Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2011, 20:40   #526

I am reading Alan Sugar's biography What You See is What You Get on my tablet pc which has the Kindle app.
phil8715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-07-2011, 21:11   #527
Beacon of light

Re: Bookworms: What are you reading at the moment?

Labyrinth by Kate Mosse another hard read...and heavy(not on the Kindle - but a paperback lent to me by a friend)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:20   #528
Resting in Peace

Just finished "Murder & Crime in the Lake District"
there are 9 tails of Murder from 1802 to 1942
very interesting.
free if you want to read it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg book.jpg (355.0 KB, 2 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:28   #529
Common Sense Member

The Elephant To Hollywood by Michael Caine.

Another well-written autobiography which paints an interesting picture of Hollywood life during the twentieth century. It is surprising how many truly famous people Michael Caine has come into contact with over the years although the opening chapter presumes a level of foreknowledge about him which makes you feel as if you've missed something really obvious that everyone else knows.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 19:58   #530
God Member

So..being back in Church for the long weekend I grabbed a little light reading from Lancashire's library service (albeit being nominally resident in the Capital, I have still maintained my membership of LCC's library services).

The first book I picked up and the one I opened last night was one from the crime section, by the American legal eagle John Grisham; the book spine has been clearly marked by the library with a small Colt 45 pistol insignia, indicating that this is of the adult crime genre. The title of the piece? Theodore Boone.

Last night - two pages into the book (it would have been less had it not been for a nice bottle of claret & a half bottle of port) I realised that this was anything but adult crime fiction. It was, in fact, a kiddies book which just happened to be written by Mr Grisham.

Now, I do not know which is worse. Is it a good crime writer such as Grisham trying to play a variation on Harry Pottert & Hogwarts in Strattenburg, good 'ol USA or is it some idiot at the Lancashire library service not knowing any better and just passing this off as a grown-up crime fiction? Whichever, I do know that I would never have had this experiance when Church library was open.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 05-08-2011 at 20:03.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:14   #531
Resting in Peace

This book makes for interesting reading as there has been a lot of new info released into the public domain made free from the public records office which this book is based on.
its free if you would like to read it.

Do you think he did it ? or not ?

This and other Free books can be found on the link below just pm me if you would like any of the books
http://www.accringtonweb.com/gallery...ry.php?cat=731
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0017.JPG (128.6 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Mick; 07-09-2011 at 06:20.
Old 07-09-2011, 22:18   #532
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Just finished "Rocket In My Pocket" by Max Decharne, a guide to rockabilly music, n started "Sun King" by Kevin @ Tanja Crouch, which is the life n times of Sam Phillips, both courtesy of me mate wynonie.
Old 08-09-2011, 17:41   #533
Beacon of light

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. Read it years ago...enjoyed it then, and have enjoyed reading it again.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 06:57   #534
Resting in Peace

Just finished
Famous war stories by people that where there

some interesting side stories

The Dam Busters

The Colditz story

The Battle of the River plate

The Bridge on the river Kwai

This is a Hard back book so must be local and or can meet in town to collect free
Other free books can be found on this link, just pm me if you would like one of the books
http://www.accringtonweb.com/gallery...ry.php/cat/731
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Famous war stories.jpg (247.1 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Mick; 23-10-2011 at 07:00.
Old 23-10-2011, 10:28   #535
I am Banned

Groove is currently working his way through Lee Childs thrillers featuring the hero Jack Reacher...Groove would recommend these books to his fellow Accywebbers.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 11:11   #536
God Member

Fiction is an escape.
I read non fiction only -especially the ones which enable me to enjoy being, so no escape is needed.

Eckhart Tolle - The Power of Now

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 11:14   #537
I am Banned

Groove likes the escape of fiction sometimes....reality cab be so miserable and down right cruel sometimes....Groove abhors true crime books, especially those Dave Pelzer books. Groove wonders how anyone can read about a traumatic, abusive childhood..but Groove understands its each to their own.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 11:49   #538
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Fiction is an escape.
I read non fiction only -especially the ones which enable me to enjoy being, so no escape is needed.

Eckhart Tolle - The Power of Now
There's some hell of conspiracy theories in the world of fiction Margaret, thought that would have been your cup of tea with plenty of sugar
Old 23-10-2011, 11:58   #539
God Member

Conspiracy derived from facts is more complex than conspiracy fiction, although some fiction has its basic story line in facts.

I regard refined sugar as poison

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 19:45   #540

I've just finished reading 'the woman he loved before' by Dorothy Koomson, a riveting read, I couldn't put it down and it's really got into my head, I recommend it to everyone. It's basically about a woman who marries a man whose last wife died in a tragic accident, but there's much more to it than that. I've haven't read any of her books previously, but I'm planning to get 'The ice cream girls' and looking forward to reading that too. She's a very talented author in my opinion.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..