Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 14:10   #16
God Member

Re: anyone on here build websites ?

hang on lancsdave, perhaps we should charge to proof read his websites

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-01-2009, 14:41   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
hang on lancsdave, perhaps we should charge to proof read his websites
I see another post that has turned into something other than what the poster initially asked.deary me everyday i wonder just why i bother to read accyweb at all
Polly_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 14:42   #18

The coming soon is in reference to the more complex social networking features that im developing for the site. Eventually it will allow people to add new words and dialects in a similar fashion to a wiki.
Old 07-01-2009, 14:45   #19

Correction, my fault. just spotted that error.
Old 07-01-2009, 15:00   #20
Caz
God Member

Quote:
I see another post that has turned into something other than what the poster initially asked.deary me everyday i wonder just why i bother to read accyweb at all
Maybe this is one of the cases where someone - GG -is being helped, and possibly saved some money Polly?

There are several spelling and grammar errors in the bits I have bothered to look at so far. Don't know of any self respecting professional web designer who woud allow a site to go live without being proof read. You don't just assume the client's spelling/grammar is correct, you get it sorted so it looks professional. Bad grammar/spelling may not be an issue on a forum, but it certainly is if you are trying to promote a new business, as it gives an impression.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 15:04   #21

As for the dialect dictionary, it is not a business but a personal hobby I run. As for the other two i really cant speak because i did not write the actual content but rather the site design and back end code.

If they want to save some money then by all means they should make it, if that what is important to them then that is just fine.
Old 07-01-2009, 15:12   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Maybe this is one of the cases where someone - GG -is being helped, and possibly saved some money Polly?

There are several spelling and grammar errors in the bits I have bothered to look at so far. Don't know of any self respecting professional web designer who woud allow a site to go live without being proof read. You don't just assume the client's spelling/grammar is correct, you get it sorted so it looks professional. Bad grammar/spelling may not be an issue on a forum, but it certainly is if you are trying to promote a new business, as it gives an impression.
possibly so,but in my opinion no one should come under attack for asking or even offering to help the initial poster.if this was to happen on my forum i wouldnt be a happy bunny.Surely we are all here to help and offer any advice.not pull each others posts to bit.
Polly_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 15:16   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly_45 View Post
.Surely we are all here to help and offer any advice.not pull each others posts to bits.

Some people on here are good at that............( although not the ones who have posted in this thread, you know who you are.....)

Last edited by pipinfort; 07-01-2009 at 15:19.
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 15:18   #24
Senior Member+

i actually thought they were helping him out and havig a technical discussion that i didnt understand a word of (happens alot with entwisi lol )

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 15:24   #25

i'm not here to start any arguments or rip anybody off. If they want to services of a wed developer than they have my number and im always available for a chat in which i always tell the customer all of the options they have open even if that is making it without me.

I'd rather have a good reputation than go around ripping people off, which anybody who has used me for development or support would vouch for.
Old 07-01-2009, 15:37   #26
God Member

I asked a genuine question because I wasn't sure if it was a typo or some other spelling/meaning of the word in this weird and wonderful world we now live in

As it happens I did him a favour by questioning it

I actually wanted to ask a question of my own about websites but I better not in case somebody doesn't like the answer, or even worse there is more than one opinion
Old 07-01-2009, 19:09   #27

Thanks lancsdave, i had not spotted the mistake but its now fixed :-)
Old 08-01-2009, 09:45   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
How complex does it need to be?
not that complexed, bout 4 pages in total.

welcome page, etc etc...
no vids, no music, no gifs..nothing like that.
a bog standard normal does as it says on the tin website.
If you put together your text in four separate documents, most wordprocessors will allow you to save it as HTML. Save it before you've typed to much, so the restrictions imposed by HTML will be available while you're typing (WYSIWYG).

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, email me the docs by all means. Sounds like it will be about five minutes work to get them converted from word format or RTF into HTML format. Just make sure you have some consistent way of identifying where you want links between the documents, and any links to pages on ther sites.

Where will the pages be hosted?

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 14:51   #29

Hold on your honestly suggesting building the web site in a word processor? Have you ever seen the HTML produced by a word processor?

I don't mean to be rude but that is a seriously bad idea, even if you just look at it from an search engine point of view. Google and other search engines really don't like that sort of stuff to the point where you might as well not even have a web page.

For what it costs to get a 4 page static web site done its seriously not worth doing yourself in MS Word.
Old 08-01-2009, 19:26   #30
God Member

Have you ever seen the code generated by a word processor? Specifically Open Office Writer. Its actually very clean of all the crap that Word adds.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..