Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveinGermany

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-08-2014, 14:15   #1
Senior Member+

Anyone going to see the illuminations?

This year the lights are allegedly being switched on by Peter Kay, Friday 29 August 2014.
Blackpool Illuminations 2014 Switch On Concert - Blackpool Lights 2014

Just wondering if anyone will be going? I'd like to see the people shots in the picture thread.

Personally, I've never been to a lights 'switch on', and suspect I never will.
I've rarely even seen them switched on except on my first visit in the 80s.

Me and our peg visited in 2005 and I couldn't believe how much the place had changed.... The promenade had been completely revamped, their trams were more modern and loads of nightclubs seemed to have sprung up and there were a lot more drunken idiots knocking about.
For the record,Blackpool North seemed more my cup of tea (quieter/cleaner).

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-08-2014, 14:47   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Anyone going to see the illuminations?

Disagree i lived Blackpool South on the prom, up past the pleasure beach,early 90s n it was really peaceful n quiet, The drunken louts dont go further than pleasure beach i found, I certainly aint going to see the lights, now kids grown up n gone have no real interest in em, used to walk em the full monty when i lived yon though.
Old 21-08-2014, 18:04   #3
Senior Member+

There was a time I wanted to live there myself c (not anymore).
I hear Blackpool property is fairly cheap nowadays (in comparison to other coastal towns).Mind you, it's probably due to nobody wanting to live there anymore. I may be wrong and there are still folk who retire to Blackpool but I'd assume they'd go more Cleveleys,St Anne's.

Obviously, with you having lived there your view trumps my visit for any guides to coastal towns

password--Accyweb
Old 21-08-2014, 18:12   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Doubt very much if many retire to Blackpool, though its outlying districts some do.
Old 21-08-2014, 18:30   #5
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
coastal towns)I may be wrong and there are still folk who retire to Blackpool but I'd assume they'd go more Cleveleys,St Anne's.
Cleveleys is Gods waiting room! It's full of wrinklys & tea rooms, mind you the Chippy over the road from the British Legion by the Bus depot & B&M's (a proper wrinkly gathering spot) does a really nice portion of fish & chips.
Stevie R likes this.
Old 22-08-2014, 01:38   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Cleveleys is Gods waiting room! It's full of wrinklys & tea rooms, mind you the Chippy over the road from the British Legion by the Bus depot & B&M's (a proper wrinkly gathering spot) does a really nice portion of fish & chips.
I can't say I've ever had the pleasure Dave, I'll be sure to put it on my list though if I'm ever in the area.
As for "gods waiting room" that applies to most of our coastal towns.
Well the ones that aren't stuffed with oxygen thieves.
Let's be honest, many of our seaside resorts are falling to bits most of the shops are closed and boarded, The only places that seem open are tesco/spar and the local cafe/chippy

password--Accyweb
Old 22-08-2014, 21:32   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I can't say I've ever had the pleasure Dave, I'll be sure to put it on my list though if I'm ever in the area.
As for "gods waiting room" that applies to most of our coastal towns.
Well the ones that aren't stuffed with oxygen thieves.
Let's be honest, many of our seaside resorts are falling to bits most of the shops are closed and boarded, The only places that seem open are tesco/spar and the local cafe/chippy
Don't know which ones you have visited but there are quite a few within an hours drive of here - Blackpool (South of the Pleasure Beach and north of the Norbreck), Cleveleys, Lytham, St Annes, Fairhaven, Southport - all of which are thriving well kept towns.
I know Blackpool pretty well having lived in Norbreck and Anchorsholme - quite agree with you that Blackpool itself is a terrible place but not much decent private housing anyway unless you get well away from the seafront.
One golden rule was always to stay away from Town Centre pubs and bars during the season.
Old 22-08-2014, 23:55   #8
Senior Member+

:

password--Accyweb
Old 22-08-2014, 23:56   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Don't know which ones you have visited but there are quite a few within an hours drive of here - Blackpool (South of the Pleasure Beach and north of the Norbreck), Cleveleys, Lytham, St Annes, Fairhaven, Southport - all of which are thriving well kept towns.
I know Blackpool pretty well having lived in Norbreck and Anchorsholme - quite agree with you that Blackpool itself is a terrible place but not much decent private housing anyway unless you get well away from the seafront.
One golden rule was always to stay away from Town Centre pubs and bars during the season.
I was thinking the likes of Scarborough, Paignton and of course Blackpool (seafront)
Unfortunately many others are included in allowing their area to be filled up with drunks, druggies and folk on benefits.
St Ives in Cornwall being another one. Me and our peg have been there numerous times, nowadays the place is full of down and out drunks in the town, it's nothing like it used to be.
Perhaps it's due to our elderly not being able to afford to retire to these seaside resorts anymore,maybe they make more renting to folk on benefits

To be honest I didn't think us Brits got to retire these days what with having to work till 70 or something daft

password--Accyweb
Old 26-08-2014, 13:15   #10

This should be OK. Time to get on my bike, methinks.

Ride the Lights 2014 - Show / Display in BLACKPOOL, Blackpool - Visit Lancashire
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 14:09   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Good on you, don't forget to take a camera as I'm pretty sure it's not just me that would like to see the people shots etc

password--Accyweb

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..