Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-01-2013, 02:45   #61

Re: Black lead fireside range (please help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
It wasn't all bad, DiG. Sitting in a tin bath in front of the fire in the kitchen(we didn't have a scullery)was lovely- although I must admit once you were 15 it did get a bit embarrassing!
And of course by then your cousin was too big to fit in with you so one of you got a luke warm bath..
In a tin bath eh, thats posh. In the 40s whilst living in York St, Church I remember being bathed in the "Slopstone" acka "Earthenware Sink". Also we only had electricity downstairs - can even remember the smoke stains from the Candles which were place on the bedrooms mantelpiece, we even had a Tippler Toilet" - was alwys afraid of falling down one.
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-01-2013, 10:50   #62
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith higson View Post
In a tin bath eh, thats posh. In the 40s whilst living in York St, Church I remember being bathed in the "Slopstone" acka "Earthenware Sink".
Me too - I have a photo somewhere...
Old 27-01-2013, 13:20   #63
Junior Member+

Can any body tell me what soap they would have used in the tin bath, and also would they use it as a block or would they have grated it with a cheese like grater !!!!!!.

And when they were washing clothes in the dolly tub, what did they use no washing powder in those days.

And finally what was a poser used for and why did they use a poser and a dolly stick together.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 13:44   #64
Senior Member+

carbolic soap
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 14:02   #65
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
Can any body tell me what soap they would have used in the tin bath, and also would they use it as a block or would they have grated it with a cheese like grater !!!!!!.

And when they were washing clothes in the dolly tub, what did they use no washing powder in those days.

And finally what was a poser used for and why did they use a poser and a dolly stick together.
Bit of internet research some sites of which you may have already visited.

BTW it's a posser not a poser. Dolly stick appears to be the name for the wooden implement like a small stool with a long handle, posser is for the copper dome type of implement. Not used together as far as I can see but a dolly stick is also the name for a wooden stick used to take the clothes out of the tub after washing.

Washing Soda crystals would have been used in the dolly tub, also dolly blue to get things white.

Washing dollies, possers, laundry possing-sticks

?Back in the Day??: Life and How it was Lived a Hundred Years Ago II « "Not Yet Published"

Posser, Victorian, Original | Object Lessons - Houses & Homes: Victorians
Old 27-01-2013, 15:20   #66
God Member

I recall the dolly tub and the posser
....and the washboard
Wringer Washers & Washboards

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 15:35   #67
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I recall the dolly tub and the posser
....and the washboard
Wringer Washers & Washboards
Yep still got a glass washboard somewhere - never used by me but it had been left behind in the shed in the first house we bought in 1978 and too nice to throw away.
Old 27-01-2013, 16:22   #68
Beacon of light

It was Carbolic soap...or Olive soap...they used to cut it off in a lump when you went to the Co-op.
And yes my mum(and my gran) used grated carbolic soap for washing clothes and a huge chunk to rub on unsightly stains before whatever it was went into the dolly tub.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 17:32   #69
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith higson View Post
In a tin bath eh, thats posh. In the 40s whilst living in York St, Church I remember being bathed in the "Slopstone" acka "Earthenware Sink".
Bet it was cold for a bare bum, sitting on a slopstone sink drainer in winter!

I'm sure my grandmother(and maybe my mother) used to collect all the nearly finished bits of household soap and drop them in a jam jar with a bit of water in it- dissolved and made a sort of liquid soap for washing clothes.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 27-01-2013 at 17:34.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 19:08   #70
Beacon of light

Gordon we did that with bits of soap, but Ma used it for shampoo.....and dipped the comb into the slimy mixture and combed it through her hair before putting some crazy sort of bulldog clips in her hair, to make natural looking waves.
Old 27-01-2013, 22:28   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It was Carbolic soap...or Olive soap...they used to cut it off in a lump when you went to the Co-op.
And yes my mum(and my gran) used grated carbolic soap for washing clothes and a huge chunk to rub on unsightly stains before whatever it was went into the dolly tub.
I still use carbolic ... get it down at the health food store; and you can get olive too. I love the smell of carbolic in a hot shower. By the by, when Jethro says "in those days", does it make anyone else feel old I'll bet I'm not the only one on here who wore clogs
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 22:30   #72
Beacon of light

I never wore clogs, but I wore some pretty hideous jumble sale shoes...twopence(old money ) a pair.
Old 27-01-2013, 22:53   #73
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I never wore clogs, but I wore some pretty hideous jumble sale shoes...twopence(old money ) a pair.
Luxury
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 08:10   #74
Beacon of light

Eric, you wouldn't be saying that if you could have seen them...I would have preferred clogs!
Old 30-01-2013, 08:38   #75

I’ve just been reading all the very interesting accounts of the ‘luxuries’ of a by-gone era. Brought back memories - it's that 'age' thing. The house where I lived until I was 14 had a black-leaded fireplace and oven – my mother used to keep it well polished, hard work but not one complaint.
I was born in this house and my cot was the bottom drawer, never closed of course but it probably would have been a temptation to do so had I been a screaming baby (oops!).
Friday night was bath night – tin bath in the kitchen. Big rock kept in the garden during the summer became the bed-warmer in the winter – it was great, kept the heat well, wrapped in a blanket.
Dad held a big sheet of paper in front of the fire to create a draught and get it started – often paper caught on fire, no wonder I have a phobia about fire now.
Outside toilet, pan was emptied weekly. Yuk! Washday was Monday, ironing Tuesday and so on, never different. My mother possed the clothes in the dolly tub then put them through a heavy wringer. Clothes were hung out across the road on lines to dry, lines held up high with props to keep them out of the way of any passing vehicles, though not many of those.
Sheer luxury when we got a Council house…..and yes, I did wear clogs. Hand made by Thornber’s of Clitheroe if I remember rightly. I had a pair of blue ones. Lasted forever.
cashman and Eric like this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..