Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2013, 21:31   #16
Junior Member+

Re: Black lead fireside range (please help)

It was the coal and Iron Age of eighteenth and nineteenth century Britton, there would have been soot in the air pretty much all the time.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-01-2013, 21:38   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
It was the coal and Iron Age of eighteenth and nineteenth century Britton, there would have been soot in the air pretty much all the time.
Hang on, Jethro, I'm old but not that old!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 21:59   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Hang on, Jethro, I'm old but not that old!
You are two years older than me, yet I recall the soot smuts being wiped off my face using mum's spit on a hankie.

Where were you when we had the smog?
Maybe you had a silver spoon country house upbringing in the leafy southern shires

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 22:26   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
You are two years older than me, yet I recall the soot smuts being wiped off my face using mum's spit on a hankie.

Where were you when we had the smog?
Maybe you had a silver spoon country house upbringing in the leafy southern shires
Jethro mentioned ' the coal and iron age of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries'.
Even you and I don't go back that far!
There weren't many leafs in Steiner Street but we probably had nickel plated spoons.
Old 20-01-2013, 22:31   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Would your auntie be using peat, cashman? Probably not as smoky as the rubbishy house coal we would be using. Remember 'nutty slack'?
Not as i recall Gordon was coal i used to fill the scuttle fer her.
Old 22-01-2013, 00:36   #21

Back in the 1940-60s my mum used to cook on a fireside range, nothing wrong with the taste. Her oven had the fire directly open and under the chimney, if she wanted to heat up water she put the pan/kettle onto a platform that swung out from the oven and over the fire.

She also put salt into a pan of water which she said got rid of the soot. Another way was to light a lot of paper which was drawn up the chimney which also cleaned it.
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 16:05   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith higson View Post
Back in the 1940-60s my mum used to cook on a fireside range, nothing wrong with the taste. Her oven had the fire directly open and under the chimney, if she wanted to heat up water she put the pan/kettle onto a platform that swung out from the oven and over the fire.

She also put salt into a pan of water which she said got rid of the soot. Another way was to light a lot of paper which was drawn up the chimney which also cleaned it.
Back in the late '40s and early '50s we had one in a house on Queen St., Clayton ... never took much note of it ... it was normal for the time. I do remember having baths in the old galvanized tub in front of that fire ... and making toast with the toasting fork ... also used to throw spuds on the fire till the skins were black ... then peeling off the skin and putting some salt and a little marg on them (if we were lucky). I used to think it was a treat ... wasn't till later I found out that this was the last food in the house until my dad's next pay packet.

There seemed to come a time when folks started to junk these monsters and replace them with ugly, modern, tiled things ... sometimes with a back boiler. I remember seeing a whole pile of the old fireplaces down in Basil Brierly's junk yard off Lower Barnes St. He even had a bunch of them on his allotment back of Rishton Rd. where he kept his pigs and stabled his horse.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 16:50   #23
Senior Member+

I remember chimneys setting on fire. I think the soot may have had a lot of tar in it, once they got going you could here a gentle roar-and the big lumps of glowing soot dropping down into the fireplace and the room.
The smoke outside was horrific.
I remember fire engines coming to put them out- heaven knows what the mess was like in the house when they'd poured water down the chimneys!
As Keith says, some people used to set them on fire regularly to burn off the built up soot before it got too bad.
Old 23-01-2013, 00:44   #24
Senior Member+

I remember when we moved to Lonsdale St in '49 that the chimney sweep came and swept the chimney a couple of days after we moved in.
They were still sweeping chimneys in RAF Married Quarters in '65/66 and probably later as the first quarter we got with central heating was '71
Old 23-01-2013, 12:44   #25
I am Banned

Quote:
I remember chimneys setting on fire. I think the soot may have had a lot of tar in it, once they got going you could here a gentle roar-and the big lumps of glowing soot dropping down into the fireplace and the room.
The smoke outside was horrific.
I remember fire engines coming to put them out- heaven knows what the mess was like in the house when they'd poured water down the chimneys!
As Keith says, some people used to set them on fire regularly to burn off the built up soot before it got too bad.
We didn't just pour water down the chimney, we had an attachement that fit on the end of chimney rods, that gave a very fine alround spray, most of that turned to steam which inturn affected the burning soot higher up the chimney, we didn't leave a mess.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 14:48   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Not as i recall Gordon was coal i used to fill the scuttle fer her.
Maybe he's thinking of the stuff we used to bank the fire at night, so that it would (might) still be smouldering in the morning, when you could put on a few pieces of coal, stick the blower on, and get the fire going again?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 16:31   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
We didn't just pour water down the chimney, we had an attachement that fit on the end of chimney rods, that gave a very fine alround spray, most of that turned to steam which inturn affected the burning soot higher up the chimney, we didn't leave a mess.
That's a relief, Retlaw. I always pictured that powerfull hosepipe pushed in the chimney and the results in the room below!
Old 23-01-2013, 17:05   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Maybe he's thinking of the stuff we used to bank the fire at night, so that it would (might) still be smouldering in the morning, when you could put on a few pieces of coal, stick the blower on, and get the fire going again?
That would be "Slack" wrapped in newspaper?
Old 23-01-2013, 17:47   #29
Beacon of light

Yes...I remember that and in the morning it was set like a crust.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 18:00   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
That would be "Slack" wrapped in newspaper?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes...I remember that and in the morning it was set like a crust.
The coal man tipped some 'nutty slack' down one side of the 'coil hoyle' and proper coal on the other side so you could pick. Shovel full at night, as you say, break it up in the morning and put some coal on.
Didn't the nutty make a lot of ash, as most of it didn't burn? Fun taking the ashpan out to the bin in the morning if it was windy!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..