. The doctor asked if I suffered from gout. -"Yes" He told me the trauma of the fall had brought it on.

I have had attacks after eating seafood.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-06-2015, 11:01   #32
Beacon of light

I think dehydration must play a part in this horrible condition as those who have been on diuretics for long period seem to be affected....if that was true for everyone though my Dad would never have had it...he used to drink at least 8 pint pots of tea every day......I mean a real pint pot,not a mug...and some days he would get through ten of them.....no milk, but six sugars......and he was built like a grey hound...not a pick on him!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 11:31   #33
God Member

re- paracetemol v ibuprofen
I am on my 5th day of an attack of cystitis and paracetemol wasn't easing the pain.
After reading here about ibuprofen I added Nurofen to my grocery order (just delivered). - Taken some and can feel the difference.

Last edited by MargaretR; 24-06-2015 at 11:35.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 11:54   #34
Beacon of light

Hope you feel better soon Margaret....and it might be worth trying one of each to see if that helps.

Bob....any fall/tissue damage causes prostaglandins to be released and if you have a pre-existing inflammatory condition the release of these chemicals in your body can stir up other inflammatory processes.

Gordon...your Gp might want to wait until the gouty episode is gone completely before he prescribes allopurinol(or similar)....and even when the gouty episode is gone, starting these drugs will sometimes stir it up for a short time so be warned...have a good supply of whisky, peas and paracetamol on standby...with a couple of strong cups of black coffee.
Bob Dobson likes this.
Old 24-06-2015, 19:27   #35

I get about 1 or 2 attacks a yeardespite taking Allopronol which does lessen the number
but the Doctor prescribes me Colchicine,tiny little tablets which halves the time I'm out of action
maxthecollie likes this.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 20:11   #36
Beacon of light

the gout club is getting bigger Gordon...pretty soon there will be enough of you for a summer 'ride-out'.
Old 24-06-2015, 20:34   #37
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
We should start a club!
Gordoes Gouty Gang???
Old 24-06-2015, 20:53   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I dribnk a lot of port. I don't think it affects me,
Are you sure?

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 24-06-2015 at 20:56.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 01:50   #39

From all the gouty ones who have contributed to this thread it sounds like it’s mainly a man-thing but we women can suffer it too. I had it a few years ago in my foot and can sympathise with anyone who has the misfortune to suffer gout. It is extremely painful and debilitating.

I found a way to shuffle and slide my foot so that I could move about albeit very painfully. However, things had to be done and being the bleeding martyr that I am I carried on as best I could.

It’s a while ago now and I can’t remember what the treatment was or what the doctor gave me. Think he told me to rest – ha ha, that’s a joke!
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 08:13   #40
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Gordoes Gouty Gang???
"Gout Louts" maybe?
DaveinGermany likes this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 08:15   #41
I am Banned

[QUOTE=dotti34;1143302]From all the gouty ones who have contributed to this thread it sounds like it’s mainly a man-thing but we women can suffer it too. QUOTE]

See my post #28 Dotti.
Old 25-06-2015, 08:35   #42

Have done so, DtheP. Interesting that this is happening. Don't know what caused mine - definitely not what is causing the young ones to have gout. Whatever it was I don't want it again.
maxthecollie likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 11:08   #43
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
gout used to be thought of as a 'toffs' disease.
The toffs ate wild game,venison, partridge, pheasant, offal(kidneys for breakfast) and seafood, lobster mussels crab etc......all these are rich in purines...which causes the uric acid crystals to be deposited in joints.
The cartoons used to show the lord of the manor with his foot on a stool heavily bandaged suffering great pain.

I'm not sure that port is rich in purines, but I am happy to be educated if someone else knows better.
That reminds me of an episode of Keeping up Appearances where Hyacinths husband had athletes foot and she bandaged it up and told him to tell everyone it was gout from fine wines and good living!
Old 29-06-2015, 12:43   #44
God Member

I regret my use of ibuprofen.
Last friday I had 20 hours of intense severe bowel pain which was severe enough to cause hallucinations. My assessment of what happened to me has been confirmed by a doc home visit today.

beware - ibuprofen does this to some people

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 14:09   #45
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I regret my use of ibuprofen.
Last friday I had 20 hours of intense severe bowel pain which was severe enough to cause hallucinations. My assessment of what happened to me has been confirmed by a doc home visit today.

beware - ibuprofen does this to some people
Old Speckled Hen does that for me Margaret.
So much so I have renamed it "Old Speckled Toilet Bowl"

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..