Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-01-2013, 15:17   #46
Resting In Peace

Re: Black lead fireside range (please help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Right ... next, we will be hearing about fridges and electric blankets And hot water that came out of a tap!!!!!!!!!!
OK I'll start - never had an electric blanket - too scared at the thought! Fridges, very late on the scene. Hot water, certainly not at Owen Street, probably at Queens Road - think we had an immersion heater... Don't know how we heated the bath water at Owen Street - can't remember having that many baths...
Old 24-01-2013, 16:33   #47
Senior Member+

Gas geysers over the kitchen sink were very popular if you didn't have running hot water.
You can still get electric ones,it's all right having a combi boiler if it's near the taps, if not the tap runs for ages before it gets hot.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 16:34   #48
Senior Member+

Gas geysers over the kitchen sink were very popular if you didn't have running hot water.
You can still get electric ones,it's all right having a combi boiler if it's near the taps, if not the tap runs for ages before it gets hot.
Old 24-01-2013, 17:03   #49
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
You've jogged my memory Gordon, think at Owen Street we must have had one over the kitchen sink and one for the bath. Don't know about the bathroom basin though!

Know what you mean about combi boilers - you can wait a long time for that hot water!
Old 24-01-2013, 18:45   #50
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Oh deary me ! Listening to you old fogies goin' on .................. eeh us young uns don't know we're born.

Old 24-01-2013, 18:59   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Jeez seems them Yorkshire folk had it real cushy.
Eric likes this.
Old 24-01-2013, 19:06   #52
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Oh deary me ! Listening to you old fogies goin' on .................. eeh us young uns don't know we're born.
It wasn't all bad, DiG. Sitting in a tin bath in front of the fire in the kitchen(we didn't have a scullery)was lovely- although I must admit once you were 15 it did get a bit embarrassing!
And of course by then your cousin was too big to fit in with you so one of you got a luke warm bath..
Old 24-01-2013, 19:27   #53
Senior Member+

I once sat in that bath 15 hours waiting for my mother and her friends to finish the gin and leave the kitchen. By then all the water had leaked out of the hole in the bottom, the fire had gone out and it was time to get up for school.
Ah, the good old days!
Old 24-01-2013, 19:32   #54
God Member

In June I stopped using gas appliances when I added natural gas to my list of chemical sensitivities.

I gave away my gas cooker, switched off my combi boiler, and bought electric heaters

I overcome the lack of hot water from taps by using the electric shower head to fill the handbasin, and I have a dishwasher. If I need hot water for cleaning purposes I can fill a bucket from the shower or boil a kettle.

Central heating is not essential for survival.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 21:17   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Jeez seems them Yorkshire folk had it real cushy.
That's how I interpreted it too ... they'd no idea what it was to mek do; and they wouldn't recognize a day's work if one ran up and bit them on the ass
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 21:24   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
In June I stopped using gas appliances when I added natural gas to my list of chemical sensitivities.

I gave away my gas cooker, switched off my combi boiler, and bought electric heaters

I overcome the lack of hot water from taps by using the electric shower head to fill the handbasin, and I have a dishwasher. If I need hot water for cleaning purposes I can fill a bucket from the shower or boil a kettle.

Central heating is not essential for survival.
You should get yourself a water cooled Vickers machine gun ... keep away unwanted guests and Jehova's Witnesses, and you'll have lots of hot water for tea.
Old 24-01-2013, 22:01   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post

As it says on the back of my second fav t-shirt when I'm riding: "Old Farts Rule" (My favorite is still: "If You Can Read This, the Bitch Fell Off.")
susie123 and Stevie R like this.
Old 25-01-2013, 13:22   #58
Senior Member+

Quote:
Sitting in a tin bath in front of the fire was lovely- although I must admit once you were 15 it did get a bit embarrassing!
And of course by then your cousin was too big to fit in with you got a luke warm bath..
Quote:
I once sat in that bath 15 hours waiting for my mother and her friends to finish the gin and leave the kitchen. By then all the water had leaked out of the hole in the bottom,
I exaggerate. All right, I lie. The bath didn't leak and my mother didn't drink gin. You can't out-imagine 'The Four Yorkshiremen' however you try.

I do remember sharing the tin bath with my cousin when he stayed with us during the war. When my aunt got married (thankfully long before I was 15) she had a lovely bathroom so we were regular visitors. In the early 50's my father managed to squeeze a tiny bathroom in by pinching space off the bedrooms- what luxury, how posh.
They weren't hard times, DiG, it was just the way things were.
Nowadays if you haven't got a couple of en-suites you're roughing it!
Old 26-01-2013, 16:35   #59
Senior Member+

J.W.Bridge of Church Street used to sell these old ranges. I know for a fact where this is still one in Accy (not working of course) and there is one in Haslingden, both having Bridge's "stamp" on them.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 17:18   #60
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
J.W.Bridge of Church Street used to sell these old ranges. I know for a fact where this is still one in Accy (not working of course) and there is one in Haslingden, both having Bridge's "stamp" on them.
The castings were produced at Lang Bridges.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..