Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2009, 09:47   #1
Resting in Peace

Are your kids scared

It appears that the BBC have received complaints from some parents that a new presenter on CBBs is scaring their kids. Some parents have contacted the BBC saying that Cerrie Burnell should be removed from the CBBs kids show because she was born with one arm, which is missing just above the elbow, saying that it's frightening their kids. Well to me would this be an ideal time for these parents to teach thier kids about disabilities and not attack this young lass who because of her disability has probably had to work twice as hard as others to get where she is. In fact she should be applauded for her efforts and not castigated by a few incentive people, I always seem to say there but for the grace of god go I.
Old 24-02-2009, 09:51   #2
God Member

Re: Are your kids scared

I don't get how it would scare the kids... they would ask a question about it... you would answer it
Simple.. end of
Old 24-02-2009, 09:52   #3
Senior Member+

i saw this yesterday, bloomin ridiculous, like she shouldnt be on telly cos she isnt 'perfect'......... kids dont care about disability unless the parents make them by pointing it out and saying the wrong things.... ty is too old for cbeebies now but it wouldnt bother either of us

i agree that it would be a good opportunity for parents to speak about differences in people

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 09:57   #4
God Member

i have seen this woman on cbeebies several times whilst watching it with Katie....Katie wasnt scared at all, infact she didnt even comment on her arms, and thats coming from a nearly 3 year old
Old 24-02-2009, 10:15   #5
Senior Member+

ive seen her many times, as have the twins and no question has been asked, my friends little un hasnt asked anything either and he's 4. There should be no issue in this person working in childrens tv, it shows the child what can and does happen and then they will grow up accepting it.
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 11:26   #6
God Member

when Reece was about 7 we used to have a man who lived on the next street with a hook for a hand...one day Reece asked me what was wrong with his hand and why did he have a hook, having known this man for a few years i told Reece to ask him why when he saw him again.....so he did, Dave(the man) then proceeded to tell Reece that he had had an accident at work and his hand had been caught up in the machinary, and thats what happens when you dont do well at school(you end up working in a factory)

Dave then said it was really good that Reece had asked him about it rather than just pointing his finger and looking on in disgust

i think if you dont explain things to children properly and get them to ask questions about things, thats where the problems begin

curious kids need educating properly
Old 24-02-2009, 12:02   #7
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device

Errrr this is the channel that hosts "something special" where they particularly focus on disabled kids.

Do the parents who are complaining switch over when it comes on? Do they cross over when they see a disabled person coming the other way? I think you will find the only people bothered or even making a judgement are the parents in those fam ilies.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 13:04   #8
God Member

surely kids can clearly see shes armless enough and that theres no need to be scared of her....

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 13:11   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

Errrr this is the channel that hosts "something special" where they particularly focus on disabled kids.

Do the parents who are complaining switch over when it comes on? Do they cross over when they see a disabled person coming the other way? I think you will find the only people bothered or even making a judgement are the parents in those fam ilies.
My 2 are watching that at the mo, they love it, they stop playing when it comes on and watch it, they copy the songs and the signing, they dont seem to have a problem with the people and children that are "different" and when the question arrises as to whats wrong or why they are like that i will try and explain it best that i can but know that it isnt something that scares them, its just curiosity and wasnting to know why they are different to them, same as why boys and girls are different, its just a case of explaining to them when the question is put to you. Think there is something wrong if it scares them
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 13:20   #10
God Member

Its always on in our house , I`ve not noticed her disability to be honest and the kids have`nt mentioned anything.............
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 14:14   #11
Give, give, give member

Children are the most accepting people on earth. They aren't born prejudiced, that's something that's aquired throughout life.

I think the problem is with the pathetic parent's who've made complaints.

Children are naturally curious, with no social tact in place yet, and do ask sometimes blunt questions when something is out of the ordinary. Most good parents will simply explain why someone is 'different', and most times that is their curiosity satisfied.

I hope and trust the B.B.C. will ignore these complaints.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 14:18   #12
Give, give, give member

I think the thing that most people, of all ages, would find most notable is that's she's beautiful, with an open face and a great smile.

Old 24-02-2009, 14:21   #13
Resting in Peace

If these parents who say their kids are scared because of the ladies disability....
Then I would question how they are in fact bring up their kids...
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 14:22   #14
Give, give, give member

'But a minority of parents expressed concern that Ms Burnell's appearance was "scaring" children. One father said he feared it would give his daughter nightmares and a mother said her two-year-old girl could not watch because she thought the presenter had been hurt.'

BBC NEWS | Magazine | How do you explain a missing hand to a child?

It's some people's lack of good parenting skills that frankly I find most scary.

Old 24-02-2009, 14:36   #15
God Member

I`ve just asked my eldest and shown her the picture....her reply was a casual`oh yeah, i`ve seen her, she`s on CBEEBIES, i think she had an accident when she was young`..........and carried on what she was doing... its obviously a minority who it really bothers.
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..