Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2016, 19:28   #16
Senior Member+

Re: book search

I deal in secondhand Lancashire-interest books. Message me your email address and I will send you my catalogue. I have a few of Hyndburn interest
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-02-2016, 20:06   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I deal in secondhand Lancashire-interest books. Message me your email address and I will send you my catalogue. I have a few of Hyndburn interest
P.M. sent, Yours Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 16:49   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
Sorry Taddy, there did not have the books you are looking for at Pendle Village. Might be an idea to keep an eye out in local charity shops as sometimes folk send stuff there when they clear relatives belongings out.Worth a try. Good luck. I will keep looking for you too.
Many thanks for looking, stay happy as always, , your's Taddy
Old 07-11-2017, 11:45   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Rowlf, I already have Huncoat Uncoated, plus another book called Within Grove, I have just found a reference to the book that I am searching for, the title is "Huncoat Remembered", by John Smith, it seems that it was printed in 1906, the copy that I once owned before lending it to a friend, (never to have it returned), must have been a reprinted edition possibly in the 1980s.

I am also looking for another book entitled "Huncoat Revisited" by Jim Ashton, published in 2000. Jim was an old aquaintaince and one time domino player/partner of mine.

Any clues as to where I can obtain the above books or any other literature, photo's etc about Huncoat or the surrouding area, would be very much appreciated.

Stay happy as alway's, yours Taddy
Yippee, I have just taken delivery of a book that I have been searching for since Mathusala,(think thats spelt right),was a babby.
The book Huncoat Remembered by John Smith as stated above.

I now only need Huncoat Revisited by Jimmy Ashton, (an old friend of mine)
now sadly no longer with us.

If anyone can point me in the right direction in obtaining a copy I would be a happy chappy.

Your's Taddy.
Rowlf and hilleluk like this.
Old 07-11-2017, 13:49   #20
Full Member+

Glad you managed to get one of the books you have looked for for so long. Hope you find the other one soon.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 19:03   #21
Senior Member+

I've checked my shelves, Taddy - nocandoo.
Old 07-11-2017, 20:22   #22

Quote:
I've checked my shelves, Taddy - nocandoo.
Thanks Bob, I will just have to bide my time and hope a copy turns before I turn my toes up.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:42   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Thanks Bob, I will just have to bide my time and hope a copy turns before I turn my toes up.
Message me about other titles
Old 08-11-2017, 09:14   #24

Hi Taddy,just seen this thread.I have a book by John Smith titled Huncoat remembered. The recollections of John Smith(1830-1923)You can have it with pleasure.It was in my dads collection which I kept when he died .He was brought up on Grime Row and there is a picture in the book of it.07773 960 410 Ime in Ossy.
cashman and Bob Dobson like this.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:35   #25

Many thanks Dave, see you tomorrow morning,
Yours, a grateful Taddy.
Old 09-11-2017, 15:53   #26

Good to meet you this morning Dave, P.M. sent.
Big Dave likes this.
Old 09-11-2017, 17:33   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
Glad you managed to get one of the books you have looked for for so long. Hope you find the other one soon.
Many thanks for my birthday present, (see P.M.)

I have had tears in my eyes whilst listenening to it, (memories are forever).
Thank you, Thank you.

Your's, ann ever grateful, Taddy.
Old 09-11-2017, 17:34   #28

should read (an) ever grateful.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:29   #29
Senior Member+

Another John Smith wrote 'A short history of the Huncoat Baptist Church' in 1909
Old 10-11-2017, 11:18   #30

Quote:
Another John Smith wrote 'A short history of the Huncoat Baptist Church' in 1909
John Smiths "Huncoat Remembered", was a collection of articles published in the Accrington Observer in 1906 and was put into book form in 1985 to commemorate the 900th anniversary of Huncoat being mentioned in the Doomsday Survey, one of only four places in north east Lancs to have that distinction.
The same John Smith also published "A History of the Huncoat Baptist Church",
in 1909.
If you know where I can pick up a copy of the second mentioned book without spending silly money, then I would be interested.
Your's, Taddy.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..