Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-01-2016, 09:15   #1

book search

Can any member help me please, I am searching for a book that was published probably in the 1980s, the books title eludes me but it was about Huncoat and it was written by a John Smith, Yours, Taddy
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-01-2016, 10:30   #2
Full Member+

Re: book search

There was a book entitled 'Huncoat Uncoated' written by John Goddard perhaps that is the one you are thinking of.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 11:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
There was a book entitled 'Huncoat Uncoated' written by John Goddard perhaps that is the one you are thinking of.
Thanks for the quick reply Rowlf, I already have Huncoat Uncoated, plus another book called Within Grove, I have just found a reference to the book that I am searching for, the title is "Huncoat Remembered", by John Smith, it seems that it was printed in 1906, the copy that I once owned before lending it to a friend, (never to have it returned), must have been a reprinted edition possibly in the 1980s.

I am also looking for another book entitled "Huncoat Revisited" by Jim Ashton, published in 2000. Jim was an old aquaintaince and one time domino player/partner of mine.

Any clues as to where I can obtain the above books or any other literature, photo's etc about Huncoat or the surrouding area, would be very much appreciated.

Stay happy as alway's, yours Taddy
Old 31-01-2016, 11:09   #4
Beacon of light

Try the library Taddy. Even if they have not got the books they may be able to help you track down a copy.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 11:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Try the library Taddy. Even if they have not got the books they may be able to help you track down a copy.
Thanks Margaret, It is so many years since I frequented a library that I never gave it a thought. , yours Taddy.
Old 31-01-2016, 11:44   #6
Full Member+

My dad was a friend of Jim Ashton. It was Jim who suggested the North West Sound Archives talk to my dad which they did. I have the books you are looking for. I think I have seen them in the Pendle Village at Brierfield. I will call this week and see if they still have them.Will let you know.
Old 31-01-2016, 11:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
My dad was a friend of Jim Ashton. It was Jim who suggested the North West Sound Archives talk to my dad which they did. I have the books you are looking for. I think I have seen them in the Pendle Village at Brierfield. I will call this week and see if they still have them.Will let you know.
Many thanks, Taddy
Old 31-01-2016, 15:52   #8
Senior Member+

I haven't seen either of these books for sale for many years. A chap called Hargreaves also wrote about his youth in Huncoat. He lived in Canada when last I heard of him but had a brother. I suggest you ring John Goddard, who will help if he can. Message me if you cannot find his number.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 20:08   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
"Huncoat Remembered", by John Smith, it seems that it was printed in 1906, the copy that I once owned before lending it to a friend, (never to have it returned), must have been a reprinted edition possibly in the 1980s.
Stay happy as alway's, yours Taddy
I once lent 2 so called friends books, the first one swore blind I had never lent him any thing, the 2nd after 12 months of pestering, I went to his house, and what was originally a new book was a tatty raggy thing, no apology for the state or any thing, they were no longer counted as friends, and since then I don't lend books or any thing else, and if they don't like it, tough. People like that aren't friends they are like magpies, if they can get it for nowt they will. DON'T lend books
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 20:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I haven't seen either of these books for sale for many years. A chap called Hargreaves also wrote about his youth in Huncoat. He lived in Canada when last I heard of him but had a brother. I suggest you ring John Goddard, who will help if he can. Message me if you cannot find his number.
Thanks Bob, I have the book by Thomas Hargreaves, it is called "Within Grove",
his brother Nigel still lives in the village.

I am in no big push to obtain the books by John Smith and Jimmy Ashton, I will just bide my time and see what comes up, thanks again, yours Taddy.
Old 31-01-2016, 20:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I once lent 2 so called friends books, the first one swore blind I had never lent him any thing, the 2nd after 12 months of pestering, I went to his house, and what was originally a new book was a tatty raggy thing, no apology for the state or any thing, they were no longer counted as friends, and since then I don't lend books or any thing else, and if they don't like it, tough. People like that aren't friends they are like magpies, if they can get it for nowt they will. DON'T lend books
Message received and understood. Taddy
Old 31-01-2016, 21:21   #12
Full Member+

I am like you Retlaw never lending books etc. I had a collection of books, photos on slides and 3D reels which I brought back from a lifetime all expenses paid trip to LA in 1964. There was also viewers for the slides and the reels. Countless people borrowed them and I always got them back safely in and good condition until I lent a so called friend them in 1977. I never got the collection back. She like your 'friend' swore blind she had given them back to me. She had a 2yr old like I had and I suspect he got his hands on things. I would not have been as angry or upset if she had come clean and told me what happened. It was stuff that could not be replaced and I was devastated. It certainly taught me a lesson.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:52   #13
Resting in Peace

Have you tried Amazon there are a few books about Huncoat on there
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:53   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Have you tried Amazon there are a few books about Huncoat on there
Yes thanks I am keeping a eye on Amazon and also on dedicated book seller sites such as Abebooks etc, thanks again, Taddy.
Old 01-02-2016, 18:24   #15
Full Member+

Sorry Taddy, there did not have the books you are looking for at Pendle Village. Might be an idea to keep an eye out in local charity shops as sometimes folk send stuff there when they clear relatives belongings out.Worth a try. Good luck. I will keep looking for you too.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..