Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-10-2008, 14:13   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Are You Trick-or-Treating or Not?

Ty wanted to go trick or treating but ive said no.. we have a big bag of sweeties and he can wear his costume and scare the ones that come to us instead.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-10-2008, 14:51   #17
Passed away 25-11-09

You're missing the point I made, which is that here local children go out in fancy dress, in 2 or 3 organised groups, accompanied by parents and only go to neighbours who they know. Nor do we have the threat of eggs being thrown as most of the 4 year olds would just shuffle away, a bit confused, if they were told to "trick". I'm not talking about loutish older children using it as an excuse to be even more unspeakable than usual or parents who let their children roam around in the dark unaccompanied.
Old 31-10-2008, 15:36   #18
God Member

Like AIDS, MacDonalds and the grey squirrel, this is another American interloper that once here, appears impossible to be rid of. However, 'Trick or Treat' is no more than a criminal offence under British law - it is called blackmail. The problem, of course, is that the perpetrators of these diabolical acts are mostly under the age of criminal consent and the cops, as usual, claim to be too busy to respond.

The private citizen should therefore use alternative methods to protect his property. Last year on this date, I borrowed a neighbour's Rottweiler for the evening. Unfortunatly, he turned out be far too friendly and instead of chasing the little brats down the street, ended up cudding up to them.

This year, therefore, I have obtained a pair of Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Truly, these are monsterous dogs and all the more nasty given they have not been fed for 5 days. I can't wait for the fun to begin when those little angels, having banged on my door, first stare into the gaping, slovering jaws of the hounds from hell.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 15:39   #19
Senior Member+

you are really not funny tealeaf.....

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 15:40   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
you are really not funny tealeaf.....
Oh dear. Neither are the dogs.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 15:42   #21
God Member

I've just texted both my mum and mother in law just to see if they would be in later for two little trick or treaters and they're the only ones we'll be going to.

I don't like the whole palaver of trick or treat but on the other hand I don't want my two to think I'm a party pooper by denying them of it.

So we do a compromise - I get pumpkins and we do that as a shared activity - I buy a few sweets for if people come around - I let my two knock on their grandmas doors and no where else - I have bought a few cakes that have monsters on.

So we do it but not in a big way.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 16:07   #22
God Member

It is bad practice to make fun of, or insult any religion.
The people who practice Wicca may be offended by your visit.

Many Wiccans choose to keep their religious beliefs secret because of the history of persecution, so you may not even know that you have offended.

.....you may or may not suffer some misfortune soon after

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 16:28   #23
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Re: Are You Trick-or-Treating or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Like AIDS, MacDonalds and the grey squirrel, this is another American interloper that once here, appears impossible to be rid of. However, 'Trick or Treat' is no more than a criminal offence under British law - it is called blackmail. The problem, of course, is that the perpetrators of these diabolical acts are mostly under the age of criminal consent and the cops, as usual, claim to be too busy to respond.

The private citizen should therefore use alternative methods to protect his property. Last year on this date, I borrowed a neighbour's Rottweiler for the evening. Unfortunatly, he turned out be far too friendly and instead of chasing the little brats down the street, ended up cudding up to them.

This year, therefore, I have obtained a pair of Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Truly, these are monsterous dogs and all the more nasty given they have not been fed for 5 days. I can't wait for the fun to begin when those little angels, having banged on my door, first stare into the gaping, slovering jaws of the hounds from hell.
AIDS? I thought that came from Africa.

Don’t forget chewing gum and bubble gum.
Old 31-10-2008, 17:01   #24

Nope, too old for it now, it's crap anyway. Much rather go to a bonfire tomorrow instead and have some black peas
Old 31-10-2008, 17:10   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
You're missing the point I made, which is that here local children go out in fancy dress, in 2 or 3 organised groups, accompanied by parents and only go to neighbours who they know. Nor do we have the threat of eggs being thrown as most of the 4 year olds would just shuffle away, a bit confused, if they were told to "trick". I'm not talking about loutish older children using it as an excuse to be even more unspeakable than usual or parents who let their children roam around in the dark unaccompanied.
Accompanied by parents West Ender, not round this neck of the woods they're not, they annoy you all on their own
Old 31-10-2008, 17:14   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybrown_10 View Post
Nope, too old for it now, it's crap anyway. Much rather go to a bonfire tomorrow instead and have some black peas
Your to old now andy and your off for black pas at the bonfire, ain't heard of black peas since Adam was a lad
Old 31-10-2008, 17:17   #27
Resting in Peace

Even children going around in accompanied groups gives some sort of endorsement to children on their own to carry out this practice.

Sure lots of neighbours will be expecting you Westender, but they will have to open the door to all knocks including the lone wanderers. Have a good night even so, at least the weather doesn't appear too bad.

Just heard the Trick or Treaters are supposed to be some sort of Fairies of Solace collecting food for their survival ... if you gave was a good thing, if not you are in for a hard winter ... hummph .. in for that anyway ...

Blackening your house is supposed to keep the evil spirits away .. anyone any black paint ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 17:43   #28
Passed away 25-11-09

Oh I won't be going around, I'll be here dishing out the lollipops. It's pretty well known which neighbours don't want to be disturbed so the kids don't go there. And, honestly, we don't seem to get the solitary ones these days.
Old 31-10-2008, 17:53   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Oh I won't be going around, I'll be here dishing out the lollipops. It's pretty well known which neighbours don't want to be disturbed so the kids don't go there. And, honestly, we don't seem to get the solitary ones these days.
Sounds like you live in a smaller/congenial community, something to be envied.

Well, my bell hasn't rung yet .. going to have a shower anyway, so won't be available to answer for a while ... don't think I would anyway, have nothing to give them.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 18:24   #30
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Sounds like you live in a smaller/congenial community, something to be envied.

Well, my bell hasn't rung yet .. going to have a shower anyway, so won't be available to answer for a while ... don't think I would anyway, have nothing to give them.

Lymm's a large village which has expanded vastly in the last 10 - 15 years but still manages to hang on to a vestige of village-type life, on the whole. It's pretty quiet here, that's why we've stayed.

Hope you don't get too many disturbances.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..