Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 14:44   #46
Resting In Peace

Re: Are registered members frightening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think it could be a bit scary being a newbie on here(it really depends on your constitution...your ability to bite back, but gently ).
It has been said in many other threads that sometimes new members come here with the wrong attitude(I'm not entirely sure 'attitude' is quite the right word)...they encounter some flak and then spit the dummy and are never heard of again.
I can remember coming here a long time ago and being in awe of some of the longstanding members....and I stood back for a good while getting the 'feel' of the place before posting.
It is by far the most interesting and varied forum(bar none) and it is the core of regular posters who make it like this.
I spent a few weeks as an observer before registering and jumped right in with both feet with a very long post about my childhood in Accy, thoughts I had been mulling over for some time and wanted to get down in words. I didn't even know there was an "introduce yourself" section !

I was overwhelmed with the good reception my thread received and was made to feel very welcome by many people. Similarly when I posted about my illness a few months people were so very supportive. I guess I must have struck a chord with some folks and they feel like a family now... and as with most families there are ups and downs and some people who get on your nerves but all in all it's been a very good experience for me and helped me through some hard times.

It may be my attitude that has helped me get along so well here but it's also the thought of a community out there who are very caring about someone they may never meet. Is there a cure for this addiction? I hope not!
Old 01-05-2012, 15:07   #47
God Member

I joined to play the daily quiz against my mum -then found it was interesting to "talk" to Accywebbers -better company than my cats as they answer back and can often make you laugh. As a newbie some people come across as a bit strident -I had an early run-in with Less (as many do!) but you do get a feel for what people are like over time and begin to understand how they tick and what their "bug-bears" are and their sense of humour. I really miss the lanky sense of humour -and no-one gets me over here in Italy, they just think the British are a sarky lot and get offended! There are such a range of opinions to be shared and things to be learned from others and that's what keeps it interesting.
Some have come and gone - who could forget "Groove" or "The Cardinal" -whatever happened to him I wonder -I always had a feeling it was A-B dressed in red!
That's a funny thing too -you have an idea in your mind about how people are in "real-life" and having met a few Accywebbers now i can say that that they have been pretty much as i imagined them so far -with the odd exception, won't say who!
I have seen that in the past they used to have fairly regular local meets and social evenings, which seem to be much less frequent now -seems like a shame. I do know that some meet regularly in the Railway pub on a Saturday morning in town -wish I'd had the courage to drop in when i was around recently but I've never been into a pub on my own -maybe next time and then i can confirm what I've been told, that Less is actually really quite nice...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 15:49   #48
Senior Member+

Yeh registered members are - Internet can bring out some nasty tongues! Ref: red Karma dished out from my post made on this thread...
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 16:13   #49
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Yeh registered members are - Internet can bring out some nasty tongues! Ref: red Karma dished out from my post made on this thread...
Mate, don't go there !!! Just let it ride eh ? Because I for one certainly don't want this thread to go the same way as some others have. Pebble on a beach fella, pebble on a beach, washing back & forth with the flow, taking life as it comes.
Old 01-05-2012, 16:22   #50
Rest in Peace

Maybe it's Joke of the Day frighting them?
As Dave says take as it comes.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 16:34   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Mate, don't go there !!! Just let it ride eh ? Because I for one certainly don't want this thread to go the same way as some others have. Pebble on a beach fella, pebble on a beach, washing back & forth with the flow, taking life as it comes.
"Just let it ride eh" ... you spent too long in god's country, bud ... right down to the "eh", eh.

Let it ride, eh:

BTO ... great Canadian band, eh.

Oh ... and don't Bogart that joint ... pass it over
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 16:39   #52
Senior Member+

I see the bird brain has posted on here with the bile he spreads on other threads, he is a one theme poster. This post was instigated to have a discussion about getting new members. The bird brain is on my ignore list and I only get to read what he says if someone quotes him, I haven't read his posts for a while, but they remain the same nasty rage against the world.
Sorry to go off topic but I resent the spoilers posted by the drug gang, and just watch, more will follow!
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 16:51   #53
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
"Just let it ride eh" ... you spent too long in god's country, bud ... right down to the "eh", eh. BTO ... great Canadian band, eh.
Actually, with hindsight not long enough Eric. But who knows ? Maybe one day I'll get back across.

As to BTO, not really heard much of their stuff so can't really say.
Old 01-05-2012, 17:01   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I just looked and most are bots at the moment - at least 75%
Have you asked these bots if they would like to join?
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 17:23   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I spent a few weeks as an observer before registering and jumped right in with both feet with a very long post about my childhood in Accy, thoughts I had been mulling over for some time and wanted to get down in words. I didn't even know there was an "introduce yourself" section !

I was overwhelmed with the good reception my thread received and was made to feel very welcome by many people. Similarly when I posted about my illness a few months people were so very supportive. I guess I must have struck a chord with some folks and they feel like a family now... and as with most families there are ups and downs and some people who get on your nerves but all in all it's been a very good experience for me and helped me through some hard times.

It may be my attitude that has helped me get along so well here but it's also the thought of a community out there who are very caring about someone they may never meet. Is there a cure for this addiction? I hope not!
I agree with you Susie, I too never introduced myself and it took me ages to get the hang of the forum. I think I couldn't do without it now although often when I haven't much time, I just take a quick look at what's on without registering, so I probably appears a one of those guests!!. I think it's probably a bit of shyness for some people or perhaps many just don't understand Cashman when he uses pure dialect ( I love it personally)!!
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 17:47   #56
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I see the bird brain has posted on here with the bile he spreads on other threads, he is a one theme poster. This post was instigated to have a discussion about getting new members. The bird brain is on my ignore list and I only get to read what he says if someone quotes him, I haven't read his posts for a while, but they remain the same nasty rage against the world.
Sorry to go off topic but I resent the spoilers posted by the drug gang, and just watch, more will follow!
I've done exactly the same Dave, no need to read drugies now thank god, should have done it a while ago
Old 01-05-2012, 17:49   #57
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Have you asked these bots if they would like to join?
That's a bit like asking the Canal Fire extinguisher to join Dave
Old 01-05-2012, 18:15   #58
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
There are 2 "guests" watching now, Eric as well as you and me -i wonder who they are?

What can we do to entertain them I wonder...and get them to dip their toes into the pool!

Come in the waters lovely
It doesn't matter what you do, people that want to join in, join in.
The rest, well, the rest, I just hope they can click on the ad's without logging in.
It will keep the site open for the rest of us.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 18:16   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
That's a bit like asking the Canal Fire extinguisher to join Dave
Come to think of it .... that's not a bad idea
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 18:18   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Come to think of it .... that's not a bad idea
Could make it an honorary member Eric

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..