Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2015, 17:01   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Are some 'milking it'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Really? I thought it was common knowledge that milk is for calfs not really made for human consumption....my source is Beano or mind palace as I like to call it
Unless you're a baby cows milk is good for you.

You're not a baby, are you?
You don't have to answer that.

You're not linking to the Beano but you might as well be.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 11-08-2015 at 17:04.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-08-2015, 17:11   #17
Beacon of light

So humans should only consume milk produced by humans?
Yes there are theories that milk is not good for us, but humans have been drinking cows milk for centuries...and it was recommended to be given to school children for many years. To ensure they got a good source of protein and calcium.
This is another one of your diversionary tactics when a thread seems not to be getting the approval that you might have expected it to get....you throw some other aspect in to the mix.
Your initial question was 'are the farmers milking it?'........not, 'is milk detrimental to human health?'

I have very little dairy produce, but that is my personal choice, I think that if it were proven to have detrimental effects on everyone then it would probably not be sold.
Cows milk does not suit everyone, that is true, but many who do not tolerate cows milk will tolerate goats milk.
What about cheese and butter, and yoghurt?( horrible stuff)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 18:15   #18
Senior Member+

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 18:56   #19
Beacon of light

Quote:
That tactic doesn't work for me either Jason.
Old 11-08-2015, 23:03   #20
Senior Member+

There are no "tactics" M,Believe what you will it makes no odds to me.
All I'm saying is,In my eyes some are milking it...even the Royals are helping milk is dry:-
EU farming subsidies for the Royals must stay secret | Daily Mail Online

They've been moaning for years,why aren't they skint an why do they still do it?
Answer: Pay yourself a cracking wage and put it through the books as a cost and the business can even run at a loss but you can afford a nice new Range Rover and quad.....admit it,you rarely see farmer Giles without a new tractor.

password--Accyweb
Old 12-08-2015, 05:44   #21
Beacon of light

If that is truly what you see then so be it.
I know that it will make no never mind to you, but I know some farmers who cannot give up farming because they know nothing else. It is their life...it has been their life for generations.....they are not rich, they have no new tractor or Land Rover....but what they do have is debt.
If we treat those who provide a staple that is in most houses in the land so,poorly, then when they all see the light.....that there is more to life than working 24/7.....that tying their family into debt that can only be paid off if they sell off the land,property and beasts....leaving them with very little. When they do this there will be no home produced milk.....we will be left importing it and we most definitely will pay a higher price for it then.
I am asking you if that is what you would work your whole life for?
You believe all that stuff that
some of the media will tell you. Yes there are SOME farmers who are better off.....but to make such a sweeping generalisation is not just wrong. It is short sighted and foolish.
You start threads with contentious and misleading titles, throw some links from dubious sources into the mix and think that this is good for posting. You need to find a better balance for your threads.....and some of your posts too.
This will be my last post to this thread.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:33   #22
Senior Member+

I don't like the way supermarkets think they can monopolise the market anymore than you M and I also perish the thought of importing all our milk from abroad.
Like I've said, I would be willing to pay a little extra if it helped keep our British farmers afloat (pun intended).
Fact is,SOME farmers want a free market to sell their goods on except when it's inconvenient....sorry,but to me,that's not how things work and you say these farmers can't give it up because they no nothing else?...Even a foolish school leaver can earn around £10 a hr stacking shelves at night in the local supermarket surely farmer Giles can stack shelves?.....I don't want to see their lush green fields turned to muck and full of wind turbines either so I guess it's catch 22.

password--Accyweb
Old 12-08-2015, 07:49   #23
Senior Member+

If you don`t mind paying a little extra to help support the farmers -

Morrisons to create new milk brand to benefit farmers - BBC News
maxthecollie likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:43   #24
Senior Member+

Sadly,our peg does the shopping and if there is milk at say 90p and milk at £1.20 side by side,like most,she'll be going for the cheaper option.
Perhaps,supermarkets could take it on the chin,rather than charging us, just pay the farmers out of their profits?

password--Accyweb
Old 12-08-2015, 15:19   #25
God Member

many moons ago when dairy farmers sold their souls to the supermarket chains they didnt think of all the milk delivery men they were putting out of business that the supermarkets severely undercut

boohoo to them i like my milk cold and i like it cheap and as long as it stays cheap i couldnt give a stuff about dairy farmers

our government pays some farmers NOT to work their land so if government wants to help dairy farmers take money from them slackers not more money from the public

ill do my bit and drink more milk and they can do their bit and pull them udders faster
Studio25 likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 12-08-2015 at 15:21.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 21:56   #26
Senior Member+

Up to 5 years ago I lived in a rural community in France - my house was surrounded by fields of crops, corn, cabbage, cauliflower, apples, pears and various other things - told to help myself as they were paid not to harvest them, or pop along to the farm for free milk. Paid not to harvest them, or the milk, by the CAP. It was left to rot or went into the composter. They still had their protests - but of course they were French. CAP is just one of the corrupt products of the EU and all farmers benefit from it.
cashman likes this.
Old 12-08-2015, 22:22   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Which is all the more reason we should get outa the damn E.U.
accyman likes this.
Old 13-08-2015, 10:59   #28

Quote:
you rarely see farmer Giles without a new tractor.
I feel the need to say something in the defence of farmers. Living in the sticks I am surrounded by them and round here they do not have shiny new tractors. I was out and about yesterday, on my trip I saw 5 tractors, one was bright shiny and new but was owned by a contractor not a farmer. Of the other four, three had all been 'tound the clock' more than once and had registration plates of the form 3 letters + 3 numbers which gives some indication of their age. The final one was about 10 years old.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 11:34   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Walker View Post
I feel the need to say something in the defence of farmers. Living in the sticks I am surrounded by them and round here they do not have shiny new tractors. I was out and about yesterday, on my trip I saw 5 tractors, one was bright shiny and new but was owned by a contractor not a farmer. Of the other four, three had all been 'tound the clock' more than once and had registration plates of the form 3 letters + 3 numbers which gives some indication of their age. The final one was about 10 years old.
there are some tight fisted farmers as well

scruffy , tatty and thrifty dosnt always mean poor

im sure some farmers do struggle but when it comes to dairy farmers i have no sympathy because they led themselves to this situation through bad contract negotiating and self destructing their own customer base by doing exclusive deals with supermarkets

Wasnt any tears when supermarkets were giving them decent money but once supermarkets knew no one else was left to buy their milk the supermarkets played hardball and that is good business sense on the supermarkets side and for us the customer

if they are really that unhappy instead of filling a few trollys with milk and abandoning them at teh checkouts why dont they learn a few tricks from the french because french farmers get things done when they get upset and it dosnt take much to upset a french farmer
Accyexplorer likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 13-08-2015 at 11:41.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 16:21   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

if they are really that unhappy instead of filling a few trollys with milk and abandoning them at teh checkouts why dont they learn a few tricks from the french because french farmers get things done when they get upset and it dosnt take much to upset a french farmer
Five or six years ago the French farmers got annoyed at the supermarkets over the price of milk - Sunday morning (when the supermarkets were still closed), they took their tractors into the car parks and flattened every trolley park with the trolleys still inside them. Didn't change the price of milk though.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..