Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 16:21   #31
Resident Waffler

Re: Artificial Nails

Who did your at Angela Kays jellybaby? The staff has changed since Angela had her baby. Do you have gel or acrylic?

I once had mine done at Pasha and - never again! They were like spades.

The best I've ever had done was in Lancaster.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-10-2007, 16:57   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
As far as I know, you can keep them on but not have coloured polish on them, the polish must be clear for an op or it will be removed by the nursing staff with Acetone. A word of caution though...... microbiologists have taken swabs from underneath acrylic and gel nails. The swabs grow so many bugs that it is unbelievable (far more than under natural nails for some reason), you would never eat finger food with them again if you'd seen these swab results....
On that point, it amazed me how many girls I worked with that had there nails done!! We work in a care setting, and when they had had them on for more than a week, you could see how dirty they were underneath This cannot be very healthy or hygienic , and I'm sorry but ALL nurses and health care workers should be told they are NOT allowed Acrylic or gel nails on!

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 17:02   #33
Resident Waffler

Do you mean they get dirt between the gel and their own nail? How does that happen when the gel is bonded to the nail? Is it just a bad nail job? I know when I've damaged my nails and the gel has lifted I have had times when I got muck in the gap between. That really bugs me. Mostly though it just doesn't get between my nail and mu finger when they are long.

Old 12-10-2007, 17:09   #34
mez
God Member

when i was in catering, it was sacralidge (sp) to have longish nails so had to keep them very short for years, think thats why i had false ones done, now im back to trying to grow my own.
Old 12-10-2007, 17:11   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Do you mean they get dirt between the gel and their own nail? How does that happen when the gel is bonded to the nail? Is it just a bad nail job? I know when I've damaged my nails and the gel has lifted I have had times when I got muck in the gap between. That really bugs me. Mostly though it just doesn't get between my nail and mu finger when they are long.
Well these girls go to pasha, and believe me there nails are disgusting after a week!! I wouldn't do health care work with my nails that long to start off with, god knows what are caught under these nails

Miracles do happen!!

Old 12-10-2007, 17:26   #36
Resident Waffler

Hmmm, I went to Pasha once and they were grim. They gel lifted from my nails and muck did get trapped. I couldn't even shift it with a nail brush and it was horrible.

Old 12-10-2007, 17:31   #37
God Member

Quote:
Hmmm, I went to Pasha once and they were grim. They gel lifted from my nails and muck did get trapped. I couldn't even shift it with a nail brush and it was horrible.
Well personally I don't know a good job between a bad job, luckily my nails are good, and grow on there own!!

But honest, these girls nails are MINGIN ... and they should be stopped from having them done if they work closely with poorly people!!

it only takes 1 little piece of POO to get stuck under them nails, then they go to another Client, and accidentally scratch them and break the skin, and you have a full blown infection on your hands!! easily done!

Miracles do happen!!

Old 12-10-2007, 17:43   #38
Resident Waffler

OOOH yuck! No, if mine were apt to getting stuff stuck under like that then off they would be PDQ.

Old 12-10-2007, 17:46   #39
God Member

Quote:
OOOH yuck! No, if mine were apt to getting stuff stuck under like that then off they would be PDQ.
My point exactly Willow, so why are Bosses not taking any notice of this potential cross infection going on in nursing homes and hospitals?? The mind boggles

Miracles do happen!!

Old 12-10-2007, 17:54   #40
Resident Waffler

Yes I totally agree Slinky. It sounds like an obvious way to spread infection.

Until I was expecting Emzie my own nails were strong and used to grow very quickly but during my pregnancy and afterwards they became very weak and would split and dirt get down between the splits. That drove me up the wall. One nail is particularly weak because I severed my finger years ago and the blood supply doesn't get to the nail bed properly. The nail grows oddly but it's difficult to describe. I haven't had those problems since having the gel overlays which is why they seem cleaner to me because nothing gets stuck as there isn't anywhere for it to get stuck.

Old 12-10-2007, 20:16   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
On that point, it amazed me how many girls I worked with that had there nails done!! We work in a care setting, and when they had had them on for more than a week, you could see how dirty they were underneath This cannot be very healthy or hygienic , and I'm sorry but ALL nurses and health care workers should be told they are NOT allowed Acrylic or gel nails on!
I agree with you, Slinky. Healthcare workers should be forbidden to have false nails.
Old 16-10-2007, 17:21   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post

it only takes 1 little piece of POO to get stuck under them nails, then they go to another Client, and accidentally scratch them and break the skin, and you have a full blown infection on your hands!! easily done!
Like Willow said the nail should be bonded. Before going to the works i had someone else doing them and after the gel came seperated from the nail i swopped places. But getting back to slinkys post, i always double glove when doing personal care.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 17:39   #43
Resident Waffler

I may try The Works next time if I'm not too happy. Must admit mine haven't been as good as they used to be.

Old 19-10-2007, 09:27   #44

Quote:
Who did your at Angela Kays jellybaby? The staff has changed since Angela had her baby. Do you have gel or acrylic?

I once had mine done at Pasha and - never again! They were like spades.

The best I've ever had done was in Lancaster.

Sorry for the delay in replying, haven't had time to log on for ages!
I prefer acrylics to gel.
I had them done about 4 months ago at Angela Kays,by a girl called Hayley.
When I went to where I now go, they couldn't believe the state of them.
They were horrible, very thick and too wide for my fingers!
I'm happy with the way they are done now.

PS
When I'm ready for a new set, I soak them off myself, a bottle of acetone is only a couple of quid from the chemist.

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 17:56   #45
Resting in Peace

Irrespective of the fact that artificial nails hold more bacteria .. I don't think they look good anyway. Sorry, girls, just an opinion. Think better paying for a professional manicure (not that I do like )
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..