Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 13:31   #106
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Are registered members frightening?

What's really frightening is the amount of digs against established members, no clique, no Mafia, just people that post regularly.
Why do so many think that the majority on here should have to fit in with the minority of newcomers?
If you're a newbie that posts something worthwhile you will get worthwhile replies.

If you post rubbish that you demand is the, light the truth and all that should be, you will find you are not only alone in your existence but on site as well.
Don't try to change regular posters, don't expect any sensible member to allow you to walk over us.
Learn to alter the flow by being worthwhile to read not demanding everyone else should alter to your own narrow view, why should we be polite with the one's that come on to tell us we are all wrong and the site should immediately change to their point of view?

We had a thread many years ago, we called the watchers ghosts, so far as I'm concerned I would rather have 10 ghost's that never post than one failed hippy that just complains because he/she/it can't get on with folk and goes out of his/her/it's way to post annoying threads.

Last edited by Less; 03-05-2012 at 13:34.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-05-2012, 14:09   #107
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
What's really frightening is the amount of digs against established members, no clique, no Mafia, just people that post regularly.
Why do so many think that the majority on here should have to fit in with the minority of newcomers?
If you're a newbie that posts something worthwhile you will get worthwhile replies.

If you post rubbish that you demand is the, light the truth and all that should be, you will find you are not only alone in your existence but on site as well.
Don't try to change regular posters, don't expect any sensible member to allow you to walk over us.
Learn to alter the flow by being worthwhile to read not demanding everyone else should alter to your own narrow view, why should we be polite with the one's that come on to tell us we are all wrong and the site should immediately change to their point of view?

We had a thread many years ago, we called the watchers ghosts, so far as I'm concerned I would rather have 10 ghost's that never post than one failed hippy that just complains because he/she/it can't get on with folk and goes out of his/her/it's way to post annoying threads.
Very well put Less, I would also like to add, that if we all gave over responding to their purile posts, they would soon leave. They are only doing to bait Accy Webbers into responding.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 03-05-2012 at 14:11.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 18:01   #108
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Very well put Less, I would also like to add, that if we all gave over responding to their purile posts, they would soon leave. They are only doing to bait Accy Webbers into responding.
Retlaw.
this Accy Webber just ignores them Retlaw, not worth responding to, they'll get fed up talking to themselves, and hopefully sod off
Old 03-05-2012, 18:52   #109
Senior Member+

Why is it when they take over a thread (and you know who I mean without actually saying it) all the joy goes out of that thread and is replaced with nasty name calling and puerile arguments.

Could it be this is the reason we don't get as many people joining the site, perhaps we should rename the thread to " Which members frighten you and stop you joining the forum".

These people are on my ignore list so I don't see their rantings, I just see the reaction they provoke, and the regulars who stay away from the site.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this site, but not at the expense of others
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 20:20   #110
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
These people are on my ignore list so I don't see their rantings, I just see the reaction they provoke, and the regulars who stay away from the site. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this site, but not at the expense of others
Everyone is entitled to their opinion - but i don't see how someone's opinion can be at the expense of others or keep regulars away from the site. Do you really think that is happening? Has someone said they are staying away for this reason?

We can all start up threads about what interests us and talk about those subjects freely with others who are interested.

There has been a rash of exchange about drugs fom certain members which I did make a few comments about initially but then, because I have nothing useful to add on the subject, have given it a wide berth and I think that quite a few others have done the same to avoid getting into a spiral of useless comments and personal insults which was leading nowhere fast. Luckily there are plenty of other interesting subjects to talk about and fun things to laugh about and in any case they'll soon get fed-up of banging on about their own little "rebellions" sooner or later.

I have never used the ignore button - i 'd rather see someones opinion and then choose to ignore or disregard their comment afterwards...that's if I can be bothered to read some of it.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 20:30   #111
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Some of the 'visitors' are cyber robots trawling for potential spam sites.
I've often wondered about this statistic:

Most users ever online was 2,111 (02-03-2010 at 22:37).

