Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-11-2007, 18:20   #16
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Baby Names?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
What is the first?

I think it's Jack.
Accrington Web
Old 30-11-2007, 21:01   #17
God Member

Thought the chav names were funny, didn't think the teacher chav names were all that chavvy, my two weren't on the list, Ellie and Robert.
Old 30-11-2007, 21:12   #18
Senior Member+

my son is called carl after his dad, coudnt be bothered complicating my life and i wanted him to have his dads name 1st and my brothers name second
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 21:12   #19
Senior Member+

my sons name is on the chav teachers list!!!!!!!!!! i am not impressed,

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 21:18   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23
my sons name is on the chav teachers list!!!!!!!!!! i am not impressed,
Shouldn't have (or of, as they say on Accyweb ) called him a stupid chav name. That'll teach you. I'm with the teachers.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 21:22   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Shouldn't have (or of, as they say on Accyweb ) called him a stupid chav name. That'll teach you. I'm with the teachers.
I certainly think there is some truth in what the teachers said.
Old 30-11-2007, 21:23   #22
Senior Member+

hmph.... i havent heard of this and i really do think it is wrong to judge children based on your own opinion of their name (professionally and as a mother)... every child is unique and a name is just a name and means nothing!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 30-11-2007, 21:33   #23
God Member

Chavs call their kids 'normal' names as well, so its unfair to label a name chavvy just because a child in their class with that particular name acts like one.

Matt, Ste, James, Jordan..... all normal common names yet I think everybody probably had a difficult, disruptive, annoying brat in their class at school who would have been labelled a chav if they where at school today rather than 20yrs or so ago.

Girls names tend to be labelled chavvy rather than boys I think, chardonnay and all that marlarky, but people with odd, crap sounding names can end up being completely normal and respectful too! Lets not stigmatise them and make it inevitable that they end up being chavs. If we dont label them they will have more of a chance of ending up nice and un-chavved.

Lol.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 21:34   #24
Senior Member+

its called a self fulfilling prophecy... you label them as something that they are not and they end up turning into that because of the label given

Last edited by emamum; 30-11-2007 at 21:34. Reason: cant spell today lol
Old 30-11-2007, 21:35   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
hmph.... i havent heard of this and i really do think it is wrong to judge children based on your own opinion of their name (professionally and as a mother)... every child is unique and a name is just a name and means nothing!
I'm with you on this Em, you can't judge a child by their name. Maybe the reason the teachers feel they are right is their dislike of a child simply because of their name is communicated to the children. Kids are not stupid they pick up on bad feeling very quickly. There was one name on the list that struck a chord as I know a child with that name
Old 30-11-2007, 21:41   #26
God Member

I think the way the teachers' comments were meant to be interpreted was not that all Courtneys are chavs but that chavs/dobbers do tend to favour certain names. There will always be exceptions but very often they do.

If you meet someone with a made up name e.g Honey-Bee or Tyoni then they are likely to be (not certain to be) chavs.

The same goes for traditional names spelt differently e.g Kelsi, Sherri, Clowie. Hyphenated names such as Bobbi-Jo also send out a similar message. Sad but true.

Last edited by Lilly; 30-11-2007 at 21:44. Reason: Typo!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 21:43   #27
God Member

Quote:
its called a self fulfilling prophecy... you label them as something that they are not and they end up turning into that because of the label given

Obviously, as teaching staff, if you did harbour these opinions you would not share them with the child so they would not be labelled.
Old 30-11-2007, 21:43   #28
Senior Member+

my name is hyphonated... it was something that parents did 20 odd years ago... i know three other ppl with the exact same name as me.. i chose my sons name before it was popular and i chose it because it i liked it and i still do....

Old 30-11-2007, 21:44   #29
Senior Member+

as teaching staff you shouldnt have these stereo typical views any way....

Old 30-11-2007, 21:46   #30
God Member

Quote:
as teaching staff you shouldnt have these stereo typical views any way....

I assume that these opinions are formed from experience.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..