Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-06-2007, 11:05   #1
I am Banned

Question Anyone with dispraxic child?

Has anyone else got a dispraxic child, just got my youngest diagnosis results which he has dispraxia, altho suspected for a long time now, it still is a little shock to the system with it being confirmed now.

Coped with it so far in the dark ok, just wondered if anyone else has experience with it as theoretically is different to the practical
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-06-2007, 10:56   #2
God Member

Re: Anyone with dispraxic child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
Has anyone else got a dispraxic child, just got my youngest diagnosis results which he has dispraxia, altho suspected for a long time now, it still is a little shock to the system with it being confirmed now.

Coped with it so far in the dark ok, just wondered if anyone else has experience with it as theoretically is different to the practical
Just out of curiosity whys it different theoretically to the practical?
What are the symptoms in general of dyspraxia and what symptoms does your child have?
How old is your child?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 11:25   #3
Give, give, give member

I'm sorry to hear that Mel. I'll admit I didn't know what it was, so had to look it up, and came across this positive piece, which may be of interest.

A large amount of dyspraxics tend to be highly articulate and are known to be have extremely high verbal IQs. A number of famous authors are thought to have shown symptoms of dyspraxia including Ernest Hemingway, The Brontė sisters and Jack Kerouac.

I know you'll fight to ensure your child gets the best treatment and care.

Good luck. xxx

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 12:06   #4
God Member

I find it confusing when people say they are sorry about things like that. Its not necessary a bad thing because its just part of who they are. Like if you had a child with ginger hair, you'd be a bit offended if people said they were sorry because its normal to you

Most conditions like dispraxia, dyslexia, and things like autism and downs syndrome are suggested to have high intelligence.
The problem is that most of the time people under appreciate this because they see a child looking or behaving in a certain way and presume that theres a lack of intelligence.
Old 16-06-2007, 13:32   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I find it confusing when people say they are sorry about things like that.
It's called compassion.

I have Parkinson's Disease. Someone may say that they are sorry that at thirty nine I was diagnosed with it, and that my life changed forever, and robbed me of the only natural talent I had. Their sorrow doesn't make the disease any easier to live with, but their concern touches my heart, and thus makes me feel a little better.

Showing concern, isn't showing pity, but of course this is going to affect Mel's family, and they are probably worried about the future, not to say that the future isn't going to be bright.

Old 16-06-2007, 13:49   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It's called compassion.

I have Parkinson's Disease. Someone may say that they are sorry that at thirty nine I was diagnosed with it, and that my life changed forever, and robbed me of the only natural talent I had. Their sorrow doesn't make the disease any easier to live with, but their concern touches my heart, and thus makes me feel a little better.

Showing concern, isn't showing pity, but of course this is going to affect Mel's family, and they are probably worried about the future, not to say that the future isn't going to be bright.
I meant that when a child has always had the condition. Obviously its sad that they arent 'normal' by the general standard but to themselves and their family they ARE normal.

I was just saying how its strange how people say it when there isnt always a good reason to think that way. It wasnt aimed specifically at you.
Old 16-06-2007, 14:29   #7
God Member

Quote:
are known to have extremely high verbal IQs.
No doubting that, should it have said high and constant though ?
Old 16-06-2007, 14:33   #8

Big hugs to you mel. I know at the moment its probably still a shock for you but at least now you have got a diagnosis you can start to move on and your little un can receive the correct help that they may need
Tombraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 14:34   #9
I am Banned

Not after sympathy nor 'special help' Blazey, until you have family of your own you wont understand & think that was a bit strong & not what i was posting about. Yes my youngest has had it from birth - its took over 5 years to get him recogonised by the health proffessionals about it, also he has more another serious medical condition to deal with which will disable him when older & has to have a major op, so yeh in one way significant in comparrison to that but again how can you or anyone [unless been through it or have close family that has] can be certain of the effects, its hard to deal with a dispraxic child plus with a disability that has effected the gross motor skills, in daily tasks for him which is hard!

My son is as normal as anyone & I TREAT him that way, but in day & age of peer pressure in schools especially high school, im preparing for - hence i enquired as there maybe another member who has same condition or have family with same condition whom could give me their wisdom & advice on the practical, we can all read books, as with any parenting issue its somewhat different to deal with the practical than having theory alone!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 14:39   #10
God Member

Quote:
Not after sympathy nor 'special help' Blazey, until you have family of your own you wont understand & think that was a bit strong & not what i was posting about. Yes my youngest has had it from birth - its took over 5 years to get him recogonised by the health proffessionals about it, also he has more another serious medical condition to deal with which will disable him when older & has to have a major op, so yeh in one way significant in comparrison to that but again how can you or anyone [unless been through it or have close family that has] can be certain of the effects, its hard to deal with a dispraxic child plus with a disability that has effected the gross motor skills, in daily tasks for him which is hard!

My son is as normal as anyone & I TREAT him that way, but in day & age of peer pressure in schools especially high school, im preparing for - hence i enquired as there maybe another member who has same condition or have family with same condition whom could give me their wisdom & advice on the practical, we can all read books, as with any parenting issue its somewhat different to deal with the practical than having theory alone!
The reason I asked is because I believe my brother has a similar difficulty.

I asked why you were needing advice now if you have coped for quite some time already. Obviously your doing a great job and have knowledge already of how to cope, its motherly instinct to cope with whatever a child has.

I dont know why people assume a person doesnt have children either just because they havent mentioned them. Caring for anyone whether its your child or not with an illness is enough to understand a difficulty.
Old 16-06-2007, 16:18   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I asked why you were needing advice now if you have coped for quite some time already.
Firstly, I presume, because it's only just been diagnosed, and secondly because people who are facing the same situation can offer just that, support, as well as any advice that might be useful.

The best thing my neurologist ever did for me was putting me into contact with someone with Parkinson's who was the same age as myself. The mutual support and understanding has been invaluable.

Old 16-06-2007, 16:22   #12
God Member

Quote:
Firstly, I presume, because it's only just been diagnosed, and secondly because people who are facing the same situation can offer just that, support, as well as any advice that might be useful.

The best thing my neurologist ever did for me was putting me into contact with someone with Parkinson's who was the same age as myself. The mutual support and understanding has been invaluable.
Its because I thought she needed help with practicality of it rather than theory, when obviously it meant the other way round
Old 17-06-2007, 14:16   #13

Iam sorry to here that mel i hope you are getting help with this illness of your child and there is some one out there to help with it. good luck.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:54   #14

Hi there, actually i was just looking through some 9 year old medical files and found a letter diognosing me as dispraxic so i looked it up an here i am.

I remember going to speach pathologists and occupational therapists for about 2 years, i was always pretty smart but never acheived much in school until i hit year eleven and twelve where strangely enough i went from being just below average to top of the class in all of my subjects(Except english, not a fan) I achieved excellent results in the HSC and am now at uni doing Urban Planning and doing very well both socially and academically.

I would probably attribute my dispraxia with years of bullying from year 2 to year 10. Doing sport like taekwondo, soccor and lifting weights (Later years), extra reading and other activities as well as the tutoring really helped me get out of it. Self esteem and friends ect.. But i guess every case is different.
Heelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 10:48   #15

Smile Re: Anyone with dispraxic child?

Quote:

hi its not all bad news these kids are very loving once some of the problems are sorted.my girl goes to dore sure google will find it for you .they will send you a free dvd well worth a look.one other point make sure your school is up to speed with dispraxia . keep at the school these kids need extra help
gmsdumbarton is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..