Wonder what was special, if anything, about that date and time to bring so many out of the woodwork?
Old 03-05-2012, 20:37   #112
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post

Wonder what was special, if anything, about that date and time to bring so many out of the woodwork?
Think there was something "Big" politically going on at the time Sue.
Old 03-05-2012, 20:43   #113
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Think there was something "Big" politically going on at the time Sue.
Such as...?
Old 03-05-2012, 20:45   #114
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion - but i don't see how someone's opinion can be at the expense of others or keep regulars away from the site. Do you really think that is happening? Has someone said they are staying away for this reason?

We can all start up threads about what interests us and talk about those subjects freely with others who are interested.

There has been a rash of exchange about drugs fom certain members which I did make a few comments about initially but then, because I have nothing useful to add on the subject, have given it a wide berth and I think that quite a few others have done the same to avoid getting into a spiral of useless comments and personal insults which was leading nowhere fast. Luckily there are plenty of other interesting subjects to talk about and fun things to laugh about and in any case they'll soon get fed-up of banging on about their own little "rebellions" sooner or later.

I have never used the ignore button - i 'd rather see someones opinion and then choose to ignore or disregard their comment afterwards...that's if I can be bothered to read some of it.

Yes, I have not been here as much as I ordinarily would be.
I found the drug threads and the acrimony they provoked really tiresome........and I didn't want to read all that stuff. I did try to avoid it, but found comments relating to these threads seeping into totally unrelated subjects.
And to hear long term members who have been regular contributors called the 'three stooges'....in a way that is not only derogatory, but insulting too....well to put no fine point on it, it wasn't pleasant visiting the site...so I didn't.
I accept that folk are entitled to their opninions and rightly so, but I don't want to find those opinions ranted about in every other post.

And if that sounds petty it isn't meant to be. I just tell it like it appears to me...my own view.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 20:51   #115
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Such as...?
Think it was something about local bollictics, forced candidates, best candidates, out of date dates & general mud slinging.
Old 03-05-2012, 21:01   #116

Quote:

If memory serves correctly there were two times when we got visitors like that.
One was when we were hacked by some naughty Dutch hackers that put the site out of use for about 10 days while Roy repaired the corrupted files on the servers.
The other time when we had a massive software upgrade.

Both times caused a great deal of interest for the robotic spiders that come around gathering information.

They must have thought it was a new site and called up their mates to gather all the information and posts in the archives.
Old 03-05-2012, 21:11   #117
Resting In Peace

Quote:
If memory serves correctly there were two times when we got visitors like that.
One was when we were hacked by some naughty Dutch hackers that put the site out of use for about 10 days while Roy repaired the corrupted files on the servers.
The other time when we had a massive software upgrade.

Both times caused a great deal of interest for the robotic spiders that come around gathering information.

They must have thought it was a new site and called up their mates to gather all the information and posts in the archives.
Thanks for that Less.
Old 03-05-2012, 21:29   #118

Quote:
Thanks for that Less.
No problem, during the time the hackers put us off the web was the only time I'd agreed to be a temporary mod'.
Now you may think that while the site wasn't up & running would mean mods weren't needed, but Roy had set a small page up telling folk what had happened and within about three days another member had generously built a temporary AccyWeb, so things could still continue.

Last edited by Less; 03-05-2012 at 21:33.
Old 03-05-2012, 21:32   #119
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Why is it when they take over a thread (and you know who I mean without actually saying it) all the joy goes out of that thread and is replaced with nasty name calling and puerile arguments.

Could it be this is the reason we don't get as many people joining the site, perhaps we should rename the thread to " Which members frighten you and stop you joining the forum".

These people are on my ignore list so I don't see their rantings, I just see the reaction they provoke, and the regulars who stay away from the site.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this site, but not at the expense of others
I think it should be, that they are entitled to their opinions,
as long as they keep it to their selves.
They are just baiting people, for their own entertainment.
Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 03-05-2012 at 21:34.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 21:34   #120
Resting In Peace

Quote:
No problem, during the time the hackers put us off the web was the only time I'd agreed to be a temporary mod'.
Now you may think that while the site wasn't up & running would mean mods weren't needed, but Roy had set a small page up telling folk what had happened and within about three days another member had generously built a temporary AccyWeb, so things could still continue.
Just shows what great people use the site...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..