Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014, 20:36   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Beards & Barbers?

Was it not the barber Taddy? The hospitals had a barber who did that sort of thing.
Male nurses were a rare breed in anything but psychiatry and learning disabilities at that time.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-05-2014, 22:44   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I thowt I were ugly but thas beat me agaun.
Finally, I get the recognition I deserve.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:55   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
I once had a male nurse, Waring, I think he was called, come up to my bed in Accy Victoria in 1968; on his trolley was a bowl of soapy water, a towel and a cutthroat razor.

"As you are due to have an operation today Mr -------- I have to shave you below the waist", he informed me.

With a cutthroat ? I almost screamed, please be careful, I've only been married a few months. forty six years and three children later, I'm glad to say that everything turned out alright, (Phew) but I was more than a little worried at the time.
That must have been one of his other jobs Taddy. His main job was putting and removing plaster on broken limbs. Did he have his welibobs and rubber apron on when he operated on you
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:12   #19
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Was it not the barber Taddy? The hospitals had a barber who did that sort of thing.
I do hope he had separate razors!
Old 06-05-2014, 08:59   #20
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
That must have been one of his other jobs Taddy. His main job was putting and removing plaster on broken limbs. Did he have his welibobs and rubber apron on when he operated on you
I'd heard he was a Rabbi in his spare time, always keen to take a short-cut in his search for converts.

It might have been Eric.
Eric and Aussie Irene like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 19:06   #21

Quote:
Male nurses were a rare breed in anything but psychiatry and learning disabilities at that time.
No Margaret, I used to know the barber at the time, I forget his name but he lived in Huncoat.

I have a pint or two (or more) with a bloke who used to be the (Chef ?) at Accy Hospital at the time I am refering too, it was he who came up with the name Waring and he too thought that he was a male nurse or could have been known as an orderly.

Anyway things turned out ok and I did not end up being able to pass as an Israeli citizen.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 19:12   #22

Quote:
Being a lifelong angler Irene I am rather into the rubber scene, I love nothing better than to put on my rubber waders and to stand in the middle of a river dangling my tackle in the water.
Eric likes this.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:32   #23
Full Member+

Quote:
I wonder if that was the same chap who 'potted up' my arm when I fell off my roller skates? It would have been about 71/72. I remember the terror I felt seeing the giant clippers used to take the plaster off. I got to take the pot home as a memento.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:19   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I'd heard he was a Rabbi in his spare time, always keen to take a short-cut in his search for converts.

It might have been Eric.
But where's the mad trapper hat to give the total surround hairy look.?
Old 08-05-2014, 12:34   #25
God Member

Quote:
Being a lifelong angler Irene I am rather into the rubber scene, I love nothing better than to put on my rubber waders and to stand in the middle of a river dangling my tackle in the water.
Watch out for the muskies when you're dangling your tackle. Great muskie fishing around here by the way. If you are a fisherman, you would love it here. Great muskie fishing. And now that I've passed 65 years, I can fish without a licence anywhere in Ontario And remember, give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man how to fish, and he will sit out in a boat all day drinking beer.

Old 08-05-2014, 20:36   #26

Thanks for the advice Eric, By the way lovely Muskie,am I right in thinking they are also known as Northern Pike ?
Old 09-05-2014, 15:12   #27
God Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice Eric, By the way lovely Muskie,am I right in thinking they are also known as Northern Pike ?
Same family ... but they are relatively rare, whereas Northerns are common, especially in northern lakes which are not fished all that often. Pike are good sport fish, but not good eating. They are vicious, and tenacious cannibals: but, ironically, they move around in large schools. I love fishing ... even when I'm catching nothing, I sit and stroke my beard (gotta keep on topic) and enjoy the day. As a fisherman, you would love it over here. Yanks pay thousands of dollars to come here and fish, particularly in our north, where many fishing camps are fly in only.
Stevie R and Accyexplorer like this.
Old 09-05-2014, 15:29   #28
Senior Member+

I've known a couple of folk that catch pike for their camp fire (nothing like the size of that monster in your pic).
They say "pike are lovely" ,personally I haven't and wouldn't eat one .
I really enjoy catching them though ,sometime they "tail walk" and their a strong fish that don't give up easy.
I've had plenty of "jacks" on the canal while spinning for perch (which are also allegedly a "good eat").I wouldn't like to get a spinner caught in my beard
Pike are allegedly a "forgotten feast"
HUNTER-GATHERING: wild & fresh food: Eating Pike: A Forgotten Feast?

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 09-05-2014 at 15:34.
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 19:04   #29

Normans Whalley road Clayton been going 40 odd years
esteemedjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 19:29   #30

Quote:
Margaret, I owe you a sincere apology,today I had a pint or two (at least) with the x chef at Accy Vic, (mentioned in an earlier post) and yes you were nearly right; the bloke that I classed as a male nurse was in fact a chap called Albert Waring,

As Aussie Irene mentioned, he was also the chap who did the plaster casts. so he must have been a general orderly come dogsbody or whatever.(no insult intended )

The casualty doctor at the time name of Armstong drove an old Rolls Royce,
superb doctor, registrar, (whatever he was known as) but absolutely no bedside manner.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..